The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

For those making money on a consistent basis, how did you make the transition from shooting as a hobby to shooting for profit? I'm becoming more confident in my work, and have seen alot of photographers with a steady client base that I don't think produce work at the same quality as mine. I'm in no rush, but I need to start shifting my mindset because I think that I'm entering the territory of wasting time and my own money by continuing to do tfp shoots.

Keep shooting what you like and shoot a lot of it. Broadcast your work on a bunch of social media outlets and network with different MUA and stylists in your area. This worked for me in VA and is working now that I moved to ATL. I normally don't get paid much, if anything at all when shooting models but, it leads to people seeing my work and asking "do you shoot kids?" or "what are your rates?". I am always surprised when someone wants to book me for a wedding even though I don't market myself as a wedding photographer. If it's seniors that you want to shoot, you need reps. Find the popular kid, take her pictures and work out a deal out with her and her parents; every booked shoot that she refers, she get 50 bucks or something of that nature. There are a lot of videos on CreativeLive about the business side. Remember there are a lot of photographers out there who make a living off of taking crappy photos and getting paid big bucks just because there are "known" as the go to photographer.

You have the 6+ right? Maybe an issue with that. I'm on a 5S with 8.0.2 and and it has been working fine since the first update.

Yeah......I really don't get it. I figured the new OS update should fix it but it didn't. Maybe VSCO update then.
There's like two VSCO apps, the one I paid for ALWAYS spits out white images.

The one that's free is just fine for me.
There's only one real VSCO app I'm aware of and its free with in app purchases for presets.

There's like two VSCO apps, the one I paid for ALWAYS spits out white images.

The one that's free is just fine for me.

I got the free one. There is only one I have been using cause when I downloaded it on the App store, it showed the cloud icon. What is dumb is my iPad which is updated to the newest OS works fine. For whatever reason on my 6+, it doesn't. I even had a hard time downloading the Hypebeast filters and always got an error when in purchase. Really weird for the most part.

If I could edit wedding pictures without a smartphone camera in the background I would be a happy man. /end rant.

If I could edit wedding pictures without a smartphone camera in the background I would be a happy man. /end rant.

I'm assuming these are candids...?

If so why would you want to?...we live in the digital era and people with their camera phones taking pics in the background is part of today's lives, I love it when I catch guests in the background of say a bride and groom exiting after they've been named husband and wife and they all got their phones pointing at them...is awesome....another thing I like doing at weddings is take pics of guests pulling selfies :rofl:

To touch back on the getting paid for your work convo...if it's portraits/engagements/weddings you wanna get into, well take your time, there is lots of money to be made there! Invest in equipment, 2 bodies are a must, quality glass also, don't be that dude wanting to get paid while shooting with a t3i and a kit lense....push IG hard!!!!...is the best publicity you can use right now...I'm getting wedding inquiries all the way from Alabama and I live in NY...be fair and honest with your quotes, find local pros and second shoot for free so you can get your feet wet before taking on your own gigs

I'm assuming these are candids...?

If so why would you want to?...we live in the digital era and people with their camera phones taking pics in the background is part of today's lives, I love it when I catch guests in the background of say a bride and groom exiting after they've been named husband and wife and they all got their phones pointing at them...is awesome....another thing I like doing at weddings is take pics of guests pulling selfies :rofl:
I guess you're right. I guess I just hate the big ipad at the wedding trend. But hey thats just me. I also catch selfies and sometimes shoot the smartphone in focus with the bride and groom on the phone screen. Kind of a neat pic.

To touch back on the getting paid for your work convo...if it's portraits/engagements/weddings you wanna get into, well take your time, there is lots of money to be made there! Invest in equipment, 2 bodies are a must, quality glass also, don't be that dude wanting to get paid while shooting with a t3i and a kit lense....push IG hard!!!!...is the best publicity you can use right now...I'm getting wedding inquiries all the way from Alabama and I live in NY...be fair and honest with your quotes, find local pros and second shoot for free so you can get your feet wet before taking on your own gigs
I've def learned a lot from you on this. We haven't even met and I refer to your stuff all the time. If you ever come to ATL or the surrounding areas I would def like to shoot with you.

I second the Wedding and Engagement pics. I like the interaction with the couples and if you do a great job they will def spread the word!

This man, he knows business :pimp:. I have to shoot my first small wedding and its coming soon! I have a 50mm 1.8 but looking to buy a wide angle to capture family group photos. Looking to spend around $800-$1000, if more then its ok. I want a lens that will work best with FX body since I plan to upgrade in a year even though now I am shooting with crop censor. If anyone has feedback on a lens with pics :nerd:, I would appreciate it. Shooting with nikon D90. Thanks. Wya Rolo?

This man, he knows business :pimp:. I have to shoot my first small wedding and its coming soon! I have a 50mm 1.8 but looking to buy a wide angle to capture family group photos. Looking to spend around $800-$1000, if more then its ok. I want a lens that will work best with FX body since I plan to upgrade in a year even though now I am shooting with crop censor. If anyone has feedback on a lens with pics :nerd:, I would appreciate it. Shooting with nikon D90. Thanks. Wya Rolo?

Good luck bro! Not too familiar on the nikon system but I did shoot with it for a couple of months had a d700 and it was awesome, I suggest invest in their 24-70mm the top tier one I forget what Nikon refers to them as, is expensive but is worth it and I believe Rolo lives by it....I had it and it was one of the best lenses I've shot with....plus resale value >>>>

That's the good thing about quality glass, is expensive but if you ever get in a tight spot you can resale it for almost as much as you initially bought it for...at 24mm on a cropped body you'll be roughly at 35mm good enough if you ask me, then invest in a full frame and you will LOVE the difference...never be afraid to invest in your passion.

Last edited:
I've def learned a lot from you on this. We haven't even met and I refer to your stuff all the time. If you ever come to ATL or the surrounding areas I would def like to shoot with you.

I second the Wedding and Engagement pics. I like the interaction with the couples and if you do a great job they will def spread the word!

I'll def keep that in mind if I'm ever in the area bro, love linking up with other photogs, can talk forever about this passion of ours :lol:

Good luck bro! Not too familiar on the nikon system but I did shoot with it for a couple of months had a d700 and it was awesome, I suggest invest in their 24-70mm the top tier one I forget what Nikon refers to them as, is expensive but is worth it and I believe Rolo lives by it....I had it and it was one of the best lenses I've shot with....plus resale value >>>>

That's the good thing about quality glass, is expensive but if you ever get in a tight spot you can resale it for almost as much as you initially bought it for...at 24mm on a cropped body you'll be roughly at 35mm good enough if you ask me, then invest in a full frame and you will LOVE the difference...never be afraid to invest in your passion.
I hear this is an amazing lens. I shoot canon though and I have the 17-40L

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1735.htm

Last edited:

You can always rent a lens too. No need to purchase something solely for the wedding you are shooting.

Sigma has that 18-35 F/1.8 too if you are looking for a more open aperture. I heard bokeh wasn't as creamy as can be but it'd be quick at least and sharp.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...mzMxAo8RcYbDrMsLIznyvWz-fKAStTumd8RoCUrTw_wcB

He mentioned wanting something for FF. That's a crop lense. I've been using my 28-75 Tammy since back when I had my d7000. I know they and sigma have newer 24-70 for a lot cheaper than nikons and arguably just as good.

Go the rent route of you can't afford it, don't shoot a wedding with anything less than the best, you will face many challenges even with the perfect gear, at least have the bests weapons at your reach...you don't go to war with a musket do you?

Thanks Steezy, thats pretty pricey but looks deadly. Will look into renting it for the wedding to give it a try. I totally forgot about renting I might just go that route instead of rushing to buy a lens. Would hate to spend 1k+ on lens and not love it, Thanks Fongstar.
Main goal for me is to give the best quality work I can or else I'm not really doing anything. Steezy any first time do's and don'ts on wedding photography?

Anyone know who Kalin and Myles is? My boys kid is opening up for them tomorrow and asked if I wanted to take photos of them as well. I am so out of the young pop scene. Do ya'll think it is worth it? I get backstage for one....but just for the wrong damn show.

I honestly have no interest in all of the work that goes with shooting a wedding. My attention span is too short. I like to be in and then out. Hoping to upgrade my camera by the end of October and may be adding the 70-200 2.8 also. Currently shooting 28, 50, and 8.5 f/1.8s all full frame lenses on a D5100. Can't wait to switch to full frame. I haven't charged for my work yet because I'm not confident in it or think that I have enough experience. Overall, I am happy with my style. I just need need a body of work to justify why I should be paid. I'm horrible at networking and have tons of photographers on my feed that are consistently advertising deals and needing models, but when I hit them up they all tell me that nobody is shooting with them.

A few from the past few days.

Thanks Steezy, thats pretty pricey but looks deadly. Will look into renting it for the wedding to give it a try. I totally forgot about renting I might just go that route instead of rushing to buy a lens. Would hate to spend 1k+ on lens and not love it, Thanks Fongstar.
Main goal for me is to give the best quality work I can or else I'm not really doing anything. Steezy any first time do's and don'ts on wedding photography?

Just go into it knowing that you'll never be worst than your first time shooting one...I honestly wouldn't charge for my first wedding...I didn't in my case and that's after many second shooting gigs....handlin a wedding on your own is a scary situation the first time and till this day it is for me...just stay alert, 2 bodies, no more than 5 lenses, you can even get away with just two a 24-70 on one body and a 70-200 on the other...as you are shooting work as if you were drawing a comic book or story board, starting with the details and getting ready of the bride, first looks, bridal portraits, bridal oartyy( family formats, wedding ceremony, wedding reception in that order if possible...it'll make your life easy creating a blog post afterwards and settin. Up a good way to display a full wedding for potential clients....extra batteries for your cameras is also good...there is so much I can tell you but tbh is all about instincts, I always try to plan my shooting but the day comes and I react on instinct...so just get your feet wet....is important to also figure out if you are a long shooter or a wide shooter, I'm a wide shooter and can literally shoot 80% of a weddin with my 24L...you'll realize that after a while you'll pinpoint which are your weapons of choice and your camera bag will get lighter and lighter....lol weddings are fun bro, no better feeling than collecting a 3k check after 10 hours of hard work.

On another topic, I started shooting medium format and had picked up a Rolleiflex 3.5 it was incredibly fun to shoot but also very hard to get used to...so after two weeks and reading up on te Pentax 67 system I returned my Rollei and now have a Pentax which I'm psyched to use...looking online the images it produces are incredible!

Back
Top Bottom