The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

@khankussionz
- Just everyday photography and people when i go out to family events. I just got it in today and played around with it. That bokeh is crazy.

I think it's a versatile lens even on a crop body. It's my go-to. I had the 35mm but it was too wide so I had to be right on top of my subject and hated it. The 50mm allows me to take a step back and get a great shallow depth of field. I shoot my portraits with an 85mm which is around 123mm on a crop sensor so I know that when I switch to a full frame that I will be looking into the 70-200mm.

I think it's a versatile lens even on a crop body. It's my go-to. I had the 35mm but it was too wide so I had to be right on top of my subject and hated it. The 50mm allows me to take a step back and get a great shallow depth of field. I shoot my portraits with an 85mm which is around 123mm on a crop sensor so I know that when I switch to a full frame that I will be looking into the 70-200mm.
if you are saying that a 50mm on a crop is versatile, I would argue that. 80 is not versatile IMO.

if you are saying that a 50mm on a crop is versatile, I would argue that. 80 is not versatile IMO.

Versatility is all about how it works for you. It is very versatile for me because I use it for many different situations and I prefer it over something wider. 85mm is considered portrait length but I prefer longer lengths for my portraits.

Manual or death, I told myself when I first got my hands on a DSLR that I wouldn't shoot on any other mode and that's what I did and that's how I learned....why buy a DSLR to use it as a pointNshoot?

Manual or death, I told myself when I first got my hands on a DSLR that I wouldn't shoot on any other mode and that's what I did and that's how I learned....why buy a DSLR to use it as a pointNshoot?

[COLOR=#red]Agreed Sir, and that's why I'm on M 99.3456789% of the time :lol: .But sometimes Auto comes in handy...for instance we were driving through a huge ranch on our way to the mountains and we saw a mass of cattle. Right off to the side I saw a Bull getting it in with a cow. I pulled out my cam turned it on and the Manual settings needed to be adjusted....there I was fiddling around and I missed the best shot opportunity composition wise. Had I just thumbed it over to Auto real quick and took the pic at 11fps I would have had at least 35-40 fully focused pictures to choose the best one from.

[/COLOR]

Last edited:
I think anyone that truly wants to understand exposure should know  how to shoot in manual mode. With my type of shooting though, I am in Aperture priority 95% of the time, because depth of field is almost always my primary concern when out and about. 

The only times I am in M mode is when I am on a tripod, in a studio, using flash, or in very specific lighting scenarios. Otherwise, Aperture priority for me.

My little homie Lola is always down for a shoot. Used my own presets using curves, gonna make a few more than give them away to anyone interested actions for PS too.

because a dslr generally takes waaaaay better pictures? the camera for most is a means to an end, manual just gives you more control to get the desired image...if shooting in an auto mode can get the image that you want; why switch to manual?

I think anyone that truly wants to understand exposure should know how to shoot in manual mode.

agreed, i'd actually like to shoot in auto modes more but since most of my favorite lenses right now are manual and i haven't quite figured out a mode that will get the iso & shutter speed right for me, so manual is where i leave my cameras set by default; its funny how much autofocus is so good now, in most situations, it is almost a given now, maybe automatic modes will soon reach that level as well?

[COLOR=#red]Here's the pic I was talking about. Could have been so much better, but it happened so fast not to mention that I had to shoot through the windshield because they were actually moving while humping :rofl:. :smh:[/COLOR]

ha! gotta put the camera right on the glass or at least parallel to whatever you're shooting through to minimize the glare

because a dslr generally takes waaaaay better pictures? the camera for most is a means to an end, manual just gives you more control to get the desired image...if shooting in an auto mode can get the image that you want; why switch to manual?
agreed, i'd actually like to shoot in auto modes more but since most of my favorite lenses right now are manual and i haven't quite figured out a mode that will get the iso & shutter speed right for me, so manual is where i leave my cameras set by default; its funny how much autofocus is so good now, in most situations, it is almost a given now, maybe automatic modes will soon reach that level as well?
ha! gotta put the camera right on the glass or at least parallel to whatever you're shooting through to minimize the glare

Bro using a DSLR to shoot in Auto is an absolute waste of money...plenty of great P&S's that will warrant amazing pics, hell I even follow some dudes on IG doing absolute damage with an iPhone.

You get a DSLR to explore the full control of the camera, not to get the best image, is the photographer that creates the shot, not the camera bro.

And auto focus is crucial, imagine nailing manual focus on a toddler moving around or a bride walking down the aisle, manual focus is great when you have control over your subject, if your subject is in constant motion, Manual focus is pretty useless, specially when you want to shoot at a shallow DOF

Bro using a DSLR to shoot in Auto is an absolute waste of money...plenty of great P&S's that will warrant amazing pics, hell I even follow some dudes on IG doing absolute damage with an iPhone.

no doubt, cellphones & p&s cameras can take awesome pictures (i would venture to guess that many of those cellphone/iphone igers are using apps/or cameraphones that give them more manual controls)...under optimal conditions, and though they are and undoubtedly will get, better & better; the reason most people (note: not aspiring/amateur/hobby photographers) seem to get big dslrs is pretty much unquestionable to take better pictures with a more serious focused tool in those situations that are less than perfect...

very anecdotally, i'm something of the camera/technerd at the 9-to-5 (amongst people that are generally very tech literate/savvy) i get asked about camera stuff occasionally and though these people all were considering spending some good guap on a dslr none were that concerned with gaining more control or actual usability, most were concerned with what would help them get good easy pictures of their kids, give them cleaner images in fast moving/lowlight/night pictures, only the more sophisticated of whom were interested in particular lenses and no one seemed to be interested in advanced point & shoots because they didn't see them as worth the money (you start to get into entry level dslr range there). this isn't to say that they won't eventually want more control, but most are like "i want something better than my phone to take pictures with" and as point & shoots are fading into bolivian #NTreference, dslrs seem to be the move now...

You get a DSLR to explore the full control of the camera, not to get the best image, is the photographer that creates the shot, not the camera bro.

i'd agree on the latter but not the former, the only reason to explore the full control of any camera is to get the envisioned image whatever the "quality" may be; it is a function of getting an image, not to be technically awesome with a camera...most people probably venture into manual when they no longer can what they want from auto or want to experiment, it seems kind of silly not to use an auto mode IF that mode will get the desired image/effect, freeing the photographer to concentrate on other things. this isn't to say being proficient with the camera isn't useful, only to say that auto mode is/can be useful as well (it may hasten one's learning to know what your camera sees, for those situations it may fall short)

your point(s) about it not being about the camera & autofocus are the perfect examples of how technology advances things, because at one point because you would have had to meter, manually focus, compose, set shutter speed, even consider what type of film is in the camera all at once, or preset the camera with certain settings and position oneself for the picture that works with those settings, so some shots would be harder to pull off in the moment if at all. being a photographer used to really mean you necessarily knew the camera intimately (like which way & how much & how fast you needed turn the focus ring in order to get a shot) so you could even do the important work of capturing a moment, storytelling, etc., today's cameras are much more capable, so much so that the camera is kind of inconsequential, which indeed frees up the photographer to "create the shot"

Back
Top Bottom