The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Does anyone have the Nikon D3200 or have experience with it? I'm looking on purchasing today and want to know some of the the pros and cons

looking to make the jump to full frame from my 60d very soon and was really reeeeeally want the Mark III, but don't know if i can justify the price jump.  I think I have my eyes on a Mark II, but was just curious was to what I'm really missing out on.  Primarily just shoot stills, specializing in portrait and travel.  Is it really worth saving up almost double the cost for the Mark III?

I went for the 6D over the 5D3 simply because of the price difference. Obviously you miss out on a few features, for me it was the viewfinder grid and a couple other things that made me really want the 5D3, but at the end of the day, these are minor nitpicks. Anywhere you look you'll find that the image quality of both is damn near identical (with the 6D having a slight edge in high ISO / low-light performance due to less megapixels packed on the sensor. Also, the 6D is Wi-Fi compatible which has come in handy for me. It's easy as hell to shoot, transfer images to your phone, edit in VSCO, and upload to IG. (just an example.) You can also use the Wi-Fi feature to use EOS Remote app to remotely trigger the camera without the need of a separate remote / cable. The 6D is also slightly smaller, lighter so that's cool too.

I wouldn't even consider the 5D2 over the 6D.

Also, since you're still thinking about it, you may want to consider the 5D4 as it could be around the corner so if you're going to spend the money, I'd wait it out.

Does anyone have the Nikon D3200 or have experience with it? I'm looking on purchasing today and want to know some of the the pros and cons

The D3200 has served me well thus far, but then again it's the only DSLR I've ever really used. For the price I think it's a great camera but you also have to take into account what you're gonna be using it for. Think about why you want a DSLR over a mirrorless camera or even a point-and-shoot. Are you going to learn to shoot manual or will it be strictly auto? If you plan on sticking to photography as a hobby or even a job on the side type deal you should probably get the best camera your budget allows for. At times I wish I went with a D7100 over the D3200 but the D7100 was way above my budget. The pros and cons definitely depend on what you're looking for though.

Finally took my photograhy class so I finally understand a big part of the functions my camera has and plan to start taking some shots on manual. Really excited about this going forward.

But I was curious to know when you guys go to sporing events (football/ baskebtall) and ur not sitting courtside what lens specs do you guys look for or use to get closer to the action when you might not be?

Really curious bc with Wrestlemania coming uop would love to get some shots when I aint sitting on the floor.

Thanks

The D3200 has served me well thus far, but then again it's the only DSLR I've ever really used. For the price I think it's a great camera but you also have to take into account what you're gonna be using it for. Think about why you want a DSLR over a mirrorless camera or even a point-and-shoot. Are you going to learn to shoot manual or will it be strictly auto? If you plan on sticking to photography as a hobby or even a job on the side type deal you should probably get the best camera your budget allows for. At times I wish I went with a D7100 over the D3200 but the D7100 was way above my budget. The pros and cons definitely depend on what you're looking for though.

I have a point and shoot auto mode is nice touch but I want to have full access to my camera by changing shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and focus. Another thing I noticed with my P&S was that it was kind of slow I know DSLR's have fast shutter speed.

At some point when I get to start shooting more and getting better a job in photography is something I want to work towards one day

I'm gonna check out the D7100 now

looking to make the jump to full frame from my 60d very soon and was really reeeeeally want the Mark III, but don't know if i can justify the price jump.  I think I have my eyes on a Mark II, but was just curious was to what I'm really missing out on.  Primarily just shoot stills, specializing in portrait and travel.  Is it really worth saving up almost double the cost for the Mark III?

I went for the 6D over the 5D3 simply because of the price difference. Obviously you miss out on a few features, for me it was the viewfinder grid and a couple other things that made me really want the 5D3, but at the end of the day, these are minor nitpicks. Anywhere you look you'll find that the image quality of both is damn near identical (with the 6D having a slight edge in high ISO / low-light performance due to less megapixels packed on the sensor. Also, the 6D is Wi-Fi compatible which has come in handy for me. It's easy as hell to shoot, transfer images to your phone, edit in VSCO, and upload to IG. (just an example.) You can also use the Wi-Fi feature to use EOS Remote app to remotely trigger the camera without the need of a separate remote / cable. The 6D is also slightly smaller, lighter so that's cool too.

I wouldn't even consider the 5D2 over the 6D.

Also, since you're still thinking about it, you may want to consider the 5D4 as it could be around the corner so if you're going to spend the money, I'd wait it out.
All of this. Went from 50D>70D>6D and I couldn't have been happier.

I have a point and shoot auto mode is nice touch but I want to have full access to my camera by changing shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and focus. Another thing I noticed with my P&S was that it was kind of slow I know DSLR's have fast shutter speed.

At some point when I get to start shooting more and getting better a job in photography is something I want to work towards one day

I'm gonna check out the D7100 now

The D7100 is over twice the price of a D3200. Do A LOT of research before you make that decision. I personally don't see myself ever making the jump to full frame seeing how I'm broke and a hobbyist at best which is why I mentioned the D7100. If I ever do go to full-frame it will be waaayyyy down the line. I know some people suggest jumping into full-frame right away. You mentioned wanting to have full access to your camera settings. The higher end mirrorless cameras allow you to shoot full manual as well so if you're considering a D7100 you could look into those as well. To me the most important factor when making my decision was price, and the D3200 fit the bill. I suppose the first step you should take is figure out how much you're willing to spend then look around in that range.

Also, 1000th post! Cheers NT!

I went with the 6D also coming from a Nikon D3200 and I considered dropping the money on a 5DMK3 but decided that the 6D has everything I need for what I would be using it for. Is the 5DMk3 necessary for what you're going to use it for? If the 6D can suffice then I'd go with that but the 5DMK4 might be coming out soon so prices on the MK3 will drop then. I'd suggest waiting it out also if you're set on the MK3.

The D7100 is over twice the price of a D3200. Do A LOT of research before you make that decision. I personally don't see myself ever making the jump to full frame seeing how I'm broke and a hobbyist at best which is why I mentioned the D7100. If I ever do go to full-frame it will be waaayyyy down the line. I know some people suggest jumping into full-frame right away. You mentioned wanting to have full access to your camera settings. The higher end mirrorless cameras allow you to shoot full manual as well so if you're considering a D7100 you could look into those as well. To me the most important factor when making my decision was price, and the D3200 fit the bill. I suppose the first step you should take is figure out how much you're willing to spend then look around in that range.

Also, 1000th post! Cheers NT!

Yea that price tag is a lil more than what I really wanted to spend starting out the D3200 is good between my range at the moment. Eventually I'd like to upgrade.

Has anyone ever bought one of those camera bundles off eBay I've been seeing a lot and i've been reading mixed reviews

It's really just the focus system with the 6D vs 5D Mark 3. If you don't shoot sports or weddings, than the 6D is fine. Although there are other conditions that are also hard to shoot like fog and what not. I found my Mark 2 not hitting its mark at all and even in sunlit areas. But there are other little things like the Mark 3 having a dual card slot and 6D having gps and wifi but other than that, they are pretty similar.

These cheaper full frames really messed up the market but in a good way. Things are so much more affordable now than they used to be. Even with these 3rd party lens coming out and doing just as well as the first party ones, you can literally save thousands of dollars getting new gear now.

Imagine.....these two cameras below can produce almost similar images with one setup being $3,100. That is an insane amount of money saved.

Nikon D810 + Nikon 14-24mm = $5,800

Nikon D610 + Tamron 15-30mm = $2,700

Last edited:
Yea that price tag is a lil more than what I really wanted to spend starting out the D3200 is good between my range at the moment. Eventually I'd like to upgrade.

Has anyone ever bought one of those camera bundles off eBay I've been seeing a lot and i've been reading mixed reviews

I've seen D7100s go for ~$500 in good condition if you look at the right places.

I'm telling yall.. Check out the FM forums. A lot of good deals over there.

Went out shooting for the first time this year.

16379706318_b0cc36462a_c.jpg

16566262702_dc42281677_c.jpg

16565716441_85ca39c0ba_c.jpg

16381083519_f894be067e_c.jpg

15944812484_f543c4f167_c.jpg

Nice! Whats your setup?

Looks like he used two lights, one with a pink gel. Correct me if I am wrong sn00pee. BTW i will be traveling to Japan next week and was wondering what spots should I hit. I will be in Yokohama for three days for work but will probably be in Tokyo for 2 days.

Nice Rolo. How was it experiencing a Chinese wedding? Being up early in the day for the tea ceremony and have it going to the end of the night? That is definitely a lot of hours.

Looks like he used two lights, one with a pink gel. Correct me if I am wrong sn00pee. BTW i will be traveling to Japan next week and was wondering what spots should I hit. I will be in Yokohama for three days for work but will probably be in Tokyo for 2 days.
Correct. Are you looking for sneaker spots or tourist spots?

Just received my Sony a6000. I wanted something small for a walk around camera. Looking forward to shooting with it tomorrow. Initially, with the kit lens indoors, I'm not really impressed. I know it's a capable camera, but I have to learn it's tricks before judging it.

great stuff on this page, reps all around

Just received my Sony a6000. I wanted something small for a walk around camera. Looking forward to shooting with it tomorrow. Initially, with the kit lens indoors, I'm not really impressed. I know it's a capable camera, but I have to learn it's tricks before judging it.

gotta get some zeiss glass on that thing and let it shine :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom