The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

a pic i took of lance mountain in nyc at the thrasher 30th anniversary exhibition

Love-Guts-nyc-17-599x800.jpg

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

Originally Posted by bns1201

Originally Posted by TheEmperor45

what makes someone a photographer then? Answer this with no ego and superficial definitions.
I've thought about this a lot, seeing as to how everyone is a photographer as a hobbyist these days. Even apps like Instagram and Hipstamatic have contributed to this phenomenon.
I think the 5 points that make a good photographer are:

1) Proficient technical understanding of the camera (knowing how lighting, aperture, etc. work), composition, AND developing and/or post-processing programs.

2) Creativity in formulating a shot - whether directing models, capturing the right moments at the right times, a unique perspective on everyday scenery.

3) Rapidity.  Second-nature, instinctual photography that comes from innate talent and experience.

4) Consistency.  Developing an individual style that refines a particular look or emotion in one's photography.

5) Content.  This is perhaps most important of all these days.  Everyone has access to a camera, if they put their time into it, they can gain the rapidity, the consistency, and experience.  What sets images apart is the content of the photography.  That's derived from access to personalities, locations, rare moments, and the ingenuity to piece them all together. And do it over and over again.  Everyone can have a great shot, but can you do it 100 times a day for the next 5 decades?
This pretty much nailed it.
I don't claim to be a great photographer myself. I made the same newbie mistakes when I started out. I look back at some of my early shots (like my first 2,000 or so, at least) and wonder what I was thinking.

The fact of the matter is, nobody is going to be an expert as soon as they pick up a camera and have access to photo editing software.  I've been shooting for four years now and still think I'm a newbie.

There's no easy way to just "be" a photographer. I see so many people taking shortcuts in this thread by adding borders, turning color to b/w, adding crazy filters and actions from Photoshop, tilting their camera to angles that don't capture their subject matter, and using all kinds of random lighting to create some pretty subpar photographs.

Fact of the matter is, you don't need crazy technology. The best camera you have is the camera that you have. I've taken some of my favorite shots with my Blackberry! 

The number one piece of advice I have for starting photographers is to lose the ego and be open to suggestions. I've been encouraged by the open discussion in this thread and hope that it continues. There are some great photographers on NT and I think it's great that some of you are taking it very seriously.

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Fact of the matter is, you don't need crazy technology. The best camera you have is the camera that you have. I've taken some of my favorite shots with my Blackberry! 

agreed. tho i'll admit, tech is what initially hooked me. seeing crisp/detailed/sharp/bokeh images is what got me into the hobby

5833213814_6cdc7bcaa7_z.jpg

5835642031_b516f03c34_z.jpg

5836194686_7cae7ffde4_z.jpg

5836192988_e3589b2d91_z.jpg

5835644291_b5f239be3a_z.jpg

5836191886_ecd2e93e17_z.jpg

5835639677_6ff5e54e45_z.jpg

5836193260_0ab2bd012c_z.jpg

5835642315_7dacd27d7d_z.jpg

5835644019_139aaeaf4c_z.jpg

5836191128_e08d5c1c0b_z.jpg

5836195802_323145246d_z.jpg

5835646391_df2ea81039_z.jpg

5836190674_a656c9e7cb_z.jpg

I got a question for photography heads...Since it came out i've been rocking with the Canon SD630 powershot. It's a 6.1 mp camera and to me it takes great photos for a point and shoot minus the extra's you guys get with your bigger cam's. I just wanted to know if their were any tips you could give me or maybe a good guide as how to maximize the potential for my simple camera.

Hey NT'ers....just a heads up...

I'm throwing a photo contest on my FB page. Winner gets a very cool iPhone 4 retro case:

2rhwlc3.jpg

I am going to post details of the theme/photo on my FB Fan Page tomorrow (Friday 17th) @ 8am PST.

I would really love it if an NT'er would win!
icon_smile.gif

**HINT - have your mobile phone/camera out!!

FB Fan Page - Urban Bliss Photography

Appreciate it guys!!

contest is up on FB page:

[h6]Photo Contest: First person to snap a pic of a BUS wins!! RTD, School, Prison Bus...whatever!! Take the pic, and upload on this page, or email, or upload to your wall and tag Urban Bliss Photography!

Rules:

- just so the pic isn't grabbed on google images (hehe), incorporate some body part onto the picture.... Finger, Head, ???? See example pic :smile:

SIMPLE. DO IT!![/h6]

I couldnt have been happier as when I purchased my first prime lens.
But even before the prime lens, an external flash mount is VERY important I think.
Even though both make a huge difference, I was suprised as hell as to the difference the external flash mount made on my regular kit lens.

pics below not related.
IMG_4448.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

Originally Posted by adob0

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

agreed. tho i'll admit, tech is what initially hooked me. seeing crisp/detailed/sharp/bokeh images is what got me into the hobby

Word. I remember the pic that got me into the hobby.

It was posted in the WDYWT thread around Christmas time. It was a picture of
the Fire Red V's (07?) backlit by a Christmas tree. The crispyness and bokeh made the shoes
that much more appealing.

Back
Top Bottom