The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Just bought a canon t3i body, lens, and charger for $180. New to photography and have only tried using auto. Are there any sites that you all used that helped kick start your photography career?
I'd post some stuff up on fredmiranda.com and ask for constructive criticism.  

2 paid shoots this past weekend. One of them was an NTer :nerd: :pimp:

2 more paid gigs this month and already booked 1 for march and 2 in the works.

2016!!! WE DOIN IT!!!!

Swear this photography journey is so exciting.

EDIT -- Shot with Canon 5d Mark II w/ Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II and Canon 85mm f/1.8.

Last edited:
4 paid gigs for February

Booked 2 paid gigs for march for a total of 3 scheduled for March.

2016 will be the year I finally use photography money to pay for more photography gear.

I can't believe how far this has taken me.

Legit is like a dream coming tru.

^ You can pick up a used 70-200 v2 though for $1600 in excellent condition.  The 200 f2 is going to be double that for the vr1 used.  

^^^^No....I know. But I am just saying. If price was not an issue, I would just get every damn prime and never get a zoom ever. I just get why sports photographers use what they use. Autofocus and sharpness are just that much better.

That 70-200m 2.8 lens :nthat:

I will own one one day

I wanted that 70-200mm as well but man, every time I say I want a zoom, I see videos below that remind me that I love primes more:

There's not doubt that a 200 f/2 is optically better than 70-200 f/2.8.

however, i'm not in a position where i can pay 2x + for a lens with no versatility. a 70-200 is like 1700 used and its basically 100+ lenses in one.

at weddings, I can literally take a full body group shot then chest up group shots while standing in the same spot just zooming and refocusing.

Once I have all my zooms figured out, i'll get specialty lenses and primes. but i'd get a fisheye before a ~$6,000 prime version of a focal length I already have.

I'd be more prone to an 85 f/1.2 than a 200 f/2 to be honest.

Last edited:
^^^^I hear you man. I hear you. You don't need to justify the 70-200mm. I just think it's crazy when you enter in a specific size of lenses that you don't realize there are so many other things out there. I never wanted to shoot with a long lens to recent. I figured the 70-200mm was all you needed cause I'd be damned if I would ever get one of those long lens primes. But when you do the research, you just realize there are so many other lenses to get and if you had the budget, you'd literally want all of them. It's just a horrible horrible hobby to get into cause no one lens will do the trick for various style of photos you want to shoot.

Speaking of lenses, 13 Witness is in India and I think it's rad he's taking on a journalistic approach of things rather than the usual landscape stuff. This is what he brought just for his trip. That is insane! Even wedding photographers don't even bring out that much gear.

12543272_827598804033899_1265522641_n.jpg

^ That is just ridic.  If he wants to carry it all around, thats fine.  I am just trying to figure out what you would need 3 camera bodies for.  I used to have a ton of gear, but I have downsized and now just have a handful of lenses, and one camera body.  I will prob pick up a D500 by the end of the year, but the lenses that I have I am totally satisfied with.  The only thing is I might pick up a 200-400 for some extra range, or a 70-200 because I have been doing a lot more portrait work recently.  I have the 80-400 at the moment, but when I have taken some surfing photos, I wish I had just a bit long reach on the FX bodies.  

I don't even carry that amount of gear to shoot a wedding :lol:

But hey is 13thWitness I'm sure he's only carrying one camera and has a handler carrying everything else...lol

I just want to see the self portrait of him with 3 camera bodies strapped around his neck with a drone floating behind his left shoulder like he's some action comic book character. He even has two 50mm Ls as well. I only carry two lenses now. My 24mm L collects dust now since I have the Tamron 15-30mm. My next lens is going to be a 85mm or higher.

I just want to see the self portrait of him with 3 camera bodies strapped around his neck with a drone floating behind his left shoulder like he's some action comic book character. He even has two 50mm Ls as well. I only carry two lenses now. My 24mm L collects dust now since I have the Tamron 15-30mm. My next lens is going to be a 85mm or higher.
He's going to be traveling in asia also... with the exception of japan, Hong kong, and singapore, he is going to be getting strange looks and a lot of attention with one camera.... all that gear is going to stick out like a sore thumb.  

S/o to all the NTrs making money off photography or as a side income.

I have no plan for that I did a lot of research an I think I'm gonna get a Canon PowerShot G9 X

If anyone has better reccomendation for P&S let me know. I really appreciate it.

S/o to all the NTrs making money off photography or as a side income.

I have no plan for that I did a lot of research an I think I'm gonna get a Canon PowerShot G9 X

If anyone has better reccomendation for P&S let me know. I really appreciate it.
Is a sony RX100 ver 3 or ver 4 out of the price range?  The ver 3 is a bit older, and can be found cheaper nowadays.  The v4 is overpriced new, but can be obtained for around $700 used.  I would get the sony over the canon... but thats just me.  

that 15-30 tamron lens is :pimp:

i just got the 85mm 1.8 and i love it.

Back
Top Bottom