The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^ the cache is more of a temporary folder that allows faster operations. It "preloads" photos and videos, and stores them in the cache. Clearing it will just erase your preview/thumbnails of the photos already in your library. The photos will "load" like when you first imported them (generating thumbnails and previews). However, whatever adjustments you made to the images will be unaffected.

32582486412_c2eaf467b9_h.jpg

When people do long exposure freeway shots from a pedestrian bridge how is it done? I normally see a fence on pedestrian bridges.

When people do long exposure freeway shots from a pedestrian bridge how is it done? I normally see a fence on pedestrian bridges.

Not all have them. Otherwise, if you have a lens with a small front element (like something on a 50mm), then you can get right up close and shoot through the hole. If thats not possible, use the largest aperture (small f number), and it might blur some of it out if you are really close. at night, you can probably still get it for a second or so even on such a wide open lens, and use the lowest possible iso.

Im trying to step my portrait game up. Yesterday I practiced shooting portraits, for some reason I find it somewhat challenging. Any help would be appreciated. Heres yesterdays random trip to sf.

Im trying to step my portrait game up. Yesterday I practiced shooting portraits, for some reason I find it somewhat challenging. Any help would be appreciated. Heres yesterdays random trip to sf.
This is just my opinion, so take whatever you think is useful. I'm happy you posted them, and I think this is the best way for people to learn. Critiques are really good to improve your photography. I'll say that if you are taking portraits, in my opinion, the most important thing is you need eye contact with the subject. Personally, I don't see any of it in any of the pictures. I'm just going to go over some things to fix on these photos, if you don't mind.

I feel like the background is a bit too busy. I like how the guy is somewhat isolated from the stuff along the floor/wall, but his pose is a bit awkward. It doesn't quite look like he is walking. I'd try to get a more natural walk pose (or have him actually walking). The background is also way to busy for my liking, but thats just me.

This one is nice, but, only after looking at it for a while, I figured out what he was looking at. I would try to figure out what your subject is for this photo. If it is the bird stuff, then focus on that, and blur him more. Otherwise, I feel it is just a little awkward.

-I can't see the dude's eyes because the hat is blocking the light from hitting his face.
-the tall buildings are coming out of the top of the girls head. The biggest thing for my portraits is the background..... the background placement makes or breaks the photo.

This one is better, but because the lady is wearing her had backwards (and you can't see anything else of her face), it looks like he is consoling a friend who is crying in his arms.

best one of the set

Again, I can't see his eyes, but the background placement is better.

I hope all that helps!

Thanks. When you head up to mount tam, to get that wavy look in the fog, is the 6 stop sufficient? Guessing your shutter speeds at roughly a minute depending on the lighting?
6 stop is sufficient, I usually shoot at 30 seconds if I'm doing a long exposure. Although I've seen people who do 1-2 minute exposures and get a really cool wavy effect also.

Went to the Milwaukee Art Museum this past weekend, very cool place, looks like a spaceship on the outside and inside.

Been doing a lot of night shooting lately, wanted to switch it up, let me know opinions/criticisms yall

IG: @Norwaydre

Last edited:
Went to the Milwaukee Art Museum this past weekend, very cool place, looks like a spaceship on the outside and inside.

Been doing a lot of night shooting lately, wanted to switch it up, let me know opinions/criticisms yall

BRUH all these lines :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin :smokin

I need to get out more :smh: :lol:

hey folks, im an absolute beginner and have been eyeing a dslr for a while.....any suggestions?...also mirrorless or dslr?

im looking to treat as a hobby and possibly a gig here and there when i get good enough.

looking to do more pics than video if this helps

I'm deciding between the Nikon d5500, d7100, and d3400. I've been searching ebay daily trying to see the best deal I can get. Most deals i'm finding with these three models come with a kit lens and a 35mm lens for under $750 with a shutter count below 5000.

I want to focus on portrait shots and a little bit of landscape. Video recording is always a nice bonus. Out of these models, which one is my best option?

thanks in advance fellas
I've had the D7100 twice and it's basically one step from a full frame cam and it's easily the best cam out that list. Others may have different features as mentioned before like a movable screen but the 7100 is the best overall imo

the milwaukee art museum is, for all its impracticality, pretty dope to look at inside & out...when the weather turns i hope to try to get up there early to catch the opening of the wings, i been up that way twice and missed the closing off the wings both times, got some flight time in though, screen capture from a go pro video

hey folks, im an absolute beginner and have been eyeing a dslr for a while.....any suggestions?...also mirrorless or dslr?

im looking to treat as a hobby and possibly a gig here and there when i get good enough.

looking to do more pics than video if this helps

it is really difficult to buy a "bad" camera, but there are some thing worth considering, what's your budget? what do want to shoot? how much does portability/size/weight matter to you? mirrorless has the flexibility to use a wide range of lenses via adapters (some even allow autofocus & control with the cameras) but generally their bodies & lenses tend to be more expensive than dslrs, as well as going through batteries faster...dslrs have a broader lens range & a bigger second hand market

Portraits will always be somewhat difficult cause you've gotta be more interactive with the people your shooting. You've gotta be a little demanding (in my opinion) so you can direct them but at the same time make them look how you want as well as making sure they still look natural. Even with friends, sure they'll be more understanding and more talkative to you. You still need to interact with them a little more than you think.

I think @dragicon  had some good advice/tips for you and I totally agree with what he's saying. Eye contact is a key thing, it captures the mood of the person. Backgrounds don't wanna be too busy, but if they are lower the f-stop a little or blur it out in Photoshop. Overall, not bad for trying to get some practice in though

the milwaukee art museum is, for all its impracticality, pretty dope to look at inside & out...when the weather turns i hope to try to get up there early to catch the opening of the wings, i been up that way twice and missed the closing off the wings both times, got some flight time in though, screen capture from a go pro video

it is really difficult to buy a "bad" camera, but there are some thing worth considering, what's your budget? what do want to shoot? how much does portability/size/weight matter to you? mirrorless has the flexibility to use a wide range of lenses via adapters (some even allow autofocus & control with the cameras) but generally their bodies & lenses tend to be more expensive than dslrs, as well as going through batteries faster...dslrs have a broader lens range & a bigger second hand market
My budget is about $500. i'd like to shoot landscape and portraits for the most part. size/weight i havent realy thought about.....thanks in advance

IG: @Norwaydre
Nice set, I really like that last shot a lot for some reason lol. I can't really figure out why, but it's just very appealing to me 
laugh.gif

Thanks. When you head up to mount tam, to get that wavy look in the fog, is the 6 stop sufficient? Guessing your shutter speeds at roughly a minute depending on the lighting?

6 stop is sufficient, I usually shoot at 30 seconds if I'm doing a long exposure. Although I've seen people who do 1-2 minute exposures and get a really cool wavy effect also.

I went ahead and ordered the 6 stop last night. Will be putting it to use once the sun comes out. Thanks for the help!

erdyawron erdyawron

Great use of leading lines! 3rd one is my favorite but they're all great shots.

kingcurt1 kingcurt1 With a budget of $500 you're probably looking at an entry level nikon/canon. Maybe a fujifilm but I don't know anything about those. Also if you plan on sticking with one brand then you can purchase more lenses for when/if you decide to upgrade to a full frame body. If you purchase a used set of craigslist/ebay you'll be able to have more money for glass.

djyoung08 djyoung08 Will peep those videos when i get a chance and give it a [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji]

squarianaa squarianaa

Appreciate the kind words, maybe its cuz of my gf? hahah jk

yanky yanky

Thank you sir, been trying to focus on a different concept of photography each week, leading lines was the most recent one

djyoung08 djyoung08

This is the first time I've shot outside of Chicago in a minute..you recent portrait work has been bananas

bjamez20 bjamez20

Thanks homie

tokes99 tokes99

I want to catch the opening of the wings as well, heard its a must see in the summer

Hey all, i'm new to photography...Is a Nikon D3300 a good entry level camera?

Perfectly capable for your first DSLR. As long as you put in the time/effort to really learn how to use it you can do plenty with it. I'm still using my D3200 I got a few years back and I don't feel like I've outgrown it.

My advice is get the "best" camera that your budget allows. If that's the Nikon D3300 right now, that's great--you'll have plenty of camera to work with. Worry more about developing a technique and understanding principles than buying a "good" camera. You can worry about that once you feel you've got a good grasp of technique.

Back
Top Bottom