The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by obie21

Question to those who use film..

when you guys develop the film..where do you guys develop them at, does it even matter?

and do you guys get the actual photos or have them placed on a  cd?

I have 5 rolls that I've shot since I picked up my Rebel G again a few months ago and haven't gotten them developed yet. Why? Because I'll be taking it to this place called Chromatics downtown (Nashville) and if traffic's bad it can take me near an hour to get there. If you're shooting on dollar film, just take it to Walgreens/Costco/CVS/Walmart/whatever because chances are getting the film developed at a nice shop won't make a difference. If you're shooting on Kodak, Fujifilm, etc. spend the extra couple of bucks for good developing and get the CD as well unless you have a slide scanner.

The other advantage to spending a little more is that if you have a horribly underexposed photo, they can push/pull it a stop or two if you give them that liberty.

What camera are you shooting on?

28va8bc.jpg

eqs3gk.jpg

e96a12.jpg

when you guys develop the film..where do you guys develop them at, does it even matter?

I just got a roll of Kodak Ektar 100 developed and put onto a CD at Costco for a little less than $5 total. I feel that they do a much better job than the CVS and the like around my way. Heres a few shots straight from the camera, save for the resize and tags.
4405239677_9812e443f5_o.png

4405239865_a3f8408f0f_o.png

4405240053_ab3ccf8965_o.png

nerd.gif

i develop it myself, i find that this is the best way to avoid any problems. trusting places like cvs is difficult bc they are morons. plus, they dont do 120 medium format. i use 35mm and 120. we have some local camera shops that develop medium format also, but they charge quite a bit (7-20 bucks depending on the exposures).
also, you can get them on a cd, but having a negative scanner is very useful if you're frequently scanning film.

This is kind of embarrassing but since I never knew how to do it, I want to ask anyways. How do people go about doing the lomo look with photos on photoshop? I have read some tutorials online but I refuse to believe that it is that complicated. The way I do it is just with an inner shadow and mess with the settings and transparancy but I always wondered if there was a better or more efficient way of doing this. Any tips?

snap_shot_wheregoingWS.jpg

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by YUNG FLiP iMAGE

Damn Fong, you need to be a skate photographer
pimp.gif

Advice? I need to start taking photos of me and my friends skating.

I wish man but a lot of those shots I really had no idea what I was doing. Actually I hate to say it but most of my shots with a fisheye are a given with skate photos. The effect is so nice that all you have to do is frame a skater right and your photo should be straight. A regular lens is where the real challenge is and I think looks more timeless then fisheye photos. I guess if there was any advice I can give when I see a skate photo is to just make sure you frame the skater with it's environment correctly. Like don't just have a skater all centered in the middle of a picture. Have them offset a little and capture what he is skating.

The magazine that is just doing things in the photo department with skate covers is Skaterboarder. Check out just a few of there past issues:

^^Pfanner cover is the best!

True true, I know catching the environment part, but in terms of no blurriness with the skater moving. Is there anything else to it other than shutter priority? Or is it just the advantage of a fisheye?

Also, pardon my ignorance, but lomo photography?

^^^^If you are shooting in the sun, you don't have to really trip. You can jack the ISO up but you really don't have to. I think I had it at the highest like ISO 800 and I was using my 18-105 3.5 lens during most of it. But if you shoot at dusk or at dark, that is where you have to get into external flashes and triggers. I mean people use flashes even during the daytime to get that effect but it can be unnecessary. That is what I kind of want to get into next (like how Quick shoots cars) but I have no loot right now and I want to get my tattoo finished.

Well....I said lomo effect but I was more talking about the shadow that it creates. Lomos are film cameras that have a unique look when it is show. Just google lomography to find out more.

This is kind of embarrassing but since I never knew how to do it, I want to ask anyways. How do people go about doing the lomo look with photos on photoshop? I have read some tutorials online but I refuse to believe that it is that complicated. The way I do it is just with an inner shadow and mess with the settings and transparancy but I always wondered if there was a better or more efficient way of doing this. Any tips?

I feel like it's way too complicated and often overused, but like a fisheye lens has its applications. After doing the standard levels and WB adjustments, to get that effect, I adjust curves and then Image>Adjustments>Variations and work from there. Or, you can just download .atns (PS Action files).

I just did a deviantart search for "lomography actions" and a bunch came up if you want more.

Hey Fongstarr - lemme know if you want an action (i use cs3) for lomo.  I used it for the ones I posted awhile back on this thread. 
peace.

[noob]

what is the gist of taking photos like this? not to sound like a trend follower but, i might go to the philippines this summer and i might consider buying a dslr for it, even though ive always thought that they are rediculously overpriced if i think about the amount of time im actually going to use it.

so it consists of buying a camera? body? then a good lense? then what? i take it its not as easy as taking pics right away and expect nice pics? so i'd need to learn about settings and stuff?
what do the lenses add to the pictures? do the lenses need to be the same brand as the body? depending on the price, i want to stay entry level but not take away must have quality.

[/noob]

Originally Posted by Killmatic07

Used Nikon D40 for $210 or New Canon Powershot SD940IS for $225?
One question: what's your purpose? Simple answer: SD940IS. Why? The SD940IS sensor is about 8 years newer than the D40 (2009 vs. 2001). Also, Canon OWNS the point-and-shoot market. I started on a D40X (4 more MPs and a little bit better sensor than a D40). Unless you're looking for a long-term, ridiculously expensive investment. In most cases, it's not worth lugging around the big camera. The SD940IS has 6MP more of resolution. That being said, the D40X that I had has a 10.2MP sensor and prints 11x17 inch prints with NO noise or other problems.

Originally Posted by Mycoldyourdone

[noob]

what is the gist of taking photos like this? not to sound like a trendfollower but, i might go to the philippines this summer and i mightconsider buying a dslr for it, even though ive always thought that theyare rediculously overpriced if i think about the amount of time imactually going to use it.

so it consists of buying a camera? body? then a good lense? then what?i take it its not as easy as taking pics right away and expect nicepics? so i'd need to learn about settings and stuff?
what do the lenses add to the pictures? do the lenses need to be thesame brand as the body? depending on the price, i want to stay entrylevel but not take away must have quality.

[/noob]
They're not ridiculously overpriced, for one (not trying to be a douche, just trying to be helpful and possibly save you money). My newest body (no lens) was $2K and was more than worth it. If it's overpriced to you, don't buy a DSLR. Those of us using a DSLR are shooting seriously nearly every single day, and not just pics of friends.

Part 2 of your question: Yes. Yes. Yes, several times over. Then a flash, external lighting, filters, memory cards, et cetera. Learning to shoot in different "settings" is a serious time investment and will take you about 6 months or more to fully understand, and after you understand them it may not be worth the time and effort. The settings you're referring to probably refer to terms such as: aperture, exposure, ISO, shutter speed, composition, rule of thirds, bokeh, et cetera.

What is sounds like you're looking for is DSLR resolution photos without the hassle. In that case, you're looking for a Canon G9, G10, or G11. When making that purchase, remember that more megapixels doesn't mean better. My D40X (as stated above) made several 11x17 inch prints that had no problems no matter how close you looked. Most people don't actually need more than 5-6 megapixels, realistically.

If you still think a DSLR is for you, welcome to your next terribly expensive hobby. We'd be happy to help you spend that money.
happy.gif

None.jpg

Piazza del Popolo in Rome. (playing with some settings in Picnik, was curious after Google bought them).

Back
Top Bottom