The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

4287627286_b752f46eae.jpg

4286882863_e6e93e59c6.jpg

4286882681_0949f38b6d.jpg

Originally Posted by eaglebball1499

Wow, great stuff in this thread, really really talented people in here, and makes me look forward to what I'm going to do.

Hoping you all can help me out. I'm taking the plunge into the DSLR world, and am planning on doing so for my wife for valentine's day. We've been borrowing my parents' Nikon D40 (totally stock) whenever we take trips, and it's time to get our own. My wife really enjoys photography and it's something we'll both enjoy growing into. I often turn back while we're walking through somewhere and she's stopped 100 feet back, snapping away.

I'm looking at the Nikon D5000, but am unsure about which lens to start with. I'm leaning away from the standard 18-55mm kit lens, but am otherwise torn on which way to go:

35mm f/1.8G AF-S http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

or

55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

From what I've researched I think both work well off one anthoer, so we'd probably end up with both in the long run, but which do I start with? We like to shoot a lot of landscape and city shots and nature closeups, but will also invariably use it at birthday parties, etc. from time to time as well.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.
happy.gif

So here's the deal-- you can't go wrong with the kit lens. It's not the world's greatest lens, but it is a bargain buy and well worth it.
The 35mm f/1.8G is a great lens as well. One of Nikon's better choices of lenses to produce and release.
The 55-200 f/4-5.6 lens is trash. At 200mm it's incredibly soft and has a lot of trouble focusing. Beyond that, it's poorly built and very fragile andis loud as can be.

That being said, cop the D5000 kit with the 18-55mm kit lens on refurb: http://www.adorama.com/INKD5000RD.html?searchinfo=nikon+d5000+kit
Get a used 50mm f/1.8 lens: http://www.adorama.com/US 371524.html?searchinfo=nikon+50mm+f/1.8(D stands for Demo. It probably just sat in a case.)
And since you shoot landscapes and you'll need the range, at least get the VR version: http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20359885.html?searchinfo=nikonç200+vr
Unfortunately, there aren't really many options for that long telephoto range without spending over $600 AT LEAST.

By buying used/refurbished, you're saving a TON of money, and in most cases you'd never notice they were used unless they told you.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

So here's the deal-- you can't go wrong with the kit lens. It's not the world's greatest lens, but it is a bargain buy and well worth it.
The 35mm f/1.8G is a great lens as well. One of Nikon's better choices of lenses to produce and release.
The 55-200 f/4-5.6 lens is trash. At 200mm it's incredibly soft and has a lot of trouble focusing. Beyond that, it's poorly built and very fragile and is loud as can be.

That being said, cop the D5000 kit with the 18-55mm kit lens on refurb: http://www.adorama.com/INKD5000RD.html?searchinfo=nikon+d5000+kit
Get a used 50mm f/1.8 lens: http://www.adorama.com/US 371524.html?searchinfo=nikon+50mm+f/1.8 (D stands for Demo. It probably just sat in a case.)
And since you shoot landscapes and you'll need the range, at least get the VR version: http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20359885.html?searchinfo=nikon�200+vr
Unfortunately, there aren't really many options for that long telephoto range without spending over $600 AT LEAST.

By buying used/refurbished, you're saving a TON of money, and in most cases you'd never notice they were used unless they told you.

"D" stands for "Distance" not "Demo".It means it adds distance information to the data supplied by the lens to the camera...itsjust one of those types of lens by Nikon.

Originally Posted by AIR Kamote23

"D" stands for "Distance" not "Demo".It means it adds distance information to the data supplied by the lens to the camera...its just one of those types of lens by Nikon.

[h1]Please Use the Following Scale & Guidelines:[/h1]
  • N) New (Brand new)
    All original packaging and manuals included.
  • D) Demo (Like New)
    Like New with little or no signs of use.
  • E+) Excellent Plus
    May have slight wear but only visible under close up inspection.
  • E) Excellent
    Lens Glass very clean - cosmetically may show slight wear and/or signs of use.
  • E-) Excellent Minus
    Shows signs of moderate use - Lens Glass is perfect but may have some dust which will not affect picture quality.
  • V) Very Good
    Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality.
  • G) Good
    Appears to have been used very heavily with multiple dings, scrapes, scratches and heavy brassing. Glass may have fungus, excessive dust and/or scratches that can affect picture quality.
  • F) Fair Item works with certain malfunctions. Read comments for exact malfunction details.
  • X) For parts only.
  • OB) Open Box
    Was on display in our retail store, or used once or twice for training our sales associates or returned for any number of reasons.
Link

Originally Posted by AIR Kamote23

"D" stands for "Distance" not "Demo".It means it adds distance information to the data supplied by the lens to the camera...its
just one of those types of lens by Nikon.

[h1]Please Use the Following Scale & Guidelines:[/h1]
  • N) New (Brand new)

All original packaging and manuals included.
  • D) Demo (Like New)

Like New with little or no signs of use.
  • E+) Excellent Plus

May have slight wear but only visible under close up inspection.
  • E) Excellent

Lens Glass very clean - cosmetically may show slight wear and/or signs of use.
  • E-) Excellent Minus

Shows signs of moderate use - Lens Glass is perfect but may have some dust which will not affect picture quality.
  • V) Very Good

Appears
    well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is
    in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should
    not affect picture quality.
  • G) Good

Appears
    to have been used very heavily with multiple dings, scrapes, scratches
    and heavy brassing. Glass may have fungus, excessive dust and/or
    scratches that can affect picture quality.
  • F) Fair Item works with certain malfunctions. Read comments for exact malfunction details.
  • X) For parts only.
  • OB) Open Box
    Was
    on display in our retail store, or used once or twice for training our
    sales associates or returned for any number of reasons.
Link

Ooops...I stand corrected.I didn't noticed the condition where it says "D".
embarassed.gif
All along I thought the "D" you're mentioning wasthe AF-D
laugh.gif
my bad, my bad...

Originally Posted by sigmakidownz

Originally Posted by RuleOfThirds

Sup NT, just wanted to get some feedback on my very first music video.
I've done promo work for clubs, car shows and personal stuff but never
actually
directed a video. I even did the casting call for the models. Check it
out and let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advanced!
happy.gif

http://wethewest.com/vide...eodirectlink&id=1134

If someone could embed, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Saw this video on your other thread. Which did you use most, the 7D or the 5D?
The 5D because it handled low light situations way better
happy.gif

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

jordan supreme - Andrew Heap and Tyler Heap. Tyler is a freshman so I don't think he plays, and Andrew may be on his Mormon mission thing.

yeah, i'm Mormon too so i know all about that... that's awesome though, just to make the BYU team is a huge deal, they are so good.

a couple of car pics
rti7wg.jpg

2v187ip.jpg

2uy3n1e.jpg

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

^ thanks.

I was gonna start a new thread for this question...but I might as well keep this here where all I can probably get the best answer I'm looking for.

What are your thoughts on the micro-four-thirds? Like the Lumix GF-1?
lumix-gf1.jpg

I'm looking to buy a good point and shoot camera that I can take with me when I dont feel like lugging my D90 around and I came across these. I've read some reviews online and this puppy got some awesome reviews on-line...but most of those sites are biased
eyes.gif
(ahem..ken rockwell)

what i know:
- cost a lot. (cost as much as a prosumer DSLR)
- takes pictures as good as a DSLR, or so from what I've read.
- inter-changeable lenses like a DSLR...but the I guess the only lens that matter as this point is the 20mm f/1.7
- NO VR or IS (what ever language you speak, it doesnt offer it at the moment)
- ISO 1600
- Shoots decent HD videos
- no AF servo
- very limited selection for lenses.

- in your opinion, is this something worth investing in? Not this particular model...probably next gen ones?
- Is the micro four thirds here to stay? or will it fade away in to nothingness in a couple of years?

Anyways...leaning towards the Canon S90.
pimp.gif
Micro 4/3ds is going to be the next wave of interchangable lens cameras IMO. More companies are jumping on the bandwagon (Samsung just announcedtheir NX10) Great quality images, compact size, and the ability to use almost any lenses (with an adapter).
I am actually looking into the Olympus E-P2 right now because the new electronic view finder is great and I already have Olympus Zuiko glass. I'm going towait until the prices become more competitive towards the entry level DSLR price ranges.

I've heard nothing but good things about the GF-1. Once prices start to drop, I think Micro 4/3s will be raking in a large chunk of the consumers from theDSLR market.

I'm lookin for a zoom lens, can someone recommend me a good cheap lens for around $300 or $400?

Originally Posted by whokid23

Whokid...are you a canon or nikon shooter?

Sorry, i should've included that information. Im a Canon user, Canon T1i

If you can raise that price to about $500, you can get a used 70-200 f/4L.
pimp.gif

@AIR Kamote23 - I see where you got that now. I don't usually look past"AF" on used/old lenses for Nikon because once you see AF, you're straight. Even with AI you're still straight, just no AF.

Originally Posted by whokid23

Whokid...are you a canon or nikon shooter?

Sorry, i should've included that information. Im a Canon user, Canon T1i

If you can raise that price to about $500, you can get a used 70-200 f/4L.
pimp.gif
hard to find a good zoom lens less thatn $500
tired.gif

Originally Posted by rocafella kidd

Quickster had a quick question on what your using as the floor on the photos? i bought a piece of black granite but seems to small to do normal size shoes..
4289698456_5c25fe17a2.jpg

4289699740_2f7c05949a.jpg

4288954771_6bc68c5975.jpg
i use my old black tv stand and i have a glass on top of it. its not that big but since i dont have a wide angle, im using my sigma 50/1.4 on my50D. with the correct focal length, and placement of the shoes, it can be more than enough.

Originally Posted by eaglebball1499

Wow, great stuff in this thread, really really talented people in here, and makes me look forward to what I'm going to do.

Hoping you all can help me out. I'm taking the plunge into the DSLR world, and am planning on doing so for my wife for valentine's day. We've been borrowing my parents' Nikon D40 (totally stock) whenever we take trips, and it's time to get our own. My wife really enjoys photography and it's something we'll both enjoy growing into. I often turn back while we're walking through somewhere and she's stopped 100 feet back, snapping away.

I'm looking at the Nikon D5000, but am unsure about which lens to start with. I'm leaning away from the standard 18-55mm kit lens, but am otherwise torn on which way to go:

35mm f/1.8G AF-S http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

or

55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

From what I've researched I think both work well off one anthoer, so we'd probably end up with both in the long run, but which do I start with? We like to shoot a lot of landscape and city shots and nature closeups, but will also invariably use it at birthday parties, etc. from time to time as well.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.
happy.gif

The 55-200 f/4-5.6 lens is trash. At 200mm it's incredibly soft and has a lot of trouble focusing. Beyond that, it's poorly built and very fragile and is loud as can be.

Get a used 50mm f/1.8 lens: http://www.adorama.com/US 371524.html?searchinfo=nikon+50mm+f/1.8 (D stands for Demo. It probably just sat in a case.)
And since you shoot landscapes and you'll need the range, at least get the VR version: http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20359885.html?searchinfo=nikon�200+vr

Thanks for the input, man. What do you think about starting with a 15-105mm as opposed to the standard 15-55 kit lens? I've been asking for input on thedpreview forums as well, and that's a recommendation I've been getting a lot. I can get the D5000 with the 15-105 as the kit lens for $860 shipped:that sound like a good deal?

^^^^^I saw a D5000 body go for $629 and that lens you want for #319...so for the price you mentioned, you're saving a couple of bucks. I have that kit lensand it is ok for a starter. It gets wide enough and the zoom is the best I have seen on a kit lens but still, isn't the sharpest lens out there.

Originally Posted by RuleOfThirds

Originally Posted by sigmakidownz

RuleOfThirds wrote:

Sup NT, just wanted to get some feedback on my very first music video.

I've done promo work for clubs, car shows and personal stuff but never

actually

directed a video. I even did the casting call for the models. Check it

out and let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advanced!
happy.gif

http://wethewest.com/vide...eodirectlink&id=1134

If someone could embed, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Saw this video on your other thread. Which did you use most, the 7D or the 5D?
The 5D because it handled low light situations way better
happy.gif

Wondering if you can explain why the 5D handles better in low light. Better ISO or is jt just the camera?

Back
Top Bottom