The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Hello photography thread, can anyone help me understand wifi vs nfc offered on cameras?

I'd like a dslr that I can shoot photos with and send directly to my phone as I'm out and about.

For a camera with wifi capabilities, I would need to be connected with a hotspot?

With nfc, I can send directly when the camera is in proximity?

Are the t6/t6i/t6s the only Canon cameras that offer NFC?

Is there another option to sending photos from my camera to phone? (I'm currently using a t3i).

You can probably get a card reader for your phone. My mom uses one.

Cool, I went ahead and bought this.

Guess I'll have to have an app to convert files from raw on my phone though now that I realize.

And does anyone have any upgrade suggestions on bodies? I have a t3i and was wondering if there was something better that would be worth putting my money into.

I'm just shooting with a 17-50 tamron right now and plan to get a sigma 30mm within the month.

Last edited:
Almost 100% of my gear is used... Camera and lenses are ALL used.

The only things I've purchased brand new is the Flash and Transmitter

I'll tell you what I tell everyone else.

You're better off investing in glass now before you plunge into full frame.

You'll have a much bigger improvement in your portrait work with better glass than a bigger sensor with weak glass.
I'm sure the quality of my work will increase some what shooting FX, but better glass will have a larger impact I'm sure.

I wish the 18-55 & 55-200 kit lens were F 1.8 those would be the only lenses id ever need.

Hello photography thread, can anyone help me understand wifi vs nfc offered on cameras?

I'd like a dslr that I can shoot photos with and send directly to my phone as I'm out and about.

For a camera with wifi capabilities, I would need to be connected with a hotspot?

With nfc, I can send directly when the camera is in proximity?

Are the t6/t6i/t6s the only Canon cameras that offer NFC?

Is there another option to sending photos from my camera to phone? (I'm currently using a t3i).

Get an Eye-Fi card. Sends photos right to your phone through the Eye-Fi app.

And does anyone have any upgrade suggestions on bodies? I have a t3i and was wondering if there was something better that would be worth putting my money into.

I'm just shooting with a 17-50 tamron right now and plan to get a sigma 30mm within the month.

Body wise, unless you want something for video (70D/80D) or for sports/wildlife (7D MII), I wouldn't upgrade. You wouldn't see a big bump in IQ and low light until you go Full Frame. I myself, plan to upgrade to a used 6D once it drops in price to around $800, still pretty high considering its age and specs but for what I shoot, should be pretty good. Hopefully next year when the 6D MII drops, we will see a price drop but then again, L lenses ain't cheap.

Those in the bay area do you guys know of any abandoned or railways that aren't being used in the San Jose area that I could get a car near? :nerd:

Last edited:
Get an Eye-Fi card. Sends photos right to your phone through the Eye-Fi app.

Do I need to be connected to wifi, or can I be out in the woods doing my thing.

Body wise, unless you want something for video (70D/80D) or for sports/wildlife (7D MII), I wouldn't upgrade. You wouldn't see a big bump in IQ and low light until you go Full Frame. I myself, plan to upgrade to a used 6D once it drops in price to around $800, still pretty high considering its age and specs but for what I shoot, should be pretty good. Hopefully next year when the 6D MII drops, we will see a price drop but then again, L lenses ain't cheap.

What's everyone's opinion on the 7D MK I? Relatively older body, they seem to be going for about $500 or so.

Those in the bay area do you guys know of any abandoned or railways that aren't being used in the San Jose area that I could get a car near? :nerd:

Not a lot of abandoned places down here that I'm aware of :lol:

IMO, I think if you're upgrading to another cropped body, you should just invest in nicer glass.

Just my opinion tho.

Got some places I want to check out this summer ..

Bixby Bridge
Davenport Pier
Mt. Tam/Muir Woods/Marin area
Golden Gate (is it sad I've never seen the GG Bridge? :rofl: )
HWY 1

Maybe make my first trip to Yosemite for 1 day, 1 night.

So much to do.

Last edited:
Just ordered my first lens for my A7, the Sony Sonnar FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA. Definitely see the Sony Sonnar FE 35 f/2.8 ZA in the near future until I can pick up the Batis 25mm and 85mm lenses.

Yesssss. Good to hear. That 55mm is a damn beast especially for the price. You'll definitely love it.

my $250 setup

$200 body, $50 lens

canon t3i, nifty 50, bad lighting but came out ok. iso400 1/100 f2.8 even at iso800 it starts to be too noisy for me so i try to avoid. no IS obviously on this lens, i can't shoot any slower, and i have to manual focus because i dont trust AF on this lens. missed too many shots before.

27495768990_55b0764524_b.jpg

27161171304_81a28f620f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Almost 100% of my gear is used... Camera and lenses are ALL used.

The only things I've purchased brand new is the Flash and Transmitter

I'll tell you what I tell everyone else.

You're better off investing in glass now before you plunge into full frame.

You'll have a much bigger improvement in your portrait work with better glass than a bigger sensor with weak glass.

I'm sure the quality of my work will increase some what shooting FX, but better glass will have a larger impact I'm sure.
I wish the 18-55 & 55-200 kit lens were F 1.8 those would be the only lenses id ever need.

Well you wouldn't want to put those lenses on a full frame body to begin with.

Yes, shooting a 50mm 1.8 will have less noise than on your D3xxx... but it also wont be cropped.

Especially since you're portraiture leans more towards models, 50mm on a full frame body simply wont cut it. You'll need better glass. Period. Filling the frame w/ 50mm 1.8 on a full frame (even cropped for that matter) will lead to a distortion that is not optimal for portraiture.... especially with models.

70-200 2.8 on your d3xxx will be a substantially larger upgrade than 50mm 1.8 on a d810.

Then, when you do upgrade to full frame you have two lenses to use with it and have yet another big upgrade.

Some streetwear brand reached out to me to shoot a model as they are building a look book.

Another client who found me on instagram.

Crazy to me... the thought of indirectly making money of IG

Also -- The brand wanted all resting ____ face so why all the facial expressions are very similar :lol:

Yes, shooting a 50mm 1.8 will have less noise than on your D3xxx... but it also wont be cropped.

Especially since you're portraiture leans more towards models, 50mm on a full frame body simply wont cut it. You'll need better glass. Period. Filling the frame w/ 50mm 1.8 on a full frame (even cropped for that matter) will lead to a distortion that is not optimal for portraiture.... especially with models.

70-200 2.8 on your d3xxx will be a substantially larger upgrade than 50mm 1.8 on a d810.

Then, when you do upgrade to full frame you have two lenses to use with it and have yet another big upgrade.

Oh of course I wouldn't even touch those lenses using FX. You make a very valid point. 50 on FX vs DX is more 35ish.
I think I will just save and hold off until I make more money to make a big investment like such.

I just want a new camera and gear but I have to be patient [emoji]128563[/emoji][emoji]128553[/emoji]

I feel I really just want a 50, 85, 70-200 and maybe 24-70 and I'll be good

Oh of course I wouldn't even touch those lenses using FX. You make a very valid point. 50 on FX vs DX is more 35ish.
I think I will just save and hold off until I make more money to make a big investment like such.

I just want a new camera and gear but I have to be patient [emoji]128563[/emoji][emoji]128553[/emoji]

I feel I really just want a 50, 85, 70-200 and maybe 24-70 and I'll be good

subtract the 50 cuz I gave my 50mm to my buddy who just got a camera and add 100mm macro and thats my current lens arsenal.

all bought used on the low.

all bought using photography gig money.. all this year

Always grinding

Next item to cop is another camera body so i can demote my current body to a backup :x :x :x :x :x :x

I sincerely hope i can cop the next camera this year

Last edited:
subtract the 50 cuz I gave my 50mm to my buddy who just got a camera and add 100mm macro and thats my current lens arsenal.

Always grinding

Next item to cop is another camera body so i can demote my current body to a backup :x :x :x :x :x :x

My 50mm has been soooo good to me tho lol.
I was thinking about selling it and getting the 1.4
I've been getting offered to do family sessions and children. Not really my thing but might as well give it a shot and try to get some money from that it'll go to my equipment.

Being where I'm at the model scene isn't too high at all so I struggle at times finding them.
It also doesn't help that at this point everyone in Indy wants to be a photographer and it brings the market down a bit. Why paid my $100+ when your friend or family member will do it for less if not free? Smh

I forgot all about the 100mm marco I heard that is very nice.

At some point I want to use my D3200 for street shots and random shots.
And all my real work with my new body whenever I get it

Last edited:

Always grinding

My 50mm has been soooo good to me tho lol.
I was thinking about selling it and getting the 1.4
I've been getting offered to do family sessions and children. Not really my thing but might as well give it a shot and try to get some money from that it'll go to my equipment.

Being where I'm at the model scene isn't too high at all so I struggle at times finding them.
It also doesn't help that at this point everyone in Indy wants to be a photographer and it brings the market down a bit. Why paid my $100+ when your friend or family member will do it for less if not free? Smh

I forgot all about the 100mm marco I heard that is very nice.

At some point I want to use my D3200 for street shots and random shots.
And all my real work with my new body whenever I get it

I cant stress enough that copping a longer focal length will greatly increase your work more than going from one 50mm to another.

85mm 1.8 G nikkor would give you very good image compression and incredible bokeh

A lot of the models I shoot with I shoot for trade... I get more content to post and so do they.

Basically, I find a new face and if i approach them, its for trade... if they approach me, its a job. :pimp:

In order to get people to pay you have to SHOW them that your work is superior to that of the free pictures.

If the client doesn't see the value, they wont bite.

Its a real time performance review.

I would never have thought that the memory card would make that much difference. I was shooting my daughters dance recital last week with my new Nikon 5200 (love the low light performance) and I missed a few shots because it was still writing to the card.

When I got the camera I bought a 32Gb class 4 SD card. Today I went and spent the $8 extra on a class 10 card.

The difference is ridiculous - even in single shots. With the old card it takes about 7s to write to it and the new one is about 1/2s. That will make a big difference next time I'm shooting something moving fast.

yeah i only use the Lexar CF card that writes at 120/mbs

way faster than what the 5d mk II can do... 13 image buffer in RAW :x :x :x

Thankfully in the portraiture I do, i dont need a huge buffer :rofl:

What are people's thoughts on portraits using wider angle lenses. I understand possible distortion, etc but I've always liked the look of them for some reason. Especially with shallower depths of field.

Searching for newer glass. Currently have a 50mm on an FX body. Great for portraits but not that versatile imo.

What are people's thoughts on portraits using wider angle lenses. I understand possible distortion, etc but I've always liked the look of them for some reason. Especially with shallower depths of field.

Searching for newer glass. Currently have a 50mm on an FX body. Great for portraits but not that versatile imo.

24-70 2.8

I cant stress enough that copping a longer focal length will greatly increase your work more than going from one 50mm to another.

85mm 1.8 G nikkor would give you very good image compression and incredible bokeh

A lot of the models I shoot with I shoot for trade... I get more content to post and so do they.

Basically, I find a new face and if i approach them, its for trade... if they approach me, its a job. :pimp:

In order to get people to pay you have to SHOW them that your work is superior to that of the free pictures.

Most of mine have been for trade as well.
I don't think they see what I see when I explain why they should take pictures with me vs "Joe Blow"
I still feel there's a lot to work on so when they don't bite it doesn't bother me because I know I can be better
Then I see them take pics with someone else and they are just terrible.

I'm 100% sure the 85mm will be my next pick up, but idk it'll be the 1.8 or 1.4
My mom says she'll go half with me for my gear so that helps a lot.

Current equipment: 

Nikon D3200

Nikon D3300

18-55mm kit lens

35mm Nikon Prime Lens

85mm Nikkor

Nikon Speed Light SB600

I want to shoot at a wider angel but I feel like my current 18-55mm lens does not do the job (quality wise). Is there a wide prime lens for the bodies I have. Im thinking like a 18mm or 20mm? Any input is great...

Most of mine have been for trade as well.
I don't think they see what I see when I explain why they should take pictures with me vs "Joe Blow"
I still feel there's a lot to work on so when they don't bite it doesn't bother me because I know I can be better
Then I see them take pics with someone else and they are just terrible.

I'm 100% sure the 85mm will be my next pick up, but idk it'll be the 1.8 or 1.4
My mom says she'll go half with me for my gear so that helps a lot.

1.8 will definitely do the job

Bokeh on the 1.4 is absolutely amazing but you definitely pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom