The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Okay guys I'm back...

I think I'm going to stick with the Nikon D5300 my chick got me for Xmas.

I've read reviews and it seems decent.

Still think she paid too much but whatever.

I just want to take high end good pics of my kicks to sell them off.

Take pics of random stuff and me and her together... don't know if I'm willing to bring a DSLR cam with me on vacation though.

I also want to film video of POV style homegrown video's so hopefully this camera can meet those requirements.

Will be back to bother you guys on advice and how to's and what to do's.
I guaruntee you this camera will take pics that will meet your standards man. once you learn how to set your cam settings according to the environment you can take great pics with any camera no matter the level pro or entry

So here are some super huge tablets with Google Play access and i want one of these tablets so bad lol

fuhu-nabi-big-tab.jpg

In addition to an action cam for adventurous kids, Fuhu has announced new Big Tab options at CES -- and they're so huge, they dwarf the 24-inch model launched in 2014. These latest entries to the Big Tab lineup include 42-inch, 55-inch and 65-inch models, so they're definitely not something you'd hold in your hand to watch Netflix or check your emails on. Fuhu envisions these tablets to be used in kitchens and living rooms for interactive activities or as smart TVs, as they're touchscreen displays with access to Google Play. The 55- and 65-inch ones even have full Ultra HD resolution, WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC. According to USA Today, these huge tablets will hit the market in the second half of 2015, with the cheapest option priced at $699. Obviously, the most expensive one will cost you quite a bit: $3,999 for the 65-inch 4K model.
Just imagin' being able to shoot either physically tethered or wirelessly tethered studio shots with life size Live View lol over the top? yes, but I wants

Last edited:

I guaruntee you this camera will take pics that will meet your standards man. once you learn how to set your cam settings according to the environment you can take great pics with any camera no matter the level pro or entry
Agreed with this. Cam is probably more camera than 95% of its owners can handle

Under somewhat optimal lighting conditions, yes most cameras will be good enough for most shooters....don't try to shoot at night or dimmed rooms or very tight spaces and think you'll be good tho...if this was the case everyone would be shooting with a 500$ Rebel...

You need the right set of tools as much as you need the right set of skills....you wouldn't hire a carpenter to build you a home with a hammer and some nails.

Last edited:
Okay guys I'm back...

I think I'm going to stick with the Nikon D5300 my chick got me for Xmas.

I've read reviews and it seems decent.

Still think she paid too much but whatever.

I just want to take high end good pics of my kicks to sell them off.

Take pics of random stuff and me and her together... don't know if I'm willing to bring a DSLR cam with me on vacation though.

I also want to film video of POV style homegrown video's so hopefully this camera can meet those requirements.

Will be back to bother you guys on advice and how to's and what to do's.

Under somewhat optimal lighting conditions, yes most cameras will be good enough for most shooters....don't try to shoot at night or dimmed rooms or very tight spaces and think you'll be good tho...if this was the case everyone would be shooting with a 500$ Rebel...

You need the right set of tools as much as you need the right set of skills....you wouldn't hire a carpenter to build you a home with a hammer and some nails.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So what tools and programs do I need to take the pics posted of his kicks NT user never wear them.

Also should I get a tripod to keep to camera steady to shoot video footage.

I don't want the camera always shaking when I'm make POV style videos.

lol i doubt you'll need a tripod for POV videos and no you don't NEED one for video unless you have heavy hand shakes. it will help def but not a requirement. I'ver recorded many stead vids with my 7100

Lightroom for you computer and most people hear vouch for VSCO and Snapseed for mobile, if you're looking to do low light/night pics you may want an external flash but there's one on camera thats fine but does take some additional learning

I agree with Steezy and have said it before on here. It's a balance of good equipment and a good photographer but if 2 photographer has equal skills, I guarantee the one with the better equipment will come out with a better photo. And some photos just can't be achieved with basic equipment. The real test of a good camera is low lit shots. Almost any camera can shoot daytime ones but nighttime, you see where that extra $1000 comes in to play.

I agree with Steezy and have said it before on here. It's a balance of good equipment and a good photographer but if 2 photographer has equal skills, I guarantee the one with the better equipment will come out with a better photo. And some photos just can't be achieved with basic equipment. The real test of a good camera is low lit shots. Almost any camera can shoot daytime ones but nighttime, you see where that extra $1000 comes in to play.
and in cropped images

Anyone have any tips for shooting a reception for an art gallery exhibition? My uncle paints and stuff and is having some of his work displayed in NYC. Since I'm the guy with the DSLR at all the family parties he asked me to come along to snap some pictures. He's not paying me or anything but of course I wanna do the best job I can for my uncle. I asked what he expects from me but he just said "take pictures"...

"Gear" I'm working with:
Nikon D3200
18-55 kit lens
55-200 f/4-5.6
35 f/1.8G

Last edited:
Anyone have any tips for shooting a reception for an art gallery exhibition? My uncle paints and stuff and is having some of his work displayed in NYC. Since I'm the guy with the DSLR at all the family parties he asked me to come along to snap some pictures. He's not paying me or anything but of course I wanna do the best job I can for my uncle. I asked what he expects from me but he just said "take pictures"...

"Gear" I'm working with:
Nikon D3200
18-55 kit lens
55-200 f/4-5.6
35 f/1.8G

-get a flash and bounce it
-take wide shots to get the venue and atmosphere
-try to make the venue look as packed as possible
-white balance
-35mm will be you friend

-get a flash and bounce it
-take wide shots to get the venue and atmosphere
-try to make the venue look as packed as possible
-white balance
-35mm will be you friend
Yeah I'm usually an available light shooter but flash crossed my mind since I'm not sure of the lighting situation in the venue. Unfortunately I was informed of the event about an hour ago and it's tomorrow...

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll be sure to keep those in mind.

Wide angles are a must at art venues. Some places are just so jam packed that there is just no room to shoot. I would even go wider than a 35mm. That kit with a flash might be your best bet for shooting people but the 35mm can get some non flash photos fine as well. White balance is always an issue at art venues as well. Some people can fix it all in post but getting that non yellow look (but yellow) can be hard to achieve.

Wide angles are a must at art venues. Some places are just so jam packed that there is just no room to shoot. I would even go wider than a 35mm. That kit with a flash might be your best bet for shooting people but the 35mm can get some non flash photos fine as well. White balance is always an issue at art venues as well. Some people can fix it all in post but getting that non yellow look (but yellow) can be hard to achieve.

a quick way to do it in camera is by shooting a white sheet of paper. I suggest investing in an expodisc. It ran me like 45-50 and i love it

"Gear" I'm working with:
Nikon D3200
18-55 kit lens
55-200 f/4-5.6
35 f/1.8G

Contrary to what's been said, use the kit. Although it's slower, it's more versatile than the 35mm. I'm not saying don't use the 35, because you definitely should... I would just keep the kit on for most of the time. It's not a bad lens and you at least have the wider angles which you would want. Try to get a flash if you can, otherwise, ignore what I said and just use the 35 :lol:

"Gear" I'm working with:
Nikon D3200
18-55 kit lens
55-200 f/4-5.6
35 f/1.8G
well the moment you said art venue the 35 will be your safe bet. Also the kit lens for your wides. Take something Pure White with you for white balancing issues. (Not sure how nikons do it but if you take a photo of it in the venue in post you should have your kelvin).

Contrary to what's been said, use the kit. Although it's slower, it's more versatile than the 35mm. I'm not saying don't use the 35, because you definitely should... I would just keep the kit on for most of the time. It's not a bad lens and you at least have the wider angles which you would want. Try to get a flash if you can, otherwise, ignore what I said and just use the 35
laugh.gif
Yeah, flash probably isn't gonna happen. I was given such short notice so buying anything is pretty much out of the question. Though all this suggestion of flash is getting me to consider picking one up in the future. 

Thanks for the great advice as always fellas

Just had a shot idea if you don't have flash. Do you have a tripod? Set the camera on something stationary in front of an art piece and get some longer exposures of people walking by while the art remains static.

Just had a shot idea if you don't have flash. Do you have a tripod? Set the camera on something stationary in front of an art piece and get some longer exposures of people walking by while the art remains static.

Very cool suggestion! If well framed, could be pretty epic

Back
Top Bottom