The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^Nice. Sky looks a little weird and the flags but I guess that comes with the long exposure. Looks good nonetheless.

Work in progress:

I need to start learning more about photoshop and different effects.

Last edited:
^Nice. Sky looks a little weird and the flags but I guess that comes with the long exposure. Looks good nonetheless.

Work in progress:

I need to start learning more about photoshop and different effects.
The background is distracting... I don't think it was a planned shoot but either way, you could've done a better job with that.

The "before" looks better than the "after"... you brought back the blown out areas too much. It's starting to look like a HDR. Is that what you're going for?

Last edited:
The background is distracting... I don't think it was a planned shoot but either way, you could've done a better job with that.

The "before" looks better than the "after"... you brought back the blown out areas too much. It's starting to look like a HDR. Is that what you're going for?

Thanks for the input! appreciate it.

HDR is what I'm trying to avoid. I just wanted to bring out the shadows on the wheels since it seems to be really dark in that area. I'll bring the shadows back down and have it more cooler instead. I only boosted the clarity up to 15 to bring out some of the lines on the car. People always say that a lot of my pics have distractions. Having a hard time working with that.

Thanks for the input! appreciate it.

HDR is what I'm trying to avoid. I just wanted to bring out the shadows on the wheels since it seems to be really dark in that area. I'll bring the shadows back down and have it more cooler instead. I only boosted the clarity up to 15 to bring out some of the lines on the car. People always say that a lot of my pics have distractions. Having a hard time working with that.
Use Photoshop and start to understand how to use layer masks to only affect desired parts of the image and not entirely.

Currently own a Nikon D3100...need some advice from you guys. Should I buy a d7100 or just continue to save up for d300s?

Depends on what you want to shoot in the future. I own a D3100 right now and I'm trying to sell it to get a MKii. I want to upgrade to full frame and canon lenses are a little cheaper than nikon in the long run

I'm looking to do more sports and action photography

Yeah man... it's easy to pick up and get good at. Once you do, you can bring back more information in blown areas or shadow areas without it looking like an HDR.

Subtle mask layers...

This is Boyle Street Bridge, the nicest bridge crossing the LA river that I know of.

A lot of people shoot a reflection of the bridge from inside the river, I figured I'd do something else.

I heard that these bridges are set to get destroyed sometime in the near future, not sure how much time we're talking about

but man... this bridge is beautiful!

This is in East Los... Hollenbeck Park. I usually get the emails of the skaters I take pictures of to show them the pictures, but I didn't for this dude.

Oh well...

This was in a skate park in South Pasadena I believe... the skill level there was insane! Everybody was busting some ridiculous stuff!

Any recommendations for a 4/3rds camera? My brother is looking into one...That or a DSLR...As a college kid, his budget is 300-400. :nerd:

Any recommendations for a 4/3rds camera? My brother is looking into one...That or a DSLR...As a college kid, his budget is 300-400. :nerd:

I got a D3100 with the 18-55mm if you're interested in your price range :nerd:...and I'm local to :D

I almost had my hands on a Canon M. I know they had issues but for the price, I really want to know how it performs. On ebay, they go for $300 or so but ONLY get it with the 22mm f/2. Also like any camera, it depends on the photographer and even the post processing.

Check out this blog. This post literally sold me on it that it'd be a good walk around camera for when I don't want to bring my DSLR. This was shot on macro mode and bokeh looks decently nice:

canon-eos-m-review-0002.jpg
canon-eos-m-review-0001.jpg

http://www.dylandsara.com/canon-eos-m-review/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-M...220487?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item35c1e422c7

Very subtle difference in this one. I want to take more pictures where I can use the lens flare option or create my own in PS.

Before:

After:

Chicago: via Sony NEX F3

how do you like that camera? i had the same one (i'd still be using it had i not moved to the nex-6), thought it was a pretty awesome picture & video taker and the fact that i could legit fit into my coat pocket with the 16mm pancake lens made it great to walk around with

it's a great starter camera, prior to this I was basically just doing mobile photography via iPhone. Im kinda surprised that mirrorless cameras dont get more play in this thread, since they put out pretty high quality images. Thoughts on the nex-6 so far?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom