The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

What places do 35mm film to CD for a reasonable price? I was checking out the local Walgreens but they seem to only do it as an add on to getting prints.

Edit: Nvm :lol: found a spot

Last edited:
What places do 35mm film to CD for a reasonable price? I was checking out the local Walgreens but they seem to only do it as an add on to getting prints.

Edit: Nvm :lol: found a spot

Please never go to Walgreens. They are horrible. They probably won't even scan your negatives properly.

This video discusses print but it shows to never use Walgreens or any other budget print shops. It also discusses how having your own printer is just way too expensive for printing things.

^Thanks for sharing that video...I'm about to print out some wedding photos and was referred to print at Walgreens lol.

Anyone use a Domke F6 bag? Thinking about getting one.

One more thing, are there any tutorials online on how to shoot B&W shots? Ive read not to shoot through the camera and do the editing in post...

Last edited:
^^^^^I would almost do the opposite but I am not even a 100% sure if I am right on this. Personally, I would just shoot black and white first because conversions in post can just look odd. Like the tonal contrast would be off because originally it was shot in color. I do think if you go the other route, definitely shoot RAW and then convert using Lightroom. I am sure that program will have tons of black and white filters that can emulate a traditional black and white look.

if you can bump up your budget to $250-$350 you can get a much better camera that will undoubtedly give you MUCH better image quality in a used sony rx100 ( a used mark/version 1) or even a sony nex-3n (this has interchangeable lenses but the body is pretty tiny, it is ever so slightly bigger than the rx100, though this is without a lens) and combine it with cheap, older manual lenses for a pretty compact setup for sub $300...otherwise, you might just be better off using your phone, most point & shoots in that price range aren't going to be that much better than your phone; you also could try buying/downloading a camera app that gives you more manual control over your smartphone camera?

randoms from the past few weeks:

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

here's lookin' at you by a0, on Flickr

walks in the pahhhhk by a0, on Flickr

wait for it... by a0, on Flickr
Man I like the way this came up, but I could really strangle you for leaving that fence there. lol

^^^^Tokina 11-16mm. Not only does it have a better aperture at f/2.8, it's only $400 right now. Get it at B&H cause it's free ship and no tax. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/882236-REG/Tokina_atx116prodxn_ii_AT_X_116_PRO_DX_II.html

Saw this review on the A7R2, Definitely a real advancement from the past A7's but still hardly perfect. As far as the autofocus, it performed insanely well in sunlight but it seemed almost impossible to do in indoor light. I find that somewhat a ball breaker but that is just me. Plus using 3rd party lenses hardly did well but when the Sony had a native lens, it did just as well as the Sony and Nikon. Overall if you love Sony and lenses, this thing is the thing to get.

initially i was expecting to be blown away by it but really it is just a really awesome improvement over the previous iterations, where they addressed a good amount of the issues , image stabilization, internal 4k,better/more accurate af, quiet & silent shutter...it is still going to be a beast, but yea, definitely not perfect; hopefully some of the things can be addressed via firmware...

One more thing, are there any tutorials online on how to shoot B&W shots? Ive read not to shoot through the camera and do the editing in post...

if you don't mind taking up extra space on your card, it might be good to shoot RAW+jpg and then set your camera to do b&w that way you'd get both the b&w jpg & the full color RAW file, but basically the thinking is by doing b&w in camera you are basically throwing away a good amount of color information (which you could use to really tweak a b&w conversion) so you just get more control by shooting in color...

Man I like the way this came up, but I could really strangle you for leaving that fence there. lol

ha! man...i definitely thought at the time, "sucks that fence is there"...and especially as i tried to crop it out in post, but it really threw off the balance of the image; so i kept it in...

Those fire pics last page are just ridiculous 
sick.gif
nthat.gif

Tried out stacking images for a star trail shot for the first time. 157 photos, 30sec exposure each.  Now that i know i can make it work i just need to find an actual cool location to take a shot like this 
laugh.gif

Couple small meteors from last nights meteor shower in the pic too

Last edited:
Tried out stacking images for a star trail shot for the first time. 157 photos, 30sec exposure each.  Now that i know i can make it work i just need to find an actual cool location to take a shot like this :lol:

Couple small meteors from last nights meteor shower in the pic too

dope! haven't gotten around to trying this yet, how long did it take? for 157 shots @30secs = about 78 minutes if you shot continuously, did you know where the center of the rotation was going to be? how did you stack the images?

Do you guys have much experience buying lenses on eBay? Pros and cons. There are some good deals on there from sellers with very good feedback (1000+).

Again, any input would be appreciated.
I bought a used Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8 lens of eBay last year. I simply made sure that all the details of the condition of the lens is listed and that there isn't any cosmetic issues with it.

^^^^^I would almost do the opposite but I am not even a 100% sure if I am right on this. Personally, I would just shoot black and white first because conversions in post can just look odd. Like the tonal contrast would be off because originally it was shot in color. I do think if you go the other route, definitely shoot RAW and then convert using Lightroom. I am sure that program will have tons of black and white filters that can emulate a traditional black and white look.
if you don't mind taking up extra space on your card, it might be good to shoot RAW+jpg and then set your camera to do b&w that way you'd get both the b&w jpg & the full color RAW file, but basically the thinking is by doing b&w in camera you are basically throwing away a good amount of color information (which you could use to really tweak a b&w conversion) so you just get more control by shooting in color...
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'm just going to have to take some shots and practice. I'll be going to a food truck event tonight (Off the Grid SF). Hopefully, I can get some decent shots.

I'm also still learning how to shoot in low light settings with a higher ISO. @Fongstarr  I know you're in SF...Any tips on what settings I should try to shoot at OtG?

^^^^Off The Grid? Well try and shoot open on your aperture. Not sure what kind of lens you have but the lower the number, the better but of course you will be shooting with depth of field, so make sure your main subject matter is in focus. As far as ISO, I don't really go over past 1000-1600 and that is even with my camera. I am not a noise type photographer and like my images clean as possible. If you are that familiar with shooting on manual, shoot on aperture priority and just set the ISO accordingly. The camera should at least take care of your exposure.

^^^^Off The Grid? Well try and shoot open on your aperture. Not sure what kind of lens you have but the lower the number, the better but of course you will be shooting with depth of field, so make sure your main subject matter is in focus. As far as ISO, I don't really go over past 1000-1600 and that is even with my camera. I am not a noise type photographer and like my images clean as possible. If you are that familiar with shooting on manual, shoot on aperture priority and just set the ISO accordingly. The camera should at least take care of your exposure.
Yeah, Off The Grid. Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking shooting either at f2 or f2.8 with the ISO at 1000. So I'll just see how it goes tonight lol.

dope! haven't gotten around to trying this yet, how long did it take? for 157 shots @30secs = about 78 minutes if you shot continuously, did you know where the center of the rotation was going to be? how did you stack the images?
Thanks man. Yea it was somewhere around an hour and a half i believe.  

yea the center of the rotation is the North Star.

i used Starstax to stack them.  super simple. Just drag & drop all the pictures into the program and it does all the work for you. 

Last edited:

i used Starstax to stack them.  super simple. Just drag & drop all the pictures into the program and it does all the work for you. 
How long was the processing?

Also, which app did you use to find the north star?? Yes, I'm dumb when it comes to astrology! LMAO

NICE work though ...

How long was the processing?

Also, which app did you use to find the north star?? Yes, I'm dumb when it comes to astrology! LMAO

NICE work though ...
it only took like under a minute for starstax to blend the 157 photos.  

i just googled it, turns out its the last star on the handle of the little dipper. if you find the big dipper and use the last 2 stars in the scoop part to draw a line, that line points directly up to the North Star.

Starstax has a lot of different options too. this is the same photos blended but using starstax default settings:

the one i posted earlier was using the "comet" option, which i liked the way that one turned out better

Last edited:
Anyone here own a Fujifilm X-Pro1? They are having a fire sale online with two lenses for under a $1000. With the firmware, I heard the autofocus is great. Wonder if it is worth the purchase.

I really need to take some star shots like that... so beautiful :pimp:

Headed to a SF beach for a bon fire tonight... hopefully i can get some good shots.

Anyone here own a Fujifilm X-Pro1? They are having a fire sale online with two lenses for under a $1000. With the firmware, I heard the autofocus is great. Wonder if it is worth the purchase.
Yeah I saw that. I have the x-e2, but i'm considering buying that deal just for the lenses and flipping the x-pro1. Would end paying around $400 less (I'm guessing) for the 2 lenses then buying them separately.

EDIT:
Buying the lenses outright would cost $1,050.

The body looks like its selling used for $400. Kit is about $950 at B&H. So essentially your looking at $550 on those lenses if you sell off the body.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw that. I have the x-e2, but i'm considering buying that deal just for the lenses and flipping the x-pro1. Would end paying around $400 less (I'm guessing) for the 2 lenses then buying them separately.

EDIT:
Buying the lenses outright would cost $1,050.

The body looks like its selling used for $400. Kit is about $950 at B&H. So essentially your looking at $550 on those lenses if you sell off the body.

Yeah....seems like a good deal and more so cause the firmware made it a new camera. I would almost do the opposite of what you are doing. Get that kit and sell the lenses and get the Zeiss lens. Honestly it would be such a dumb thing to buy cause the camera itself is still huge but there are those times I would love to not bring my DSRL but still have something that is essentially powerful enough to get me some good photos.

Back
Top Bottom