The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Some long exposure shots taken at Joshua Tree during Memorial Day. I'm still learning how to shoot stars, so the first pic has minor star trails since it was a 30 sec exposure. Finally started using the "rule of 500" to keep the star trails from showing when the milky way popped out.

IMG_0490-2 by MrGoldar, on Flickr

Milky Way Memorial Day 2014 by MrGoldar, on Flickr

I probably should have worked on the noise level of the first pic... I'll reedit later.

dope! trying to learn a little about astrophotography but it seems as though you need to know about where constellations are/will be in the sky as well as be some distance away from metropolitan areas?

Bruh I need a new lens stat! I covered a baseball game last night and all of the action shots SUCKED!

What's a good cheapie zoom lens?

Any recommendations for bags?

Currently leaning towards the ONA Union Street, simply because it seems versatile and could use it for work (I lug my MBP to work daily).

ONA bags are :pimp:

I use a Billingham and it's served me well. Also have an Incase sling bag that's been great.

dope! trying to learn a little about astrophotography but it seems as though you need to know about where constellations are/will be in the sky as well as be some distance away from metropolitan areas?

Yea, it does help to know the locations of where the stars you want to photograph are gonna be on any given night. Me and a homie just got lucky because we initially went out there to photograph the new moon. Turns out there was no moon and skies were clear. We also were lucky that our cameras were pointed in the direction the milky way came up. The farther away you are from light pollution the better.

Your long exposure came out pretty clean! I know when you're shooting cities like that you turn your iso down to 100 or as low as you can go. But when shooting stars, I had to turn the iso up as high as I could to absorb the light from the stars. But I also had to watch the noise level.

Yea, it does help to know the locations of where the stars you want to photograph are gonna be on any given night. Me and a homie just got lucky because we initially went out there to photograph the new moon. Turns out there was no moon and skies were clear. We also were lucky that our cameras were pointed in the direction the milky way came up. The farther away you are from light pollution the better.

Your long exposure came out pretty clean! I know when you're shooting cities like that you turn your iso down to 100 or as low as you can go. But when shooting stars, I had to turn the iso up as high as I could to absorb the light from the stars. But I also had to watch the noise level.

that's some good luck! I guess if I'm to try this i'll need to learn some astronomy...yea I was reading some stuff about how to shoot the sky and it seems a have a couple of lens that should do well for this kind of stuff & I was wondering how the high ISO stuff was going to work in the dark...(I tried once before to shoot out away from the city, and was quite properly spooky so I wasn't really comfortable enough to try things out...)

Last edited:
hey guys, if you could offer a recommendation. I have a $200 gift card to Staples and i'm considering getting a new camera.

s0844762_sc7

was thinking of this bundle.

EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Body
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens

Would be about $249.99 - Is this a good DSLR to start with? Or should I stack a bit more and go higher?

Does anyone use the Rebel T3? would love to see the kind of pics it can take

Last edited:
hey guys, if you could offer a recommendation. I have a $200 gift card to Staples and i'm considering getting a new camera.

s0844762_sc7

was thinking of this bundle.

EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Body
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens

Would be about $249.99 - Is this a good DSLR to start with? Or should I stack a bit more and go higher?

Does anyone use the Rebel T3? would love to see the kind of pics it can take

If you could get a T3i that'd be better.

Rebel t3 is a decent starter, you will defnilty learn the basics thats what i first started using(borrowing my brothers) I would recommend getting the t3i if you can though.

I just purchased my D7100 yesterday super excited to get out shooting and post some shots.

Polarizer came in handy today :smokin even though the reflection on the windshield can still be seen it isn't as bad as it would be without a polarizer.

Any advice on buying a used dslr and any forums that have a good marketplace for Canons. I was looking at the t3i but realized I can get a used t4i for about the same price. Is it worth upgrading and buying used or should i save myself the headache and settle for the t3i?

Last edited:
Any advice on buying a used dslr and any forums that have a good marketplace for Canons. I was looking at the t3i but realized I can get a used t4i for about the same price. Is it worth upgrading and buying used or should i save myself the headache and settle for the t3i?

When buying a used DSLR you have to do a little more research before pulling the trigger. If buying off ebay/craigslist ask the seller questions like how many acutations (photos taken) have been taken, how long have they had it, any scratches/marks on the lens/body, anything mechanically wrong with it, does the lens creep, (not really a big deal but I'm stingy about that kind of stuff, video below), is there an extended warranty on it that they purchased through a third party, is there dust on the sensor/mirror. Things like that. I realize people can just lie about these things but if you get someone that's honest about it you'll have a better experience with your camera instead of finding some of these things out on your own. For forums I can't really help you there since I don't really frequent them.

Lens creep. See how it begins to move down on it's own once it's put to 35mm.

Edit: Also check out the refurbished site. Might find something you like there. Keep in mind body only means you don't get a lens. Not sure if you knew that already or not.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras

Last edited:
i don't know, sounds suspect to me...the theft thing doesn't makes sense what thief would be that discriminating ("i only steal leicas!")? and while i don't doubt the human eye's ability to react to bits of contrast, again this really doesn't make sense to me because street photography is so fast moving that brand marking on a camera would seem innocuous in such settings; besides the motion of bringing your camera up would be an even more telling action than markings on a camera... my theory is some photographer some time ago, didn't want other photographers to know what camera he/she was shooting with or some nature/wildlife photographer thought up for not standing out in nature, either way i think other photographers have picked it up & its just a thing that people do in the sub-culture of photography that people probably don't even question the logic of anymore...

I can definitely see what you're saying. You don't always pull up the camera to your face when doing street photography though. There's less to catch the eye when hip-shooting. I would say the whole tape thing is more of a stealth mode. While it doesn't do a whole lot, every little bit counts.

i'm kinda glad i didn't really look for advice when choosing a camera, otherwise i'd probably have a canon or a nikon...i would really recommend to anyone in the market for a camera to just go to a place where cameras are sold & mess with what's there; trying to keep in mind your pricepoint, how you plan to use it, as well as maybe how much it will allow you to do in the future, if you're in an actual camera store maybe ask the staff a couple questions (rather than a general electronics section/store like best buywalmart/target), then buy online (or in store if you can get a good price)

I can definitely see what you're saying. You don't always pull up the camera to your face when doing street photography though. There's less to catch the eye when hip-shooting. I would say the whole tape thing is more of a stealth mode. While it doesn't do a whole lot, every little bit counts.

i've found some things where some pros cover the logos so not to seen 'advertising' a particular brand such that a brand may not sponsor them or they just do not want to appear partial to one over the other (or to keep peeps from talking gear to them, which it actually seems like this would encourage people who were so inclined to ask what camera are you shooting?), it helps keep the camera exterior fairly pristine (or near 'DS' ) for resale, and some older photographers who shot during wars would tape over their silver topped camera bodies as not to be made out by snipers & such, those all come across much more plausible to me than being of any kind of use for discreetness in street photography...#sidebar i recently watched a cool documentary on eddie adams, (in)famously known for one of the most famous photographs of the vietnam war, that photograph kinda haunted him his whole career...

some shadowy silhouettes seen in southern china #alliteration:

cloud of smoke by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

bending corners by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

on duty by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom