The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

So I've come across a couple hundred dollars that I can freely spend. I'll probably end up spending it on sneakers or an ultra-wide/wide angle lens. Since I've been telling myself I'd cut back on sneakers for years I'm heavily leaning towards some new glass. The few times I've looked around I've read good things about Rokinon/Samyang lenses. Just not sure what focal length to go with and what features are useful. For example, is an AF-confirm chip worth the extra money?

To help you guys help me:
Nikon D3200 with no intention of moving to full-frame in the foreseeable future
Willing to spend about $300
Likely shooting landscapes during motorcycle pit stops.

Thanks in advance for any input. You guys are definitely one of the (if not the most) helpful threads on NT.

Awesome stuff.......likely gonna be in the Bay Area for Wrestlemania 31, pics like this help build the anticipation!

Do you know what levis camera policy is? Im going sitting in section 200 not sure how much i will be able to see but thinking of taking with me so I can take pics

So I've come across a couple hundred dollars that I can freely spend. I'll probably end up spending it on sneakers or an ultra-wide/wide angle lens. Since I've been telling myself I'd cut back on sneakers for years I'm heavily leaning towards some new glass. The few times I've looked around I've read good things about Rokinon/Samyang lenses. Just not sure what focal length to go with and what features are useful. For example, is an AF-confirm chip worth the extra money?

To help you guys help me:
Nikon D3200 with no intention of moving to full-frame in the foreseeable future
Willing to spend about $300
Likely shooting landscapes during motorcycle pit stops.

Thanks in advance for any input. You guys are definitely one of the (if not the most) helpful threads on NT.

if you don't mind the lack of autofocus, of course, the bower/rokinon/samyang/vivitar lenses are great values and have a gang of fast wide angles that you'd be able to get around $300...

8mm f2.8 fisheye
10mm f2.8
12mm f2 *this is mirrorless only
12mm f2.8 fisheye -full frame lens
14mm f2.8 -full frame lens
16mm f2
24mm f1.4 full frame lens

i don't really know how the well focus confirm works, nor do i know what focusing is like on a nikon but one of the things about wide angle lenses it that everything can look to be in focus...the wider the lens the more things tend to look in focus and depending on the minimum focusing distance, you may be able to get some decent background separation but as you approach infinity more things will look in focus even wide open (stop down a bit and focusing is almost irrelevant...)

the 24 at around 36mm equivalent on your crop sensor may not be all that wide but you get a wider aperture and it might be slightly more flexible as a landscape/general lens than most of the other options...but it is a full frame lens & might go for more than $300 (it is also a fairly cumbersomely large lens), the 16mm might be the next best option because it is faster & maybe slightly smaller than cheaper 14mm. the 16mm allows filters, while the 14mm has an unthreaded built in lens hood, which could come in handy!

Last edited:
if you don't mind the lack of autofocus, of course, the bower/rokinon/samyang/vivitar lenses are great values and have a gang of fast wide angles that you'd be able to get around $300...

8mm f2.8 fisheye
10mm f2.8
12mm f2 *this is mirrorless only
12mm f2.8 fisheye -full frame lens
14mm f2.8 -full frame lens
16mm f2
24mm f1.4 full frame lens

i don't really know how the well focus confirm works, nor do i know what focusing is like on a nikon but one of the things about wide angle lenses it that everything can look to be in focus...the wider the lens the more things tend to look in focus and depending on the minimum focusing distance, you may be able to get some decent background separation but as you approach infinity more things will look in focus even wide open (stop down a bit and focusing is almost irrelevant...)

the 24 at around 36mm equivalent on your crop sensor may not be all that wide but you get a wider aperture and it might be slightly more flexible as a landscape/general lens than most of the other options...but it is a full frame lens & might go for more than $300 (it is also a fairly cumbersomely large lens), the 16mm might be the next best option because it is faster & maybe slightly smaller than cheaper 14mm. the 16mm allows filters, while the 14mm has an unthreaded built in lens hood, which could come in handy!
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I think the 8mm focal length appeals to me most, especially since I'm shooting APS-C. I can't seem to find the 8mm f/2.8 for Nikon F-mount though; it seems to be a mirrorless lens only. Closest I could find is an 8mm f/3.5. It's $259.00 with the auto focus chip and $229.00 without. For $30 I think I might just bite the bullet to be able to use focus confirm, auto-WB, and such. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880774-REG/Bower_sly358ae_8mm_f_3_5_For_Nikon.html

Review of the Tamron's 15-20mm against the Nikon's 14-24mm:

EDIT: I can't believe I am saying this but I might get this damn Tamron. I am not really into 3rd parties but this just seems like a great bargain for the performance and since Canon's 11-24mm is way more expensive and with a less open stop, this is just the way to go. I can't wait to use this for landscapes.

Last edited:
Do you know what levis camera policy is? Im going sitting in section 200 not sure how much i will be able to see but thinking of taking with me so I can take pics
I don't know, this would be my first time in the arena. Most venues usually have a policy stated on their websites. It also depends on what the event being held is.

Yeah bunch of dudes were out there shooting....I'm a bit annoyed by all these 13thWitness wannabe's I follow a bunch of them on IG but they just come off so unoriginal...and a lot of them are a bit arrogant.

Yeah bunch of dudes were out there shooting....I'm a bit annoyed by all these 13thWitness wannabe's I follow a bunch of them on IG but they just come off so unoriginal...and a lot of them are a bit arrogant.

Haha. I don't even follow a ton of Bay Area photographers on IG but when I do check out some, I am just so amazed how many people go out and shoot around SF. And I am not even talking about those Flaskmob guys but just how there are almost crews going out daily just to get a photo. I feel like I am way behind and even rather lazy. I am like the wannabe and I didn't even know it! Haha.

All good though. I try not to get caught up in the hoopla of stuff on IG. I rather am just amazed at most people talents. So many good photographers out there.

Haha. I don't even follow a ton of Bay Area photographers on IG but when I do check out some, I am just so amazed how many people go out and shoot around SF. And I am not even talking about those Flaskmob guys but just how there are almost crews going out daily just to get a photo. I feel like I am way behind and even rather lazy. I am like the wannabe and I didn't even know it! Haha.

All good though. I try not to get caught up in the hoopla of stuff on IG. I rather am just amazed at most people talents. So many good photographers out there.

Nah bro, is the same way here in NYC...but I've met some of the dudes with large accounts at a few meets, some which are very cool...and then there are some that are just arrogant little pricks...that think they really hot because they got 10k+ followers and they all
Shoot the same streets, the same bridges, the same "kicks off a rooftop ledge photo" , even the same little street models....they all clones of each other, the new age of photography hypebeasts...I dig the older dudes Tho...check out Denn_Ice, Visualsbypierre and Insighting those are the homies...only ones I'd roll with to shoot and been invited a few times, but just like you I'm also lazy, specially in the winter :lol:

Review of the Tamron's 15-20mm against the Nikon's 14-24mm:

EDIT: I can't believe I am saying this but I might get this damn Tamron. I am not really into 3rd parties but this just seems like a great bargain for the performance and since Canon's 11-24mm is way more expensive and with a less open stop, this is just the way to go. I can't wait to use this for landscapes.
eek.gif

Anyone know of any spots to shoot in San Diego? I am going to be there over the weekend and wanted to see if I can get some shots while I am out there. I googled some stuff and it seems to be mostly beaches but if there is anything I am missing, please let me know. Thanks.

Also saw this. New M3. I like how the M2 did nothing at all for Canon.

Canon-EOS-M3-mirrorless-camera.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know of any spots to shoot in San Diego? I am going to be there over the weekend and wanted to see if I can get some shots while I am out there. I googled some stuff and it seems to be mostly beaches but if there is anything I am missing, please let me know.

Balboa Park is one place I've hit up when in SD.

Anyone know of any spots to shoot in San Diego? I am going to be there over the weekend and wanted to see if I can get some shots while I am out there. I googled some stuff and it seems to be mostly beaches but if there is anything I am missing, please let me know. Thanks.

Balboa Park is one place I've hit up when in SD.

Balboa Park
Chicano Park
Old Town
Centennial Park in Coronado (for San Diego skyline pics)
SeaPort Village
La Jolla has a gang of spots (including Salk Institute, huge Church of Latter Day Saints)
Crosby Street Park pier - for night time shots of Coronado bridge
Horton Plaza
University of San Diego campus
Santa Fe train depot
Presidio Park
Mission Trails Regional Park

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom