The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I really dislike Jason Lanier :lol:

I am glad we are all in unison cause I hate that guy as well and it has nothing to do with his beliefs on mirrorless but more so cause he reminds me of most photographers I meet that are older and why I can't stand talking to people like him. I feel he's a very one sided person and I think like art, photography should be about embracing it all whether it be the camera equipment or whatever else makes you shoot.

Are there any other Youtube channels worth checking out? People hate Matt Granger but I don't think he's that bad. Tony and Chelsea have informative stuff but their videos get a little long. DigitalRev used to be cool but they got boring and they try to hard to be funny.

:lol:

he does come off as condescending but idk... overall I think his work is too outstanding to ignore. Especially for me because I am aspiring to be a full time wedding and portrait photographer.

I religiously watch / listen to RAW Talk every week by Jared Polin / Fro Knows Photo. Its not for everyone but I love the humor and that they're just real people having a conversation about gear.

Tony and Chealsea are cool... I love dude's custom PC he had built.

I personally don't care for DigitalRev

Anyways... Fro Knows Photo is giving out some 5d Mark IV RAW files at high ISOs

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV RAW Files: Usable At 102,400 ISO? Download to find out

I liked DigitalRev before they started trying hard. I liked it when Kai was still in Hong Kong. Ever since, it's just been meh. I liked them more from entertainment perspective rather than the camera/information perspective.

Matt Granger and Jared Polin are cool too. Very consistent in what they do.

Tony and Chelsea are alright.

I do like The Camera Store TV a lot for whatever reason it is. Check em out if you haven't Although, I'm sure you have.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCameraStoreTV

Here's a video on the X-T2

Captured using Canon 7D Mark II + Aquatech Water Housing

- Recently the Steve Aoki documentary on netflix

great flick! his pops was a g, had me looking up the whole benihana story...

congrats on your progress/success!!

B & H photo's lecture series on their youtube channel is pretty informative, though it can be a bit dry at times...it is wild how much FREE information is so accessible outchea

B & H photo's lecture series on their youtube channel is pretty informative, though it can be a bit dry at times...it is wild how much FREE information is so accessible outchea

I've seen one of their videos. I actually think it's super cool too cause it's like being class and as much as I hated school, I can sit in a photo class no problem.

I liked DigitalRev before they started trying hard. I liked it when Kai was still in Hong Kong. Ever since, it's just been meh. I liked them more from entertainment perspective rather than the camera/information perspective.

I do like The Camera Store TV a lot for whatever reason it is. Check em out if you haven't Although, I'm sure you have.

Kai did have some informative videos. Loved his lens comparisons even though he never left you with a definitive answer on which one was better than the other. It's true that he's become more irrelevant when he moved out of Hong Kong. Their AnalogRev serious is cool though.

I started watching Granger because of Tina. Haha.

And forgot about the Camera Store Canada guy. He's okay and their videos seem rather repetitive with the same editing format.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCameraStoreTV

Here's a video on the X-T2

Someone i follow is matt day. His channel is more so film then digital but i shoot film too. A great channel though

https://m.youtube.com/user/mattdayphotofilmshow?

Anybody in the DMV area that shoots? Moving there towards the end of September ... looking to link with new people.

Oh yeah! Forgot about him. And he's my favorite too :lol: Was thinking more digital than film I guess. Thanks for the reminder! I even follow him on Instagram and Twitter too. How coudl I forget haha

Lol all good. Atleast you already knew of him. Great channel

I know a lot of you here shoot weddings. I was asked to be a second shooter for a wedding this weekend. I've never shot one professionally before. I'm mad nervous haha.

Any advice from you pros out there is much appreciated!

So i need a new camera. Basically i use a canon t1i. I need a huge upgrade. I want a canon 80d but dont want to wait to save up. I want to upgrade asap basically. Well i am thinking anout a canon 60d just have an immediate upgrade. Right now i have $210 saved towards a camera but im willing to spend around or a little over 300 so i will save up a little more if need be.

Pictures will need to be a huge upgrade and i just need good video quality where i can set the exposure myself for youtube videos. Any suggestions on a camera? Like i said, I want a canon 80d, but i dont want to wait to save up. Plus anything will be an upgrade for me at this point. Also already have a canon lense or two so sticking with canon

Last edited:
So i need a new camera. Basically i use a canon t1i. I need a huge upgrade. I want a canon 80d but dont want to wait to save up. I want to upgrade asap basically. Well i am thinking anout a canon 60d just have an immediate upgrade. Right now i have $210 saved towards a camera but im willing to spend around or a little over 300 so i will save up a little more if need be.

Pictures will need to be a huge upgrade and i just need good video quality where i can set the exposure myself for youtube videos. Any suggestions on a camera? Like i said, I want a canon 80d, but i dont want to wait to save up. Plus anything will be an upgrade for me at this point. Also already have a canon lense or two so sticking with canon

Honestly you need to wait and save more money or you can spend more money in the long run.

You can cop a used 70d for around 600.

A used 60d will get you higher quality images as well.

Just keep in mind if you're not going to be happy with it in a couple months you'll just end up spending more money.

I know a lot of you here shoot weddings. I was asked to be a second shooter for a wedding this weekend. I've never shot one professionally before. I'm mad nervous haha.

Not that I have done it before but get a long lens zoom for outdoor shooting, get a more standard zoom with flash for indoor and just snap away like a mad man. The more shots the merrier. Let the lead photographer get the good angles and just get be there for the secondary shots. I think you'll be cool as long as you have content and your shots are clear.

Honestly you need to wait and save more money or you can spend more money in the long run.

Just keep in mind if you're not going to be happy with it in a couple months you'll just end up spending more money.

Im fine with a 60d. I mean i want a 80d mostly for that autofocus. If anything i need stm lenses to utilize that for video. Should be good with a 60d.i already have a wireless remote and not planning on buying another lense anytime soon. Plus i can sell my current lenses with the 60d in the future to get more money out of it.if i never for a t1i as a gift i would have bought a t3i. Idk still contemplating but it seems like a worthy upgrade for now.

Depends how cheap i can find a 60d tho

Last edited:

Im fine with a 60d. I mean i want a 80d mostly for that autofocus. If anything i need stm lenses to utilize that for video. Should be good with a 60d.i already have a wireless remote and not planning on buying another lense anytime soon. Plus i can sell my current lenses with the 60d in the future to get more money out of it.if i never for a t1i as a gift i would have bought a t3i. Idk still contemplating but it seems like a worthy upgrade for now

Yeah i mean the canon 60d is a perfectly capable camera.

Last edited:

Something I posted about a year ago ... edited it some--

Heres some VERY scattered thoughts

Bring all your storage memory cards wouldnt hurt to have a 3rd battery.. .

Set up off camera flash... make the flash form a triangle between you and the subject... but dont make harsh lines from the flash coming in too sideways

NEVER EVER EVER EVER make the bride look overweight. The main photograph will be getting the best angle, this doesn't mean you have to shoot up from the ground. Find a good angle.

Try to get the shot list and try to have your own version / angle of each of those shots.

With that shot list, take the initiative. Take photos of every aspect of the story. All the details around the various rooms. Make the main photographer go WOW. Try to see little thing the main photographer wont see because they are dealing with the bride / family.

Try to match the main photographer's "style" when you can.

Try to photograph people reacting to things. Like parents while the bride and groom say something, while the bride and groom are dancing, etc.

Don't shoot on the opposite side of the main. You dont want to be in the photographs.

Bring:
- WATER - Drink lots of water / stay hydrated
- Almonds, some other kind of nuts (pause), crackers, etc... u might be hungry or the bride or the main photographer...

Try to anticipate the needs of the photographer. If you are thirsty, the main photographer probably is too... cop them some water. They'll love you forever.

Pinterest is your best friend for shot ideas

Always pay attention to the outside of your frame during portraits... never cut off fingers, elbows, shoulders, etc.

djyoung08 djyoung08 You are the man, brotha! Thanks for the info!

thoughts were kinda all over the place.

The biggest thing though is to have fun and take as many photos as you can.

You get the privilege of photographing a wedding with ZERO stress to deliver.

Allows a lot more creativity in a lot of ways than being a main photographer.

I second shot a few weeks ago and the main photographer was sooooo stressed out because the brides family was giving her a hard time. I took over with the pose workflow for the romantic couples portraits & the main photographer gave me a nice little bonus :lol: :pimp:

Here y'all go fams!!!

http://www.escaype.com/

I'm not a member but know people who know people who are members...

Might be a dumb question but does anyone know if there's a way of knowing when the sunsets and will give out crazy colors like it did tonight?

Haha. Dude, I was just telling my girl how the clouds looked nice on the way back home. Didn't know it'd be one of those nights. I always miss out on those shots.

edited to add one of my shots from that night....

Sutro Summer Fire Sky-8 by ryan g, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom