The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

VSCO comes in Camera Raw format also. You shoot jpeg tho Fong. I use it in LR and just tweak it from there.

I had to look up what Camera Raw was. I guess I'll DL it when I get home and shoot things in RAW on occasion knowing I am going to tweak the photo. I swear I just need to get an external and shove all my photos on it. Even with a TB of storage, my photos from the last year or so has really slowed down my computer. I just need that and some RAM and I'll just shoot RAW + Jpeg all the time.

Ok fellas I need some opinions and constructive criticism is always welcome. I took the Ronikon 85mm out to play last week for a clothing op for my homies brand of shirts called Slacker. It definitely was not easy as I had to adjust to dual iso on the fly, not to mentioned it rained so the fire I wanted to incorporate to this shoot went out the window when my girl go her hair wet. Sorry to overload, thanks in advance.

#OwnTheNight for Slacker Brand by TooLegit4Kicks, on Flickr

I'm thinking about getting a video camera instead of gettting a new DSLR. Anybody tried or know anyone who tried a Blackmagic camera out? I was looking at them a long time ago but I can remember anything now about

i haven't used them before but i'm familiar with a few of their cameras, not too long ago there some crazy sale on their low end model (the tpocket cinema camera) for half off...it has a fairly small sensor (though probably better for video) compared to even entry level dslrs or even micro 4/3 cameras- which means low light performance may not be as good, also i don't think it has native lenses; however it has the ability to do raw video, which is great for pushing values for editing...

VSCO comes in Camera Raw format also. You shoot jpeg tho Fong. I use it in LR and just tweak it from there.

I had to look up what Camera Raw was. I guess I'll DL it when I get home and shoot things in RAW on occasion knowing I am going to tweak the photo. I swear I just need to get an external and shove all my photos on it. Even with a TB of storage, my photos from the last year or so has really slowed down my computer. I just need that and some RAM and I'll just shoot RAW + Jpeg all the time.

definitely takes up more space but with memory being so cheap, it is worth going raw for the extra flexibility; just is so much more dynamic range that can be pulled out of raw files...some cameras even let you shoot jpgs processed a specific way (like black & white) with a color raw file, which can be really useful

Great shots, you should be proud of what you came out with.

Only thing is that for this to display his line some of the pics don't really show case the shirts

Appreciate it. I have over 500 shots, I just selected the joints I took a liking to and touched em up. My original idea of using fire as a background went out the window due to wind on the dock most of these shots were taken at. But it's a learning curve. I truly believe that had I known dual iso a little more, these would've came out phenomenal. But now I'm thinking I need a speed light or something next time I do outdoor shoots in pitch black scenery

Something looks mad crazy about some of the photos with their skin and eyes? Was that done in post or was that how it was from the camera? The white in their eyes like on the 2nd to the last photo almost seem like it is glowing.

I think the sharpness and things are their in the photo which is good. My only criticism is if this is a display on a clothing line, you really have to show what the clothes look like rather than even the people wearing them. Some you can see but some photos like the one where they are all sitting down just doesn't work. Also this is something skateboard photographers do when shooting skaters. Sometimes you have to even shoot certain type of environment based on what clothing the people are wearing. I like night shoots but wonder how this all would look during the day or on a white wall. You need some sort of contrast like this.

black-scale-x-diamond-supply-co-x-pacsun-2014-summer-lookbook-11.jpg
black-scale-x-diamond-supply-co-x-pacsun-2014-summer-lookbook-12.jpg
black-scale-x-diamond-supply-co-x-pacsun-2014-summer-lookbook-13.jpg

Nice job though. I am fascinated by portraits more so now than ever. I really need to take some time and just shoot that one day.

toolegit4kicks toolegit4kicks I like what you are doing. A speedlight would've been nice to play around with definitely. I haven't done a night shoot but I think you just sparked my interest.

@Fongstarr Camera Raw is basically Lightroom without a catalogue system pretty much. You are too good not to be shooting portraits.

Something looks mad crazy about some of the photos with their skin and eyes? Was that done in post or was that how it was from the camera? The white in their eyes like on the 2nd to the last photo almost seem like it is glowing.

I think the sharpness and things are their in the photo which is good. My only criticism is if this is a display on a clothing line, you really have to show what the clothes look like rather than even the people wearing them. Some you can see but some photos like the one where they are all sitting down just doesn't work. Also this is something skateboard photographers do when shooting skaters. Sometimes you have to even shoot certain type of environment based on what clothing the people are wearing. I like night shoots but wonder how this all would look during the day or on a white wall. You need some sort of contrast like this.

black-scale-x-diamond-supply-co-x-pacsun-2014-summer-lookbook-11.jpg
black-scale-x-diamond-supply-co-x-pacsun-2014-summer-lookbook-12.jpg
black-scale-x-diamond-supply-co-x-pacsun-2014-summer-lookbook-13.jpg

Nice job though. I am fascinated by portraits more so now than ever. I really need to take some time and just shoot that one day.

Well when one of the occupants in my duplex apartment moves out in a week I plan on turning a portion of my livingroom area to a portrait area. So I'll definitely have to invest in some backdrops for sure. As far as the second to last pic I didn't do anything to the skin, maybe I over noise reduced and as for the eyes, in Lightroom I use the teeth whitening filter on the eyes to give em that true white, too many photos I see whereas the eyes look yellow. And in this case my homies were coming from work, and my girl was coming from work and I woke her up out her sleep. So whitening was a definite.

As far as the look goes trust me I know. Brand promotion you have to have a certain look, but there is literally nothing else on the shirt besides the logo in the chest or front area and the sleeve. I do appreciate the feedback though. I'll upload a before and after when I get off 2k in a few. Had I done this in the day time, no question that 85mm would've went to work big time, but it did it's job at night also, being that my 17-40 L didn't allow much light in, even with my settings manipulated in dual iso. This was my first night shoot of actual people. And now I see why night photography is so difficult. I will definitely be using that 85mm again tomorrow though when I hit my artists crib on Wall Street tomorrow. So I'll have more material, probably dusk and night.

toolegit4kicks toolegit4kicks I like what you are doing. A speedlight would've been nice to play around with definitely. I haven't done a night shoot but I think you just sparked my interest.

@Fongstarr Camera Raw is basically Lightroom without a catalogue system pretty much. You are too good not to be shooting portraits.

Appreciate it man. I was looking at some joint on amazon and B&H for like 265 or something but I couldn't pull the trigger. I mean I had so many ideas it makes no sense. I even searched for a flood light that operated on battery power. My idea would've been to bounce it off of the ground somewhere just to provide an extra source of light. But a speed light would definitely do the trick.

What it is is that when I hit everyone up about planning something there has to be a theme. And the theme usually plays on motivation. The more motivated I am, the more creative I become during session. It's just rare that you can actually synchronize a day to shoot with 5 individuals when - me and my girl live together but aren't always off. My two of my homies work two jobs. I work 7 days a week. And my other homie works full time and goes to college. I do like where I'm at photographically compared to last year when I had that bum t3i

And you're absolutely right, fong you need to be getting it in on the portraits. That's a creative channel you just have to plunge into.

toolegit4kicks toolegit4kicks What was your technique for white balance? You don't want to bounce the light off the floor like you mentioned because you will get campfire scary story eyes haha. A Yonguo speedlight will run you under $70. I haven't shot with a speedlight in some time but I intend to pick up 2 more to have in my arsenal.

toolegit4kicks toolegit4kicks What was your technique for white balance? You don't want to bounce the light off the floor like you mentioned because you will get campfire scary story eyes haha. A Yonguo speedlight will run you under $70. I haven't shot with a speedlight in some time but I intend to pick up 2 more to have in my arsenal.

Hahaha. There was no technique though . Take a look at the post before you just commented, all of the white balance edits came straight from Lightroom. What I wanted was just a natural outdoor look and I though to myself, how would I create that blue normal hue? I know that the camera blends yellow unless I decide to change the white balance values myself, but being that I had no external light source it made no damn sense to.

The only light source were the lights on the bridge they did the shots on.

And to be honest bro, I wouldn't even know what to do with a speed light if I had one lol. All i know is that ill need diffuser and some batteries i guess. I was actually looking into this one here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...veKmclzaWtYU_qBoCWL7w_wcB&Q=&is=USA&A=details

does a canon 1D MIII (30k clicks) for $450 sound like a good deal for a backup camera?

This camera? For sure! Even if it is 30K clicks, fixing the censor would be under a $1000 for sure. I had to fix my Nikon D90 censor and it was like $400. The only thing I don't like about it is the pixel count. It sounds odd to have a camera that size with pixel count less than what a Rebel has. Honestly I'd just buy it to sell for more and just get a lens for it.

Amazon product ASIN B000NP1C5O

@Benssick
  why do you choose to shoot with film instead of digital?

You'd be surprised how many die hard film fans are still out there. I am on a skate forum and my photos never get love (not that I care). But there is definitely something about film that is still hard to emulate even in post. Whenever I see a hasslblad film shot, it just look so damn awesome.

I shoot digital too , but I love film. In a way all the grain adds emotions, at least to me . And It's amazing waiting to see how your photos turned out . Makes you think deeper about what you want to shoot, with the couple of shots you are given.

Back
Top Bottom