The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I'm dropping the DSLR and rocking the gopro4 errrwhere :lol:

I only use my DSLR for paid work now. If I'm out-and-about I'm good with my iPhone. If I'm out with the intention to take nice photos (memorials, tourist attractions, etc) I'll use the Fuji. It's been good so far with the kit; I just want a nice prime.

Man you dudes be having me itching to get out and shoot ... **** it ... trip to NYC this weekend..... 

If you happen to be in the city tomorrow (Saturday) there is going to be a mass lightsaber battle at Washington Square park.....I plan on going to a friend to shoot some of the characters that will likely be there dressed in Star Wars gear lol

Yeah....seems like a good deal and more so cause the firmware made it a new camera. I would almost do the opposite of what you are doing. Get that kit and sell the lenses and get the Zeiss lens. Honestly it would be such a dumb thing to buy cause the camera itself is still huge but there are those times I would love to not bring my DSRL but still have something that is essentially powerful enough to get me some good photos.

Have you tried the Sony a6000?

I only use my DSLR for paid work now. If I'm out-and-about I'm good with my iPhone. If I'm out with the intention to take nice photos (memorials, tourist attractions, etc) I'll use the Fuji. It's been good so far with the kit; I just want a nice prime.

Same boat. I keep my DSLR for my actual photoshoots. I rock my a6000 with the kit lens. I have a 50mm for it but thinking of moving it for the 35 or wider.

Only places I won't take my DSLR is to places that I know I'll be in water....If im hiking I have a pretty good compact Lowepro and a peakdesign clip on it....I don't mind luggin my camera with me....preference though..

Going on a camping trip to upstate new york late Sept/early Oct. Bringing a DSLR specifically for astrophotography, but would like to invest in a waterproof P&S (I plan on canoeing down the Delaware river with friends as well).....what are some options? I just need something practical

Going on a camping trip to upstate new york late Sept/early Oct. Bringing a DSLR specifically for astrophotography, but would like to invest in a waterproof P&S (I plan on canoeing down the Delaware river with friends as well).....what are some options? I just need something practical

All you need bro, I don't think ANY camera is touching the gopro4 if you looking for something good in water, besides a DSLR with a housing

^Thanks for sharing that video...I'm about to print out some wedding photos and was referred to print at Walgreens lol.

Anyone use a Domke F6 bag? Thinking about getting one.

One more thing, are there any tutorials online on how to shoot B&W shots? Ive read not to shoot through the camera and do the editing in post...

Definitely in color. However, I would recommend shooting black and white through camera and get a feel for B&W photos first since you're just starting out. But definitely in color and then edit in post once you get the hang of it.

Also, if you shoot RAW + JPEG, you can shoot black and white in camera and your RAW will still be in color.

Do you guys have much experience buying lenses on eBay? Pros and cons. There are some good deals on there from sellers with very good feedback (1000+).

Again, any input would be appreciated.

That would be the last place I go If i just had to have a lens. You don't really know what you get until you actually receive the item. I would definitely recommend a specific online message board forum's marketplace such as fredmiranda or face to face Craigslist.

gopros or similar action cameras are probably the most sensible options, as they not only are likely to come with waterproof cases but maybe just as important mounting solutions...another camera to look at is the the sony rx100 (you could probably find a used mark one for less than a new gopro) & waterproof case...while it won't have as many different video modes, its bigger sensor should yield better quality video; you'd just have to figure out how/where to mount it...

few shots from my time in the Air Force thus far. 

dope!

Last edited:
If you happen to be in the city tomorrow (Saturday) there is going to be a mass lightsaber battle at Washington Square park.....I plan on going to a friend to shoot some of the characters that will likely be there dressed in Star Wars gear lol
Damn, at what time was this? I might be to late .... you have a website with information??

Fong, nice work - repped ...

Did  you use a ND filter?

**** it - tomorrow Im going to put everything aside and go out ... lol

I came to nyc to shoot and I just been partying and chilling SMH!

^^^No ND. The waterfall was shaded by the trees so no real need for it but I am sure a filter would help so much with he reflections, the overexposures, etc. That is literally the Tamron's biggest downfall with the 15-30 lens in how you can't use any filters. But I make it work for what it is which is usually just photoshopping it to my liking.

Nice portrait shots up there Keke and ISO. I really need to shoot stuff like that more.

How do you take long exposures with still people in the shot? Example: taking a long exposure of the Golden Gate bridge, with a person standing in the shot as well. Saw a video explaining that you must flash a light on them to have them in the shot, but that sounds really complicated if you're taking a wide angle shot.

Any help would be appreciated guys :smokin

the flash essentially freezes the person in place for the duration of the flash, otherwise the person will be blurry due to little movements over the time of the exposure (the longer the exposure, the more pronounced the blurrier the person will be) i think you would need to set the flash for at the end of the exposure...

Back
Top Bottom