The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Been lurking since first photography thread still kind of a "noob" but I ask to anybody should i buy the nikon d5000?
i searched reviews and it seems like a good buy, but i just need some NT FAM help, thanks!
pros & cons? and know anywhere i can get below retail price?

Butch: Talk to me about that 1dsII! Your personal pros and cons? How (in your personal opinion) is the high-ISO/low light performance? Is there visible bandinglike in the 5dII?

DJMano34: I think everyone will tell you that's a great started camera. If you don't need the video, save a few bucks and get the D3000 and get a 50mmf/1.8 lens to go with it in addition to the kit lens. When you're first starting to use a DSLR, make sure you give both Canon and Nikon a chance.Canon's equivalent would be the T1i and I believe it actually ranked higher by a few different websites. Either one is going to be a great camera.arsenalGUNNER's photo (here: http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/7853830/t/The-Official-Photography-Thread-Vol-3.html ) was shot with a D3000, just for reference. Also, don'tbe afraid to look into used gear. If you can tell us what you want to be shooting or where or what time of day even then that should help us a lot.Also, there's some really good stuff posted on the first post of this thread that you should find helpful.

went to the zoo yesterday.
4227195842_d5d08fa2cc_o.jpg
sick.gif
smokin.gif

my first time contributing here... pic of my 1.5 month old son... hands down, the best gift under the tree this year.
smile.gif

14alxkg.jpg

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Butch: Talk to me about that 1dsII! Your personal pros and cons? How (in your personal opinion) is the high-ISO/low light performance? Is there visible banding like in the 5dII?

DJMano34: I think everyone will tell you that's a great started camera. If you don't need the video, save a few bucks and get the D3000 and get a 50mm f/1.8 lens to go with it in addition to the kit lens. When you're first starting to use a DSLR, make sure you give both Canon and Nikon a chance. Canon's equivalent would be the T1i and I believe it actually ranked higher by a few different websites. Either one is going to be a great camera. arsenalGUNNER's photo (here: http://niketalk.yuku.com/sreply/7853830/t/The-Official-Photography-Thread-Vol-3.html ) was shot with a D3000, just for reference. Also, don't be afraid to look into used gear. If you can tell us what you want to be shooting or where or what time of day even then that should help us a lot. Also, there's some really good stuff posted on the first post of this thread that you should find helpful.

thanks man ill look into that. really aprreciate the help. i have a Nikon FM10 (film) used for class, but i want a digital and the camera was very good to me.I will be buying the d5000 soon, thanks again. I will be taking pictures of anything, day, night, landscape, home, etc... i will start posting once i get somegood ones. thanks again

Originally Posted by VanillaGorillaDX

Man, I want to get into photography so bad, but seems like an expensive hobby
tired.gif
It's completely worth it.. but unless you have a full time job its either sneakers or photography
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

Originally Posted by VanillaGorillaDX

Man, I want to get into photography so bad, but seems like an expensive hobby
tired.gif
It's completely worth it.. but unless you have a full time job its either sneakers or photography
eyes.gif

Fixed. It doesn't HAVE to be an expensive hobby. But doing that is kinda like only smoking one pack of cigarettes.
roll.gif

Eventually you'll want Nikon N/EX lenses or Canon L lenses, and then you'll want to go full frame, and then you'll need a speedlight, and thenyou'll need ABs, and then comes the ringflash, and then you're broke and you sell it all and start over again.

http://www.bhphotovideo.c...=0&InitialSearch=yes

Can someone tell me [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]where I can purchase replacement bulbs for a light like this[/color]?
Yes, I tried google, I get different shapes, maybe I'm not searching efficiently, but do they sell these lights at home depot, kohls, or somewhere moreaccessible?

Thank you in advance.

edit:
didn't know they had it so cheap, guess I don't mind shipping costs in that case, thank you
but just for future reference, this isn't anything you can get at a hardware store or anything like that right?

^ 135[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]L[/color]

If You use Firefox, download this add on. Thenright-click [properties] Images and you can see all the info as long as the creator makes it visible.

how funny, i was also going to ask quickster what lens he's using.

yay for the 135L... =D my recent pickup!!

and wow, sick firefox add on!

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Butch: Talk to me about that 1dsII! Your personal pros and cons? How (in your personal opinion) is the high-ISO/low light performance? Is there visible banding like in the 5dII?
Hey NikeAirsNCrispyTees...

In a nutshell... The 1Ds2 is an amazing body considering it's over 6 years old (compared to photography technology standards of today)... Pro levelbuild, functionality, 45 focus points, fast and accurate focusing speed... Fantastic control of exposure performance from ISO 50 through 1600... At ISO 3200,you do get banding but with proper "in-camera" settings and post production techniques, it's rarely an issue... That's probably due to thefact that you get more data on the RAW files because of its full-frame sensor... Nonetheless, a true blessing at your disposal if you need to shoot at such ahigh ISO rating... If there was one quarky thing about having an older 1D-series body, it's the fact that most of the functioning controls require a"two button" process... That means you need both hands to change settings and such, rather than todays' quicker "one button"procedure... But in time you'll be able to adjust and change the settings on the fly without thinking twice about it... As with all 1D-series bodies,weight comes into play (magnesium alloy build) but you have the luxury of knowing that it can take punishment beyond the ordinary... More over, the fullweathersealing trait that comes with the 1D-series body is the icing on the cake... Shoot in heavy rain, sleet, snow, sand, and/or dust storms without eventhinking about how your camera is going to perform and if it can handle the condition(s)... IT CAN!!!

With regards to a comparison with the 5D2, I honestly can't give you that assessment since I've never toyed around with that body... I did own theoriginal 5D, though, and it was a wonderful camera body... I can only imagine with the newer DIGIC image processor that the 5D2 has, it will have better ISOcontrol (than the 1Ds2) at higher levels... Banding will always come to play when applied to high ISO's... Proper exposure, "in-camera"setting, and post production processing will likely reduce (if not eliminate) that from the images... Anyhoo, thanks for asking about my 1Ds2... Let me knowif you have anymore questions... Peace and respect...

- airbutchie
smile.gif

I'm thisclose to picking up a Sigma 30mm F1.4. Does anyone have any experience with it that they can share? I'd obviously love to get the Canon 35mmf1.4L but its just not in my budget. Do you guys think the Sigma is good enough alternative?

I'm looking for a new walk around/everyday lens.

Thanks.

Hey, I have a pentax k200 and for some reason when i take a pic, it comes out blurry in the LCD screen, does anyone know why this happends?

Originally Posted by SoleAsian

Hey, I have a pentax k200 and for some reason when i take a pic, it comes out blurry in the LCD screen, does anyone know why this happends?

If your pics are blurry shoot at a faster shutter speed. Choose a larger F stop so your shutter speed can become faster or up your ISO.

Just got done with my second roll of film... excited to see how they are going to come out!

Back
Top Bottom