The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

it's a great starter camera, prior to this I was basically just doing mobile photography via iPhone. Im kinda surprised that mirrorless cameras dont get more play in this thread, since they put out pretty high quality images. Thoughts on the nex-6 so far?

word, the image quality is definitely on par with some dslrs without the massive footprint...nex-6 is basically the same camera as the f3, with the ability to go shoot 100 iso to 256k iso (compared to 200 & 16k for the f3), shoot 60 fps in 1080, but the electronic viewfinder was the main reason i decided to "upgrade" it really is necessary on days the sun is beaming making it hard to see the lcd screen. i also love the fact that it has a physical mode dial rather than having to go through the menu. after reading all the rave reviews of the nex-6 and coming from the f3 it was a no brainer. similarly before i was always taking pictures with my phone or point & shoot cams, so i most def am not an experienced photographer but i love the camera!

I know I don't post pictures much anymore (post grad work life hasn't left much time for it), but I'll still make time to talk about gear. Amazon has 5D mark III body for $2,699.00. Just a heads up to anyone who was interested in making that leap.

Amazon product ASIN B007FGYZFI

Last edited:
Any suggestions on a lens for outdoors for snappin kid pictures. Any tips. Just purchased a T3i rebel

Any suggestions on a lens for outdoors for snappin kid pictures. Any tips. Just purchased a T3i rebel

Shoot high ISO if you want to freeze their action shots. If you have the kit lens, shoot way open at f/3.5. You should be good with that and no need to fiddle with the white balance.

I don't know much about gear and all that... so I wouldn't know what lens to recommend you.

If all you have is the kit lens you should be fine for shooting kids.

Since you're going to be shooting outside:

Shoot on Aperture Priority mode.

Shoot as wide open as possible.

If the little boogers are going to be moving around a lot shoot on AI SERVO.

i've recently started taking pics will def be trying to update more often and learn

and does uploading to photobucket decrease the definition of your photos? they seem to not be as clear once uploaded.

Last edited:
you want to be as far as possible. 70-200mm type lens would be good. 2.8 aperture if possible but 4 is ok too. usually outside is bright so you dont need a fast lens that often but still, it doesnt hurt.

Back
Top Bottom