The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

:pimp:

That jump in AF points :wow:

I don't know what to make of the Mark 4. I mean I like it but I don't think it would warrant an upgrade for what I do. It's like they just refined the Mark 3 with adding the wifi, better AF, 4K, touch screen, etc but there isn't anything on the camera that I would consider revolutionary. Like ergonomics wise, it's still the same 5D you'd expect on every upgrade. Really wish they did like a true overhaul on the camera body but I guess why fix what is not broken. I do want to see the performance on the dynamic range though. From the videos, it seems like it is better which ultimately would help with landscape shots and what not.

:pimp:

That jump in AF points :wow:

I don't know what to make of the Mark 4. I mean I like it but I don't think it would warrant an upgrade for what I do. It's like they just refined the Mark 3 with adding the wifi, better AF, 4K, touch screen, etc but there isn't anything on the camera that I would consider revolutionary. Like ergonomics wise, it's still the same 5D you'd expect on every upgrade. Really wish they did like a true overhaul on the camera body but I guess why fix what is not broken. I do want to see the performance on the dynamic range though. From the videos, it seems like it is better which ultimately would help with landscape shots and what not.

What specifically were you hoping for in the overhaul?

What im most excited about is copping a mark 3 for ~1,500 :lol: :evil:

Last edited:
Yo, I'm in the market for a portrait lens on a Sony a7RII. Although I would love to have the new 70-200 G master... That thing is like 2.5 G's :lol:

I was thinking between the Canon 135L f/2, Nikon 135 f/2, or Contax 100 f/2. I already have a 50-140mm (70-200) equivalent with my Fuji X-T1, but want one for the Sony.

Got any other lens suggestions? Personal input with either of these lenses?

Last edited:
I currently have like 9 AF points with a max ISO of 6400 :lol:

My buffer fills with 13 shots

:rofl:

Oh to have a modern camera :lol:

You already put in work with what you have, so now you'll really get to flourish :pimp:

:rofl: thanks for the kinds words. I'm trying to learn and shoot as much as i possibly can with the tools I have.

I understand the glass is the bigger investment so I have the current generation 24-70 / 70-200 and they'll move up with me.

I wish i could second shoot for you :wow:

Yo, I'm in the market for a portrait lens on a Sony a7RII. Although I would love to have the new 70-200 G master... That thing is like 2.5 G's :lol:

I was thinking between the Canon 135L f/2, Nikon 135 f/2, or Contax 100 f/2. I already have a 50-140mm (70-200) equivalent with my Fuji X-T1, but want one for the Sony.

Man sony is putting out some good glass to stay native... whats your budget looking like?

I've heard a LOT of good things about that 85mm 1.4 g master

1,800 price tag.

There's definitely a point where the latest isn't much of an upgrade. I spent a lot of time comparing specs recently and went for the previous version - the sensor is the same, the ISO is the same, the autofocus is the same - I can live without a touchscreen and wifi for 2/3 of the price!

Man sony is putting out some good glass to stay native... whats your budget looking like?

I've heard a LOT of good things about that 85mm 1.4 g master

1,800 price tag.

Shoot, if I could go Sony, I would. I would consider the 85mm too, but that's still too rich for my blood.

I'm trying to stay around $800. Gotta stick to the used market.

What specifically were you hoping for in the overhaul?

What im most excited about is copping a mark 3 for ~1,500 :lol: :evil:

Electronic viewfinder or a way to switch from EVF to none and smaller body like the 6D for better weight management. I do like the touch screen since the toggle button on the Mark 3 is horrible. It's a nice refined camera and I love the better autofocus but I just think it caught up with current cameras rather than setting new trends.

And speaking of lenses, that new 16-35mm is OD expensive. I don't know anyone trying to spend that much for a wide angle, even if it is a f/2.8. I mean that lens better blow minds cause I just don't think that price justifies anything.

:rofl: thanks for the kinds words. I'm trying to learn and shoot as much as i possibly can with the tools I have.

I understand the glass is the bigger investment so I have the current generation 24-70 / 70-200 and they'll move up with me.

I wish i could second shoot for you :wow:

I've seen how much work you put in man, it's good to see that hustle. And you're good on glass; you have what you need. If we're talking necessity, the Mark 4 + 24-70 + 70-200 is money for just about anything. Having primes is just icing on the cake. But you already know all of this bro :lol:

From the looks of it, I think I need to be your second shooter :nerd:

And speaking of lenses, that new 16-35mm is OD expensive. I don't know anyone trying to spend that much for a wide angle, even if it is a f/2.8. I mean that lens better blow minds cause I just don't think that price justifies anything.

$2200 :x

It's Canon though, so what did we expect :smh:

I never really looked into that Sony a7RII, but is really that much of a beast :nerd:

My wife's cousin recently copped and I felt like he was trying to make my 5D3 feel inferior :lol:

I never really looked into that Sony a7RII, but is really that much of a beast :nerd:

My wife's cousin recently copped and I felt like he was trying to make my 5D3 feel inferior :lol:

Love it man. It absolutely is a beast. It's unfortunate that you had to deal with one of those #@$^%&s. Gotta hate that elitest attitude.

Canon should just retire the 16-35... goofy focal length

nikon's 14-24 :pimp:

Canons 11-24 :pimp: (although the price :lol: )

Shot last week.

Outside of my normal comfort zone :lol:

Last edited:

if you are considering the nikon & the contax, i assume you are fine with manually focusing...in which case i'd recommend looking into the rokinon lenses, 85mm f1.4 & 135mm f2; the former can be scooped up for less than $300 NEW and the later is maybe around $500 (if worried about resale, buy it for canon/nikon mount). especially if going to shooting at or near wide open, the 85 is pretty comparable to most of the competition wide open & is a decent lens though maybe not the sharpest; the rokinon 135 is just an awesome lens, and hangs with some of the best at that focal length...

also you may be interested in the sony A-mount zeiss 135mm f1.8, which is considered to be a really amazing lens, it is a bit more expensive than $800 though you might be able to find one for around $1k and if you have the proper adapter you can use the autofocus...

There's definitely a point where the latest isn't much of an upgrade. I spent a lot of time comparing specs recently and went for the previous version - the sensor is the same, the ISO is the same, the autofocus is the same - I can live without a touchscreen and wifi for 2/3 of the price!

the dual pixel focusing (along with whatever the lytro like ability to slightly change focus for shots that may be just misses) w/the touch screen is kinda major for both stills & video, along with the increased resolution & 4k (even with its heavy crop) i think it is a pretty decent upgrade; it just doesn't has like a feature or spec that really stands out on paper, but in practice those things could be big

i went to an air show over the weekend and was talking to this cat that told me he was thinking about jumping to the sony because of capabilities that were exaggerated over his current camera & that is the thing about the a7rII is that it is such a capable camera, especially if you are willing to deal with its shortcomings, i think it is easy to be so geeked about all the things it can do that it can seem like talking down on most cameras, your wife's cousin probably meant no disrespect

I have the 85mm Batis. Take a look at that.

Back
Top Bottom