The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

City pics are lovely! To offset the high ISO you would use a longer shutter speed, but you'd NEED a tripod for a clear picture

tokes99 tokes99 elderwatsondiggs elderwatsondiggs Good looking out on the tips/advice. I went ahead and copped the A6000 and a 50mm 1.8f lens. I'm really impressed with it. I know EWD was sounding like he's was on Sony's payroll to some but the videos and links he posted were definitely worth looking into, lol.. They're not lying when they say the auto focus is fast. I like the apps you're able to use, like uploading straight to Flickr or the motion app that pastes the multiple pics together.

Here's a few I took tonight. The camera has this Auto ISO feature that you can set the range between 100 to 26000 ISO. I have mine set to 100 to 6400. The night pics came out at 3200. Maybe I'm too critical but I wish I would've set it lower than 3200.

American Airlines Arena by 305Flash, on Flickr

Miami Skyline by 305Flash, on Flickr

Panarama Miami by 305Flash, on Flickr

Me at work being amazing at what the 50mm does. :lol:

Untitled by 305Flash, on Flickr

Another cool thing, my boy was telling me to invest in a wireless remote to set off the pic. I went to the store to look into it and the lady told me it was $30 but said if I had a smartphone I should download the Playmemories app. The app allows me to use the phone as a wifi access point. Now I can use my phone as a viewfinder and press a button on the phone to snap the pic.

I've been wanting to do some Miami night phtotography but don't know about the parking situation. Any advice?

tokes99 tokes99 elderwatsondiggs elderwatsondiggs Good looking out on the tips/advice. I went ahead and copped the A6000 and a 50mm 1.8f lens. I'm really impressed with it. I know EWD was sounding like he's was on Sony's payroll to some but the videos and links he posted were definitely worth looking into, lol.. They're not lying when they say the auto focus is fast. I like the apps you're able to use, like uploading straight to Flickr or the motion app that pastes the multiple pics together.

Another cool thing, my boy was telling me to invest in a wireless remote to set off the pic. I went to the store to look into it and the lady told me it was $30 but said if I had a smartphone I should download the Playmemories app. The app allows me to use the phone as a wifi access point. Now I can use my phone as a viewfinder and press a button on the phone to snap the pic.

[COLOR=#red]DB305 congrats my dude and great pics!! The smart remote app works with your smartphone for a remote trigger. You can adjust ISO, f-stop, zoom, and even set a timer if need be. It's near instantaneous.

But yeah that 50mm prime is a great lens...great for portraits as well...especially when you use the eye autofocus feature. You bought one of the most advanced cameras on the market regardless of DSLR, Mirrorless, or Point and Shoot and that's not me saying that, the respected camera sites have said as much (check out DXOmark.com). How it comes in at $649 body only is a mystery...the once lauded Olympus ODM EM1 costs $1400 body only and it gets totally outclassed by the a6000 with higher resolution, a bigger and better sensor (APS-C vs 4/3), better image processor, faster autofocus, much better lowlight performance, faster shooting, and smaller and lighter.

The camera market is slow to change...but when you take away opinion and perception and look at empirical data, and look at capability, performance, and results mirrorless cameras are the future. The Full Framed A7 series, and the APS-C E-mount a6000, Nex-7, Nex-6, Nex 5T are ushering in the change slowly but surely. [/COLOR]

Last edited:
iamdef iamdef Thanks. I'll probably end up going back there in a few weeks.

khankussionz khankussionz The parking situation is simply but depending on where you go out might cost. I made a wrong turn last week and ended up on the other side of Jungle Island to see fireworks, parking was $1 per hour. Parking across from Bayside is like $6 minimum. Around Wynwood I believe it's free. In Coral Gables, there's a lot of street parking. There's also a lot of plazas so I'm sure you can park in one and walk to wherever. I'm still trying to find more spots.

[COLOR=#red]DB305 congrats my dude and great pics!! The smart remote app works with your smartphone for a remote trigger. You can adjust ISO, f-stop, zoom, and even set a timer if need be. It's near instantaneous.

But yeah that 50mm prime is a great lens...great for portraits as well...especially when you use the eye autofocus feature. You bought one of the most advanced cameras on the market regardless of DSLR, Mirrorless, or Point and Shoot and that's not me saying that, the respected camera sites have said as much (check out DXOmark.com). How it comes in at $649 body only is a mystery...the once lauded Olympus ODM EM1 costs $1400 body only and it gets totally outclassed by the a6000 with higher resolution, a bigger and better sensor (APS-C vs 4/3), better image processor, faster autofocus, much better lowlight performance, faster shooting, and smaller and lighter.

The camera market is slow to change...but when you take away opinion and perception and look at empirical data, and look at capability, performance, and results mirrorless cameras are the future. The Full Framed A7 series, and the APS-C E-mount a6000, Nex-7, Nex-6, Nex 5T are ushering in the change slowly but surely. [/COLOR]

Ive shot a lot in the Intelligent Auto mode. I'm gonna keep practicing my manual mode. I also want to get the hang of metering and focus area. The Sony store near my home has free classes on Saturdays, I'm gonna check one of their advance classes out.

I def suggest practicing everyday in manual mode. Once you learn how shutter speed, aperture, and ISO affects a photo you'll basically understand the fundamentals of taking pictures 

City pics are lovely! To offset the high ISO you would use a longer shutter speed, but you'd NEED a tripod for a clear picture

[COLOR=#red]I see you're from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I was there working while I took a semester off from school. I have a picture of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge that I'm going to enter into a photo contest...man that bridge and the downtown area at night is a photographers dream. For those who never seen the bridge I'm posting a picture of it below. It's trippy to look at while driving over it especially at night. It's symmetrically asymmetrical...It's made by the world famous architect Santiago Calatrava. I'd love to photograph his other creations...dude is sick with it. [/COLOR]

Last edited:
Manual mode is POINTLESS unless you are going for a desired effect or night photography. Use aperture priority mode. Figure out the aperture you want, let the camera do the metering for you, then make small adjustments to that.

[COLOR=#red]I see you're from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I was there working while I took a semester off from school. I have a picture of the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge that I'm going to enter into a photo contest...man that bridge and the downtown area at night is a photographers dream. For those who never seen the bridge I'm posting a picture of it below. It's trippy to look at while driving over it especially at night. It's symmetrically asymmetrical...It's made by the world famous architect Santiago Calatrava. I'd love to photograph his other creations...dude is sick with it. [/COLOR]

I tried getting a pic of it when i was at the reunion tower, but it was during the day and I think there's a prison right next to it.

Never knew the name of that bridge but I've seen it. Gonna take a day and go out there for some pics

Manual Mode is for all scenarios just requires knowledge and potential trial and error, using any other mode is like an open book test

Need some help from you experts.

I have a Canon 60d and Im looking for a WIDE lens.

What do you guys recommend?

How do you guys feel about SIGMA lens? Are they worth it?

^ I hear a lot of good things from the Sigma ART series of lenses. I also personally own their 85mm f1.4 and its awesome as well.

Found a tutorial on lens flare, which I'm sure everyone on here knows how to do besides me until today :lol: I know everyone hates fake lens flares these days though but I'm late to the party. :\

Don't know if I like the more subtle look (1) or over the top look (2)

Manual Mode is for all scenarios just requires knowledge and potential trial and error, using any other mode is like an open book test

I kinda feel the same way. I feel better knowing I got the nice shot without the help of The other modes.

I kinda feel the same way. I feel better knowing I got the nice shot without the help of The other modes.

insofar as the camera is a tool, whatever mode(s) best help you achieve the desired result of capturing the image according to your vision is fine; getting to know your individual camera and what will give you the image you want without having to fiddle too much with the camera & maybe miss the moment is always good to be aware of, but all those modes are on these cameras for a reason...

insofar as the camera is a tool, whatever mode(s) best help you achieve the desired result of capturing the image according to your vision is fine; getting to know your individual camera and what will give you the image you want without having to fiddle too much with the camera & maybe miss the moment is always good to be aware of, but all those modes are on these cameras for a reason...

[COLOR=#red]Yes true. What happens a lot of the time is that a person (especially if they are relatively new to photography) buys a camera and they'll more than likely use the automated modes. And to be honest these days the automated modes help create pretty good to excellent pictures. Some people however will have the urge to delve deeper into the capabilities of their camera and start to explore Manual mode or the semi-auto modes like aperture priority. For some this is more fun because they actually get to experiment and explore and gives a sense of control. After awhile they become more proficient and can look at a scene and automatically figure in their mind what setting they'd dial in and get right to it.

My cam stays on M 99% of the time. I love dialing in the balance of ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, and WB. With time I've gotten much faster and that's primarily because I've learned how to preset the settings in my mind depending on the image I want to capture...at the same time I have a long way to go and strive to get better.

The other 1% I'll use one of the auto modes and that's when I need to capture something quickly and don't have the time to fiddle around with the settings OR when I can't figure out how to take an image...that happened a few times in the mountains this summer...There was an overcast and we were close to 8000 ft up. The mountain still had vegetation on it and there was a panoramic view of other mountains in the background. I couldn't figure to how to expose the foreground mountains without washing out the background especially with the grayish sky...my eyes saw the beauty but I just couldn't figure how to make my cam reproduce it in manual mode. I switched to Intelligent Auto and it got it right. I'll eventually learn how to get that shot on my own...but for the time being Auto bailed me out. [/COLOR]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom