The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Some oldies ... LoL

Planning on selling my 3100 and 18-200 lens and get a used 5d mkii. Any suggestions on the price range that would seem reasonable for the body alone and one with the body and kit lens? Thought about waiting for black Fri to get one but I'm not sure if waiting will make a big difference.

^^^Well, definitely don't get it with the kit lens cause you should just save that and get a better lens instead. Going price for Mark 2s are about $1500-1600. I got mine brand new for $1800. Used price should knock it off a couple of hundred.

Also 6D brand new for the body is about $1500 as well. I honestly don't even know which is better because I think they both lack the autofocus of the Mark3/7D but I heard the ISO is a tad better. Something to think about anyways.

^^^Well, definitely don't get it with the kit lens cause you should just save that and get a better lens instead. Going price for Mark 2s are about $1500-1600. I got mine brand new for $1800. Used price should knock it off a couple of hundred.

Also 6D brand new for the body is about $1500 as well. I honestly don't even know which is better because I think they both lack the autofocus of the Mark3/7D but I heard the ISO is a tad better. Something to think about anyways.

Did you get yours from a retail store or somewhere else? When buying a used one what are the types of things to look for? Shutter count and the condition are the only things I look at but I'm sure there is more. Warranty maybe? Thanks for for the input Fong!

I got mine at Best Buy and when Canon was doing one of those fire sales. I think Best Buy still sells it but for a $100 more. I got it there cause of their credit cards and no APR for 36 months.

For sure the shutter count and cosmetics are huge. Check the screens for scratches and what not cause these scratch easily but I am sure that is expected with getting a used one. Warranty is definitely not a factor since these cameras are so old. If you get one with, that is awesome but don't expect people to have one. Other than that, DSLRs really don't break aside from the shutters after you go over the shutter count. I would just shoot some photos with it to test things cause the sensors could be dirty but that is something you can clean.

Honestly though I know full frames are the rage but the only real thing I have seen it with is with doing long exposures and how the pixels hold better then my old crop frame. Not to say don't go full frame but I would definitely get the right one before you have to do another upgrade.....which is what I am sort of going through. It just saves money in the long run cause when I sell my Mark 2, I am for sure going to lose $400 or so.

Gonna photodump some pics from the beach:

Lately, it's been a little discouraging shooting...So, any criticism to make my photos better would help tremendously...Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Fong how long ago did you get your camera?

5DII for $1800 brand new is crazy good. 

Literally last year in September. Canon had a month long sale and the Mark 2 was about that price. Every store that carried it had it at that price and I lived literally a mile away from Best Buy. I actually think a used one is worth the money. Since the retail price is so low, people just are forced to sell a used one way cheaper. So far $1500 is about what I am seeing and that is one hell of a deal.

Luong1209....why are you discouraged? Those shots and even the SD ones seemed fine. Your ratio of good to bad shots lopsided? That is a given though. I think the only real issue I see is some of the photos are on the cool side. Last one could have had a boost in saturation but that is if you like that look. Your colors seem more true but I bet that photo could be increased a bit.

Guess I wish my picture would come out with greater sharpness and color. I do personally like the "cooler" side of photos.

However, as mentioned, I am opened to critique...
I know you're probably a busy dude, but if you have time, would you mind showing me what you mean (how much saturation) in order to make the photo better?

I guess I critique myself pretty harshly..?

I got mine at Best Buy and when Canon was doing one of those fire sales. I think Best Buy still sells it but for a $100 more. I got it there cause of their credit cards and no APR for 36 months.

For sure the shutter count and cosmetics are huge. Check the screens for scratches and what not cause these scratch easily but I am sure that is expected with getting a used one. Warranty is definitely not a factor since these cameras are so old. If you get one with, that is awesome but don't expect people to have one. Other than that, DSLRs really don't break aside from the shutters after you go over the shutter count. I would just shoot some photos with it to test things cause the sensors could be dirty but that is something you can clean.

Honestly though I know full frames are the rage but the only real thing I have seen it with is with doing long exposures and how the pixels hold better then my old crop frame. Not to say don't go full frame but I would definitely get the right one before you have to do another upgrade.....which is what I am sort of going through. It just saves money in the long run cause when I sell my Mark 2, I am for sure going to lose $400 or so.

I plan on getting it from ebay most likely unless I can find one on craigslist. I want to get a camera with a better image sensor than mine because mine is horrible and the display is even worse. I go out shooting thinking I have great shots then I get home and most of them suck. I've been against canon for ever but now I'm willing to try it out. Plus the lenses are a little on the cheaper side so it'll be better in the long run. What are you thinking of upgrading to in the future? I've looked into the other full frames but they're out of my range. I'll watch/read a few reviews on the 6D vs the Mark ii before I pull the trigger.

^^^Hate to tell you but the screen on the Mark 2 isn't that great either. My D90 had a better screen and was more true to what was on my computer. I even did a side by side with a Mark 3 and that screen is way nicer by size and color. I guess that is expected since the Mark 2 came out in 2008.

Luong1209....I actually thought zoo shots were damn sharp and even for a zoom. Your wide seems fine but of course wide angle lenses suffer towards the edges. Your center image should be fine if shot right but depending on the body and sensor, the edges can get a tad blurry.

This is a bad example cause I am using an online photoshop cause I would have pushed the blues a bit but a subtle saturation boost helped a bit.

Before:
LL

After:
83c30c20_opkladventure1250_zps44f96287.jpg

Now I'm torn as to which one I should get. My friend has the MKii so I'll play around with it and see how I like it. What kind of glassware do you have Fong?

That lake shot is sick.

I only have 2 lenses. 24MM 1.4L and the Nifty Fifty. Aside from the coloring, the 50mm on the Mark 2 is awesome. Literally makes a $100 lens look great with the range it gives on a full frame and bokeh seems to look smoother with the full frame and high pixal count. But almost 99.9% of the time, I have my 24mm on. Oddly I rarely shoot at f/1.4 just cause I don't shoot people or objects. I seem to just use it more as a wide angle rather then portrait use.

I am going to get some new glass hopefully by the end of the year or beginning of next. I am almost sold on getting a long range lens for once. Either the 85mm or the 100mm. It'd be nice to change things up for once.

Gonna photodump some pics from the beach:

Lately, it's been a little discouraging shooting...So, any criticism to make my photos better would help tremendously...Thanks!!!

I like the last one the most...

It portrays a very serene atmosphere... at days end. What difference a couple minutes could make. It's all in the lighting!

And all this talk about what camera is better... both the Mark 2 and Mark 3 are great cameras. Yes, I understanding that taking all the technicalities into account is important, but that's not all that matters.

If the person using the camera knows what they're doing, they could render some beautiful imagery with either one.

I understand, we all want the best resolutions, highest FPS, blah blah blah... but don't get so lost in the numbers game that you lose sight of what your goal should be, to take some badass images. Yes, having a good camera does help, but as we all know, that's not all that's needed. Now go shoot!

The only time one should worry so much about the technical facts is when you're in wedding photography or anything related... but other than that, just keep shooting!

With that being said, I can't wait to upgrade to the Mark 3! The focusing on this Mark 2 is sooooo sloowwww!
laugh.gif

Peace man!

Last edited:
Sup folks can you guys lost some blogs and ig's you follow? I need some inspiration to start shooting and getting more creative. I have a maternity shoot and weeding in the next week. Thanks

KVN

I have a chance to do a bridal shower shooting "portraits" for 3 hours getting paid $200.

I'm not sure I'd take the gig because I as mention, I am harsh on critiquing myself. Have you guys done anything remotely like that, if so -- Can you post pics for inspiration?

Listing what lens and body would satisfy my curiosity as well.

Fong, if the auto focus isn't what you're looking for, try investing in a new focusing screen.

I currently use the original 5d. And i'm sure the focusing system is alot more outdated than the mark II :lol:
Once I switched out the focusnig screen, it was 10x easier to get the focus i was aiming for. For $35 it was a great investment. And with the lenses you own, the viewfinder won't get dark.

^Beautiful

That lake shot is sick.

I only have 2 lenses. 24MM 1.4L and the Nifty Fifty. Aside from the coloring, the 50mm on the Mark 2 is awesome. Literally makes a $100 lens look great with the range it gives on a full frame and bokeh seems to look smoother with the full frame and high pixal count. But almost 99.9% of the time, I have my 24mm on. Oddly I rarely shoot at f/1.4 just cause I don't shoot people or objects. I seem to just use it more as a wide angle rather then portrait use.

I am going to get some new glass hopefully by the end of the year or beginning of next. I am almost sold on getting a long range lens for once. Either the 85mm or the 100mm. It'd be nice to change things up for once.

I was probably going to get the 35mm and a zoom lens just to start off with. Thanks for the input

Last edited:
Fong, if the auto focus isn't what you're looking for, try investing in a new focusing screen.

I currently use the original 5d. And i'm sure the focusing system is alot more outdated than the mark II :lol:
Once I switched out the focusnig screen, it was 10x easier to get the focus i was aiming for. For $35 it was a great investment. And with the lenses you own, the viewfinder won't get dark.

You know what.....my screen is sort of messed up. I am going to go during lunch and see if I can buy one. Thanks for that.

the quality of this image is shot .. not even sure how that happen ... wow! :frown:
Can you guys see the difference or am I going crazy? The top one is like granny and the bottom one is more clean .. not that it matters, because they arent as clean as I like them. However, I want to make sure Im not going crazy!

Last edited:
Can you guys see the difference or am I going crazy? The top one is like granny and the bottom one is more clean .. not that it matters, because they arent as clean as I like them. However, I want to make sure Im not going crazy!
Definitely less grainy (noisy). How'd you do that?

Last edited:
Few recent randoms of friends cars and what not. I'd suggest getting a 6D if given the option between the 5D2 and the 6D solely on the fact that the 6D has the same sensor as a 5D Mark 3. Everything else is pretty much the same, except the 6D uses SD cards and doesn't have a joystick.

Think these two are a 6D with a 135L.

and a roller with the Sigma 35.

Back
Top Bottom