The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I am not super into video but this GH5 looks like to be the clear winner for now if you are shooting 4K.

Hey guys, I recently got a nikon D3400. I've been playing with it a ton to figure everything out but was just wondering if anyone has a website or videos they recommend for a beginner?

Dope! I don't have any specific videos, but just search whatever you can on YouTube.

Don't get easily discouraged and have fun. Shoot as much as you can. The more you shoot, the sooner it will come to you.

Morning coffee shot with my YashicaT4

Dope! I don't have any specific videos, but just search whatever you can on YouTube.

Don't get easily discouraged and have fun. Shoot as much as you can. The more you shoot, the sooner it will come to you.

Thanks man! That's pretty much what I've been doing. Took a minute to figure out all the terminology since this is my first foray into dslr photography but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Pretty much practicing with shoe/beer pictures to figure everything out lol. I was going to share a few in here but then saw that there are some incredible photographers in here so I canceled that plan lol

Last edited:

Thanks man! That's pretty much what I've been doing. Took a minute to figure out all the terminology since this is my first foray into dslr photography but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Pretty much practicing with shoe/beer pictures to figure everything out lol. I was going to share a few in here but then saw that there are some incredible photographers in here so I canceled that plan lol

Don't worry, post away!

the toughest part of getting into photography is trying to learn without a DSLR, at least for me thats been the hardest part. but my birthday is on Tuesday and im gifting myself a DSLR. I hope that when i do purchase one the terminology and nuances of photography do come quicker. I hope to post some shots here for critique so i know what I'm doing wrong and how i can improve on the shots i want to take. 

Don't think that way, man. I'm learning as well.

People in this thread are helpful and aren't jerks like some folks in other photography forums lol.

Yeah....don't trip about criticisms or what not on here. I think this is one of the few (if not only) posts where we are somewhat composed and not punks. Well, most of the time anyways.

Speaking of learning, finally learned how to bracket shots in my camera. Then I finally learned how to blend them in Lightroom and then into PS. I didn't get the results I wanted but I hope to do it it again with a more light exposed photo.

Do you, homie!! Don't feel embarrassed about posting. We're not like those photography elitists on other photography forums :lol:

Oh yeah, books are great too. Not even just instructional books that teach you about settings, your camera, etc - you can also benefit from photo books by learning different people's style and even trying to emulate your favorites.

Don't ever be afraid to show your work man, it's your art at the end of the day.

We all have to start from somewhere, besides criticism is always needed to improve!

and even if we were punks - we dont pay your bills - do you and F what anyone says ....

BTW, Im probably the punk that always give feedback whether is good or bad .... I just come across a lot worst than what it is at times.

and even if we were punks - we dont pay your bills - do you and F what anyone says ....

BTW, Im probably the punk that always give feedback whether is good or bad .... I just come across a lot worst than what it is at times.

Nah....you straight. I was thinking of the guy that ran ShortyPop. That dude was harsh. Haha. But honestly I would take it as just criticism. Again, the shooters on NT make up like a small percentage of what is out there. Some people straight hate the current state of photography, especially this instagram era. Anyways......at least we aren't harsh like that on here.

Didn't think anyone was a punk or whatever lol.... Just thought some of the shots on here are way above my level so didn't think many would want to see shots of shoes.
Also feel free to criticize/give pointers. I've only had the camera for about 2 weeks now. All edits have been done on my phone with the Lightroom app. Need to try the full comp version this weekend.

So here we go:
The first pic was the first decent shot I managed after a few days of plying around

Last edited:
^

Good stuff man, those jumping shots turned out clean. How do you like LR mobile? I've been wanting to jump to an iPad Pro for most of my computer needs, but I've been hesitant because it only runs LR mobile.

bjamez20 bjamez20 thanks man I'm a little obsessed with the jump shots at the moment lol it's been tough to time them though
The Lightroom app is pretty great imo but I just switched from snapseed once I got this camera so I don't really have any full photo editing programs to compare too. It is free though for iPad and iPhone so def worth downloading.

the toughest part of getting into photography is trying to learn without a DSLR, at least for me thats been the hardest part. but my birthday is on Tuesday and im gifting myself a DSLR. I hope that when i do purchase one the terminology and nuances of photography do come quicker. I hope to post some shots here for critique so i know what I'm doing wrong and how i can improve on the shots i want to take. 

a dslr will make a bit easier but there are quite a few mobile apps that open up manual controls over smartphone cameras, prolly not the ideal, but does give a closer representation of some of the decisions you make when making photos with a dslr

from random warm days here in the midwest winter:

goals by a0, on Flickr

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

Last edited:
a dslr will make a bit easier but there are quite a few mobile apps that open up manual controls over smartphone cameras, prolly not the ideal, but does give a closer representation of some of the decisions you make when making photos with a dslr

from random warm days here in the midwest winter:

goals by a0, on Flickr

Untitled by a0, on Flickr
look into the mirrorless system. When changing aperture, shutter speed, etc, you get a live view of the image. Makes it easier to know how your image will look. My first camera was the Sony a6000 and I haven't thought of looking back.

Back
Top Bottom