The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^ very cool 
nthat.gif

First one and car shot are super good

For those that have been shooting weeding/engagements.

I want to know what is the absolute must have gear.

From lighting to lenses to rig.

Thanks!

depends. If you're cool with using zooms i'd recommend a 70-200 for most shots and a 24-70 for wide shots.

If you'd rather shoot primes i'd recommend 35, 50, 85, and 135 (if you're on canon) / 105 (if you're on nikon)

I always have a speed light set up for off camera just in case i need it or want to use it to darken a background.

I tend to use zooms and i have 85mm and 100mm primes.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain the use of exposure compensation when shooting manual? I don't get it and keep coming across it in articles.

I get how it works in the auto/semi-auto modes when you're adjusting what the camera thinks is the right exposure - but why wouldn't you just change either the f-stop or the exposure when shooting manual?

Am I missing something? Been bothering me for a while.

Can anyone explain the use of exposure compensation when shooting manual? I don't get it and keep coming across it in articles.

I get how it works in the auto/semi-auto modes when you're adjusting what the camera thinks is the right exposure - but why wouldn't you just change either the f-stop or the exposure when shooting manual?

Doesn't do anything if you're shooting manual. I shoot in aperture priority and use the exposure comp wheel to change the shutter speed if I need to under/over expose. 

Doesn't do anything if you're shooting manual. I shoot in aperture priority and use the exposure comp wheel to change the shutter speed if I need to under/over expose. 

yea, doesn't work in full manual...i use when using auto iso in manual though

Because there are f/stops that work better than others.

for example:

by changing the f/stop from a 2.8 to a 5.6 might throw the bokeh or look of the image by having more things in focus that intended.

of by doing an f/stop switch you might find that you went from the entire image being sharp to soft edges.

that's the gizz of it ...

when you are shooting manual you can control everything you want .. just because the camera tells you it's properly expose doesn't mean that's what you want the look to be!

damn ksteezy ksteezy awesome update on the site, i actually had you and rolo bookmarked since i followed yalls stuff haha but that iso 10,000 is ridiculous. ***** lol so much good stuff in here, bjamez20 bjamez20 i feel like you really captured the mood in all those pics, the fog and rain really set the tone. super dope. here are a few pics from a recent trip to tokyo. nothing compositionally profound or stimulating, just travel pics and more photos from the trip on a blog post update here https://www.grinfluenza.com/new-blog/2017/2/2/wavy. also bought a film camera which i will try to learn and play with after seeing a lot of people in here show off their awesome stuff.

32515119502_ff3c444390_c.jpg
31855703473_8366f0f404_c.jpg
32545775501_9f4f71b762_c.jpg
32288954220_6f2cfa1e30_c.jpg
32514832982_3a061a957a_c.jpg
32676378055_cb1f8b27d1_c.jpg

Last edited:
damn @ksteezy awesome update on the site, i actually had you and rolo bookmarked since i followed yalls stuff haha but that iso 10,000 is ridiculous. ***** lol so much good stuff in here, @bjamez20 i feel like you really captured the mood in all those pics, the fog and rain really set the tone. super dope. here are a few pics from a recent trip to tokyo. nothing compositionally profound or stimulating, just travel pics and more photos from the trip on a blog post update here https://www.grinfluenza.com/new-blog/2017/2/2/wavy. also bought a film camera which i will try to learn and play with after seeing a lot of people in here show off their awesome stuff.

32515119502_ff3c444390_c.jpg

31855703473_8366f0f404_c.jpg

32545775501_9f4f71b762_c.jpg

32288954220_6f2cfa1e30_c.jpg

32514832982_3a061a957a_c.jpg

32676378055_cb1f8b27d1_c.jpg
Oh Tokyo, so in love with Japan lol. Only been once, before I became a decent shooter. Beautiful shots ya got here

@bjamez20  dude your shots are fkin awesome. Info on camera/settings you used thanks!
Thanks man, I shoot with a Fuji X Pro 2. Almost all the shots I post on here are with the 10-24 or cheapo 50-230. If light allows for it, I try to shoot at f11 or f8. Those Big Sur shots were with a 10 stop ND filter so I could get 30 second exposures.
 @bjamez20 i feel like you really captured the mood in all those pics, the fog and rain really set the tone. super dope.
Thanks, it's crazy being out there in the rain. You're basically walking around in a big *** cloud.

@ksteezy  that's insane for ISO 10k 
eek.gif

Finally taking a crack at developing color film. Have a backlog of a half dozen rolls. Brace yourselves for more Mt. Tam pics 
laugh.gif

For that was the 24L

The mk4 is gonna change the game for my wedding season, I can now manipulate low light conditions so much better!!...if I can shoot up to ISO 26000 with pretty much minimal noise, the mk3 handled noise like crap, anything passed ISO 3200 was yuk

Awesome stuff in here is always! Reps all around

bjamez20 bjamez20 Killed it yet again man! Amazing amazing amazing! What time do you usually head up to marin to catch the fog rolling in like that? Also are you using a B+W nd filter or something else?

ksteezy ksteezy With the iso cranked up that high I was wondering how do you have so little to no noise. With my 6d anything past 2000 is :x unbearable to look at.

@bjamez20 Killed it yet again man! Amazing amazing amazing! What time do you usually head up to marin to catch the fog rolling in like that? Also are you using a B+W nd filter or something else?
Thank you sir! I try to get up there in time for first light, around 6:30. I use a B+W 10 stop and 6 stop. I'd love to upgrade to Lee filters one of these days though. Been on the fence about adding a circular polarizer to the bag as well.

^Nice! Seems like a lot of people ended up going.

[@=/u/37920/bjamez20]@bjamez20[/@] Killed it yet again man! Amazing amazing amazing! What time do you usually head up to marin to catch the fog rolling in like that? Also are you using a B+W nd filter or something else?

Thank you sir! I try to get up there in time for first light, around 6:30. I use a B+W 10 stop and 6 stop. I'd love to upgrade to Lee filters one of these days though. Been on the fence about adding a circular polarizer to the bag as well.

Wow you are really dedicated to getting up there. I still need to get an nd filter which is why I asked. I recommend getting the polarizer just to bring out the sky but I mainly use it for reflections.

Back
Top Bottom