The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Not sure if it's common knowledge. But before buying any lens,check out sample photos. I usually frequent the Lens Sample Photo Archive on POTN just to see what others produce on certain lenses. It also sucks because now I want a 85L and 135L haha.

Yeah, I've done my fair share of looking at samples online, etc. The more I look around, the more I lean towards the 35L. Just seems like a friendlier focal length to walk around with. Thanks for the insight my man. Preciate it!

t3i 50mm 1.8
the cheap $80-100 nifty fifty

5f361807_16487964061_e60a5c693f_k.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey guys. My bad if it's already been asked but how can I resize my Lightroom photos to fit perfectly on Instagram and without losing quality? If tried  to resize photos to 640x640 but it didn't work. I use Lightroom 4 if it matters. Also, would there be a different method for landscape photos?

The size of IG ppics are fixed. Most use instasize. The ongoing debate is to resize or not. I deleted my entire IG port to start fresh so the pictures line up.

I was a bit of in the same situation. Part of me regrets getting the 35L tbh. Its still a great lens, but the 24L II is sharper and wider(obviously). You could find a used copy of the 24L. There's also the new 24 ART if you really want a 24mm prime at a cheaper price. I dont plan on selling the 35 soon, so I am picking up the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm since I need something wider at times.

Don't regret it at all man. 35mm is probably the best focal length there is for its versatility. Although it's not great for head shots, it's great for environmental portraits (but I'm sure you already knew that). I feel that 24mm is just so limiting though. If anything, just pick up the 24 Art at a later time. It's just as good as the L, if not better.

Does anyone micro adjust every time they get a new lens? Or is it only necessary when you feel pics aren't sharp enough or the focus doesn't lock on to the exact point(s)? This subject is new to me.

When I had a DSLR, I would check its focus as a precaution. Some do it proactively, and some do it reactively. Either way, I would definitely do it though.

Last edited:
Hey guys. My bad if it's already been asked but how can I resize my Lightroom photos to fit perfectly on Instagram and without losing quality? If tried  to resize photos to 640x640 but it didn't work. I use Lightroom 4 if it matters. Also, would there be a different method for landscape photos?

The way I would do it is download the original sized image via flickr onto my phone. Then, use an app, like Grizzly mentioned, such as Whitagram, Instasize, etc., to resize it and just post to instagram. No need to resize via Lightroom. Waste of time and space.

Don't regret it at all man. 35mm is probably the best focal length there is for its versatility. Although it's not great for head shots, it's great for environmental portraits (but I'm sure you already knew that). I feel that 24mm is just so limiting though. If anything, just pick up the 24 Art at a later time. It's just as good as the L, if not better.

Does anyone micro adjust every time they get a new lens? Or is it only necessary when you feel pics aren't sharp enough or the focus doesn't lock on to the exact point(s)? This subject is new to me.

When I had a DSLR, I would check its focus as a precaution. Some do it proactively, and some do it reactively. Either way, I would definitely do it though.
I will admit it is my most used lens now. I barely use my 24-105 and Nifty as much. Not a bad idea, still want to try out a Sigma Art.

Will read up more on it and watch some videos. Thanks.

I will admit it is my most used lens now. I barely use my 24-105 and Nifty as much. Not a bad idea, still want to try out a Sigma Art.

Will read up more on it and watch some videos. Thanks.

Sweet. Can't wait to see what you shoot!

Thanks for the input guys. I have tried that. I use sqaureready and I adjust the picture so it all fits but I have to fill in the top and bottom. But I'm trying to have the picture resized so I don't lose any part of the picture and still fill in the entire instagram square. Is this even possible or will I always have to fill in after resizing?

My picture for example: 

I don't want to have to compensate with the black borders

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I have tried that. I use sqaureready and I adjust the picture so it all fits but I have to fill in the top and bottom. But I'm trying to have the picture resized so I don't lose any part of the picture and still fill in the entire instagram square. Is this even possible or will I always have to fill in after resizing?

My picture for example: 

You either keep the borders, or crop the pictures to 1:1. You can't stretch the images to fit.

^What he said

My picture for example: 

Ex. I posted this on IG

And here's the original

You either have to crop the image to fill in the square or deal with the black bars.

[COLOR=#red]I'm sure they could learn...Photography isn't quantum physics my dude. [/COLOR]

Never said it was and sure they can, but is more than being technical with a camera or even learning....you gotta have a certain personality trait when it comes to portraits, specially something as intimate as a maternity session, a wedding or a family session...you can know your camera outside and out, if you have a ****** personality, your subject will never connect with you and it will show in your pictures....every aspect of photography requires specific traits, some you can learn along the way, some you sort of have to be born with.

My picture for example: 

All images posted to IG are in a 1:1 format.

You can post the full image but you'll have the bars on the top and bottom. There are some apps out there that can make the black bars white instead if you want a cleaner looking feed.

I post all my stuff 1:1 though.

As far as "quality" goes, are you using Instagram on an Android device? If you are, it's well known it butchers the quality.

Last edited:
All images posted to IG are in a 1:1 format.

You can post the full image but you'll have the bars on the top and bottom. There are some apps out there that can make the black bars white instead if you want a cleaner looking feed.

I post all my stuff 1:1 though.

As far as "quality" goes, are you using Instagram on an Android device? If you are, it's well known it butchers the quality.
Does 1:1 mean converting in light room 1:1 inches? I tried it and it still doesnt fit but it seems that there's no solution to this. And im using an iphone

No it means 1:1 ratio. No matter what you do, IG will post your photo as a square image. If you want to post images that are rectangular you're gonna have the bars on the top and bottom.

Instagram will always have a 1:1 ratio. There's no way to get around it. To fit 3:2 and 4:3 ratio photos, like mentioned previously, you're either gonna have to crop it or scale it down to fit 1:1. If you don't want solid colored borders, there are apps that blend the bars to the original image. Kinda like when an SD video is shown on an HD network.

I've learned to live with the 1:1 ratio, and I refuse to use a 3rd party app in order to post the entire image, *** makes your feed look sloppy....I rather all my photos 1:1 and nicely flushed....even if the crop sacrifices part of the whole photo

@bscarrillo427 I think ima roll with the 35mm street photography is what I want to start of with, then eventually move to other fields.
I'm a detail freak but man those lenses...

Why are macro lenses so expensive?

macro lenses tend to be really sharp and distortion free across the frame and maybe because it enlarges images that makes the lens assembly of the different elements in a macro lens different than a standard prime or zoom? and because macro lenses are kind of a specialized lens, therefore that may make the rationalization of the the price(s) charged for them easier...

dope!

Never said it was and sure they can, but is more than being technical with a camera or even learning....you gotta have a certain personality trait when it comes to portraits, specially something as intimate as a maternity session, a wedding or a family session...you can know your camera outside and out, if you have a ****** personality, your subject will never connect with you and it will show in your pictures....every aspect of photography requires specific traits, some you can learn along the way, some you sort of have to be born with.

definitely, the different genres of photography lend themselves to different skill sets but i think it's probably more of an experience & preference thing. where knowing what to expect, intersects with wanting to be good; no matter what the thing is in order to be good at something most people have to put in some time in to it. those that succeed off of innate talent alone are the exception

For those, trying to eliminate the black bars on instagram, I use LilPix Pro. You can choose the colors of the borders. I make my borders white so I get a clean look.

I use PicFrame app. When you leave the other squares blank and save image, they come out white. Plus they have more of an accurate numbering on resizing your top and bottom bars so they are exactly the same size.

I've learned to live with the 1:1 ratio, and I refuse to use a 3rd party app in order to post the entire image, *** makes your feed look sloppy....I rather all my photos 1:1 and nicely flushed....even if the crop sacrifices part of the whole photo

For the longest time ever I always thought the pictures you posted on your page were never cropped lol

Going back, I decided to upload some stuff I shot with a P&S SX170IS, and considering when most of these were taken (maybe a year ago or so), I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of shooting with DSLR (starting to figure out how to operate it manually)

Stuff shot with an SX170 well before I purchased my first DSLR! by iammikerios, on Flickr

Stuff shot with an SX170 well before I purchased my first DSLR! by iammikerios, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom