The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

What is everyone thinking about all these lenses and cameras that came out past couple of days? Tamron and Sigma bringing some heat. I hope they perform just as good though.

Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8
Sigma-50-100mm-f1.8-DC-HSM-Art-550x254.jpg

Sigma 30mm f/1.4
SIGMA-30mm-F1.4-DC-DN-lens-550x254.jpg

Sigma Mirrorless Camera
Sigma-sd-Quattro-and-Sigma-sd-Quattro-H-mirrorless-cameras-550x254.jpg
Sigma-sd-Quattro-mirrorless-camera-with-lens-550x384.jpg

Sigma Flash
Sigma-EF-630-flash.jpg

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Tamron-SP-90mm-f2.8-Di-MACRO-11-VC-USD-model-F017-lens.jpg

Tamron 85mm f/1.8
Tamron-SP-85mm-f1.8-Di-VC-USD-model-F016-lens.jpg

I like that sigma is making an attempt at making good glass made for APS-C cameras.

1.8 on a crop nikon is 2.7 and on canon is 2.8. Right up there with 2.8 full frame setups!

I am really interested in that Tamron. I want a 85mm and wanted the Canon f/1.2 but I am thinking this might be just as good and cheaper and with VC. Plus it doesn't look like a mammoth of a lens too. That Canon 85mm can be a real tank to carry.

I am really interested in that Tamron. I want a 85mm and wanted the Canon f/1.2 but I am thinking this might be just as good and cheaper and with VC. Plus it doesn't look like a mammoth of a lens too. That Canon 85mm can be a real tank to carry.

i dont see it being as good as the 1.2L canon.

EDIT:

I think one of the reasons why VC doesnt exist on an 85mm prime is because it isnt necessary.

I haven't been in any situations where im shooting 85mm 1.8 and cant get a sharp image.

I can see why VC would be nice on a heavy 70-200 especially in really low light.

I think VC / IS is overkill on a small lens like an 85 1.8

Last edited:
I haven't bought a lens in forever (outside of fuji kit) or plan to, but those look good. At least crop body users have great options for glass. I also saw that Sigma is making an adapter for sony mirrorless bodies as well.

I like that sigma is making an attempt at making good glass made for APS-C cameras.

1.8 on a crop nikon is 2.7 and on canon is 2.8. Right up there with 2.8 full frame setups!

seriously, sigma is beasting with the quality lenses for good value! though they don't really make much glass for e-mount stuff i'm pretty excited for their e-mount adapters to use the art series lenses...

i dont see it being as good as the 1.2L canon.

EDIT:

I think one of the reasons why VC doesnt exist on an 85mm prime is because it isnt necessary.

I haven't been in any situations where im shooting 85mm 1.8 and cant get a sharp image.

I can see why VC would be nice on a heavy 70-200 especially in really low light.

I think VC / IS is overkill on a small lens like an 85 1.8

Yeah.....the 1.2L is hard to compete with but that camera is sort of a flawed lens though since autofocus is a big hit or miss. I'd say for portraits or things that don't move, the 1.2 is great but for general use, the 1.8 Canon and even this Tamron is more efficient.

And yes....the 1.8 with VC is really for low light. Shooting in daylight is almost a given nowadays but even with VC, you can shoot at minimal ISO which always makes for a better picture in the long run. Low light is really the challenge and I am not an high ISO person and don't even go above 3200 unless it's for star shots. I keep my ISO at max mostly at 1600. WIth VC, I can get it down even more.

Doesn't Sigma already have a 30mm 1.4 that came out a couple years ago?

Last edited:
I still can't figure out how to make my photos post nicely on NT when it comes to sizing.  Anyways, here are some more from Hawaii.

If you "upload" it through Niketalk it'll look like that.

Uncheck the import images box if you have a direct link.

U attach a 70-200 2.8 on that 7d mk ii and its gonna be :pimp: for boxing

idek what to charge for those prints :x

Depends on what you think they're worth, to be honest.

If you're not selling the exclusive printing rights, i guess something like $50? IDK :lol:

I highballed and told her $100 for them.......she countered with 75. She's an old friend so $75 for 4 images....more then fair, plus she plans to use the pics as conversation pieces and would recommend me to others.

Ill be renting that 70-200 2.8 lol......im on a budget. On another note.......

As far as the 7D Mark II......have the cash to buy a body.....however, I see a lot of electronics spots on 7th ave in manhattan selling the OG 7D for between $599-699.....yes its 5+ years old, but I figure its a pretty good bargain, plus it frees up funds to replace my 85 1.8

Saw this video. This is a test of the A6300 with metabones adapter and Canon lenses. Not sure if the AF is better here or the same as the A7R2 but in the sun, the focus seems great.

a crop sensor miorrorless A6300 for $1000 + a $400 adapter for canon glass

i'd rather get a canon 6d tbh

Don't you know this is the rage though? Cause carrying a full frame body is just that much heavier than a mirrorless.

Honestly I don't get it either but some people do like the portability of these cameras. I think if you do, then you have to go small with everything. Getting a huge lens on a small camera just sort of defeats that. But got to give Sony credit for digging into Canon and Nikon sales. About 3-4 years ago, no one was talking about Sony in this fashion. I hope Canon and Nikon step it up a little with their technology.

Don't you know this is the rage though? Cause carrying a full frame body is just that much heavier than a mirrorless.

Honestly I don't get it either but some people do like the portability of these cameras. I think if you do, then you have to go small with everything. Getting a huge lens on a small camera just sort of defeats that. But got to give Sony credit for digging into Canon and Nikon sales. About 3-4 years ago, no one was talking about Sony in this fashion. I hope Canon and Nikon step it up a little with their technology.

I agree with all of this.

I can front though... seeing your exposure live is pretty dope!!!

I just like staying native.

I have an old sony NEX-5 i got back in 2011 w/ an 18-55 3.5-5.6 on it. Does what it needs to do. I dont really desire getting an adapter and using big canon glass on it though :rofl:

I know its not even close to the same thing, but it reminds me of when people get minivans, lower them and put 24's on them.

like wut...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom