The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

The pancake would be a great walk around lens. The only ting s the bokeh is only so good at f/2.8 but it's super cheap and even sharp. You're not going to find a better lens than that.

Yea I'm most likely ordering that 24mm, thanks for comments. Coming from the gh2 I definitely understand the crop factor as its crazy on that.

I did want the f/ 1.8 but I'll just have to save for a nicer lens

I've been trying to find an accuse to buy another camera (have no clue why) but the Sony A7 series just isn't quite there yet. I've even heard that entry level DSLRs like Rebels have a better focus system then them. That really is a horrible bench mark. So I really don't see why anyone would invest in a Sony unless they plan to use it like a range finder and just shoot full manual on everything and just try and focus that way. The Sony A6000 sounds even like the better choice but the lenses aren't plentiful and you have to add in the crop factor. I think their 35mm f/2.8 is their solid lens but I would want something wide and their wides lens is an f/4. Until there is a better lens that is out for the Sony system and even a better A7, I am just going to stick with Canon for now.

yea the af isn't that great, especially in low light. i have the zeiss 55mm f1.8, it is crazy sharp even wide open but it can be difficult to nail focus at times, supposedly the a7s is better & a7ii is a bit better still...i can definitely see how it would not be everyone's cup of tea, though depending on how/what one shoots it may not be too much of an issue. as fast as the a6000 is, it suffers to some degree from the same issues, at least for me...that it get 11 frames per second kind of makes up for it though

Anyone picking up the Zony 35mm 1.4?

was just reading/watching some reviews on this, seems to be another excellent performer it is quite large...#thatpricetho, the 28mm f2 is supposed be dropping soon, at a 3rd of the price

That 10-18 looks awesome I might pick that up after the 50. Honestly just want a good bodeg lens for my sneaker shots and some outdoor portraits, is there any better option to start with than the 50 for that?

for those things the 'nifty fifty' on your camera is a pretty good choice, since it will behave like a short telephoto lens, which is what is typically used for product shots & portraits because of the minimal distortion & ability to easily isolate/separate the subject from the background

Anyone picking up the Zony 35mm 1.4?

was just reading/watching some reviews on this, seems to be another excellent performer it is quite large...#thatpricetho, the 28mm f2 is supposed be dropping soon, at a 3rd of the price

Yeah the size and price are definitely a huge factor. I'm still waiting for a comparison with the Loxia 35 to make my final decision.

I haven't liked the rendering on the 28mm f2 images I've seen so far

Yup. Just chilling on my counter in the box. I am going to get around to selling it within the month or so. I am going to lose mad money on it but whatever. I still got to clean it up. The sensor is pretty dirty. One thing I hated about the MK2. My sensor got so dirty and I use my MK3 about he same way and I have marginal issues with it. It could just be me though.

Dang I would've thought you had gotten rid of it like last year. I can see why the sensor would be dirty considering you take it everywhere with you.

Yea I'm most likely ordering that 24mm, thanks for comments. Coming from the gh2 I definitely understand the crop factor as its crazy on that.

I did want the f/ 1.8 but I'll just have to save for a nicer lens

I have the 24mm, and for the landscape stuff I enjoy doing its been great. Its a decent portrait lens as well, however like others stated you won't get that same bokeh you would with say the 50mm. Also as someone who owns the 40mm pancake in addition to the 24mm the AF can be inconsistent even in good lighting (I use a T5 & SL1 so keep that in mind as well)

My funds are very limited till at least May, but I plan on picking up the 10-18mm and 85mm 1.8 very shortly.

Last edited:
Shot this past wknd w a 7D MKII and 40mm 2.8 pancake lens. Very impressed how fast the lens is at a compact size.

Any opinions on the cheap canon 75-300 besides starting at f4 is it pretty similiar IQ-wise to the kit lens? I kinda wanna pick one up as they're about 60-80 locally in case I needed the reach.

My other lenses are the 18-55 stm kit lens and 24mm pancake

Last edited:
The 75-300 is def something i use and i would say for 60-80 its a pretty good option to have, especially if your into shooting landscapes

Thanks for the info trynafeelmink trynafeelmink

Also I saw something about an assignment on the first page. Is that something that goes on in here? I feel like it would push me a little more to go out and shoot random stuff.

Last edited:
This is Nikon's answer to the Canon M. Look pretty damn good with the autofocus and even capabilities of putting on Nikkor lenses with the adaptor. Wish it had a viewfinder but I guess that is not what Nikon is going for. I bet this will do great in Asia.

Nikon-1-J5-camera-flash-550x429.jpg

[COLOR=#red]Correction, Sony is coming out with the A7R ii Full Frame mirrorless cam, and will be introducing a new camera the A9 which will be a FF mirrorless camera which is being designed to go head to head with the Canon 5DS DSLR. I'm rooting for Sony.

Also the A7 is not as bad as you are making it out to be Fong. Professional photogs, and trusted reviewers have sung its praises. It's a 1.0 release that broke new ground in the camera world, everything isn't going to be perfect. Innovation means taking risks and learning, then refining. Best believe the Mk.2 version of the A7 is beastly, the Mk.2 version of the A7r and A7s will too be awesome. A lot of it was previewed with the a6000.

I am sure it is a great camera but it's just not practical in all scenarios yet. But if you are shooting say portraits, landscapes or just anything that isn't moving, I am sure the camera performs perfectly. It's really just when subject matters are moving where it has it's issues and I heard the MK2 version is still not even that great. I guess I just wouldn't want to be limited with what I want to shoot. I am not even a street photographer at all but if I want to go shoot a concert or a parade, I would like know my camera is able to do it.

I do think with the help of 3rd parties lenses that Sony will be able to compete with Canon and Nikon. All this Sigma Art lenses that are being made has really helped bridge that gap since most of those lenses are pretty good and cheap. Even the Tamron lens I want is made for a Sony mount as well.

[COLOR=#red]Fong you don't have to prefer or even like Sony mirrorless cams, but at least provide accurate info. The A7 slow autofocus is somewhat exaggerated. Also the Mk.2 has a much improved autofocus system. Though neither is as blazingly fast as the a6000 which has great IQ and sharpness even with its "crop" sensor. Crop in quotes because APS-C gets a bad rap uneccesarily.

Sony has to fight perception and bias more than true capability.

It's obvious these mirrorless cameras aren't made for sports shooters... So, sometimes having not so quick auto focus is a non-issue. Everyone has their cup of tea and prefer what they prefer. Mirrorless with not be as fast as DSLRs anytime soon and that's the tradeoff. You're always going to have a tradeoff. Will you sacrifice auto focus speeds for lightweight and portability without sacrificing image quality? Hell yeah. For sports and quick moving shots, definitely stick to DSLRs.

It's obvious these mirrorless cameras aren't made for sports shooters... So, sometimes having not so quick auto focus is a non-issue. Everyone has their cup of tea and prefer what they prefer. Mirrorless with not be as fast as DSLRs anytime soon and that's the tradeoff. You're always going to have a tradeoff. Will you sacrifice auto focus speeds for lightweight and portability without sacrificing image quality? Hell yeah. For sports and quick moving shots, definitely stick to DSLRs.

[COLOR=#red]More disinformation. Exactly what I'm talking about :lol: Hilarious!

The a6000 has PDAF on 92% of it's sensor and shoots at 11fps FULLY focused, one of the fastest focusing cameras out period regardless of format. I was in Utah at Arches Natl Park last summer and there was this extremely fast Chipmunk that was taking food from my fellow TA and then running back to the rock crevice. I put it on the fastest shooting mode and it shot so fast full focused at full resolution that it played back like a movie in preview mode. It has a pretty big buffer in both jpg and Raw.

Stop the misinformation.[/COLOR]

Mirrorless Tour de France Verdict

I set out with fair expectations for the A6000 at a professional sporting event. Based on my tests so far I knew it should be okay when the action was a bit slower on the uphill sections, but I had little idea how it would fair on the faster flats and downhills.

That it delivered hundreds of technically good images over five days astounded me. Here was an affordable mid-range camera that consistently captured the best road cyclists in the World in a huge variety of conditions, even when they were hurtling towards me at speeds in excess of 80kph. Now I understand that’s not as fast as track cycling, nor anywhere near the same league as motor racing, and for those situations I can’t yet say how performs as I’ve simply not had a chance to try it.

But the fact it performed so confidently in the conditions I tested it opens it up to a wide variety of sports and events. It should handle pretty much any athletics, ball or court games, and of course your kids running around at any age. The FE 70-200mm f4G OSS is a great lens to pair it with for fairly close range action and I’d recommend it to any owner of the A6000 wanting a high quality telephoto zoom that’s also future-proofed for full-frame.

http://petapixel.com/2014/08/18/mirrorless-sports-photography-capturing-tour-de-france-sony-a6000/

[COLOR=#red]:lol: Hilarious

inB4 people saying I get a check from Sony...just because their wrong :rofl:[/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom