The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Sometimes I see you guys' pics and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I know most are edited but it's the shot. Some of you guys take pics that are basic that I wouldn't think to take and with the editing they turn out great. Just a random thought.

It's kind of the nature of the beast and why this hobby is so widely accepted now. Even with IG photos, a lot of people are used to editing something into a photo that it is not. I say just run with it. I am a firm believer that editing is just part of digital photography and more so now than ever. Filters were never even a part of it not too long ago and at most, it was contrast, brightness, color balance etc. Just learn those tools and see what you come up with. Maybe some of the photos you have can be pushed that much farther. Of course the substance of the shot is still the key thing but editing can push the photo that much farther.

You're absolutely right. It's like I treat my SD card as if it's only 64 megabytes so I'm super picky with pics. :lol: And if the shot does immediately look great I delete because I don't want to rely on editing but I'm starting to accept it now. Gonna explore more of Lightroom's capabilities.

Taking a trip to Chicago next month so I plan to go in. Might try to stay downtown so it's easier.

not too sure how i feel about these...
any CC would be appreciated

Some practice shots I took this afternoon:

How do I emphasize the ray of light from the 1st pic? It's not noticeable there but it was in person. :lol:

Nikon D3200

Downtown Disney 

I think this is the best photo I have produced in a long time, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

You have the 6+ right? Maybe an issue with that. I'm on a 5S with 8.0.2 and and it has been working fine since the first update.

Yeah......I really don't get it. I figured the new OS update should fix it but it didn't. Maybe VSCO update then.

For those making money on a consistent basis, how did you make the transition from shooting as a hobby to shooting for profit? I'm becoming more confident in my work, and have seen alot of photographers with a steady client base that I don't think produce work at the same quality as mine. I'm in no rush, but I need to start shifting my mindset because I think that I'm entering the territory of wasting time and my own money by continuing to do tfp shoots.

For those making money on a consistent basis, how did you make the transition from shooting as a hobby to shooting for profit? I'm becoming more confident in my work, and have seen alot of photographers with a steady client base that I don't think produce work at the same quality as mine. I'm in no rush, but I need to start shifting my mindset because I think that I'm entering the territory of wasting time and my own money by continuing to do tfp shoots.

It really depends on which field of photography you plan on going in...one thing I noticed, shooting pretty girls doesn't pay...yeah it'll get you a good online presence but these "models" will never pay a photographer.

It really depends on which field of photography you plan on going in...one thing I noticed, shooting pretty girls doesn't pay...yeah it'll get you a good online presence but these "models" will never pay a photographer.

Understood. I already know how they are haha... Portfolio full of bathroom selfies and no modeling experience talking about here are my rates... I live in Miami Beach. It's the nature of the beast. I want to get into things like senior pictures, engagement shoots, and other portraits.

Good question.

I went to a local fashion show yesterday for fun. Ironically I went to shoot video for my friends kid that wants to be a rapper. It was below par legit show but interesting nonetheless. I had access to the photo "pit" area which is what you can expect from a fashion show with tons of people with lenses, flashes, and all types of accessories. I spoke to them about shooting as a profession and a lot seemed legit but for some reason I felt like they made no money from it. I mean how many people are paying these guys for fashion photos unless it got printed in a mag under the party section. But talking to these so called vets made me realize that this photo game is a hustle of some sorts. Some take on jobs that I would never take but it seems to pay better than doing pro bono work for some girl or whatever. I had a 50mm which did nothing for me there since most had 85mm and longer. I literally came out with nothing at all.

for what it's worth i do this strictly as a hobby, but if my hustle game was was strong i could maybe have politicked my way to getting paid work on occasion; that is to say combining both what ksteezy & fongstarr noted...depending on what you want to do & your ability to work relationships it might be easier/tougher...one bit if general advice that i think applies to everything career related is to pick a lane that is something you like/are willing to do that few other people want/are willing to do...obviously everyone walks their own path, and some are able/willing to pursue their passion without compromise but that can be a very daunting road...

#sidebar in fields that are driven by creativity, there really isn't an objective measure of "better" necessarily, and being #goodatbusiness as well as other things is probably at least as important than the creative/taking extraordinary photos part; so while your work may be of higher quality these photographers may bring additional things to the table that keeps clients recommending them/coming back.

Word of mouth and social media. As my skills and the pubic's respect for my work increase increases so will my prices. And as stated above there's a different process for each kind of photography.

Either way, most productive way is to hustle and work work work as you improve your product.

Back
Top Bottom