The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

@erdyawron  Nice shots, that museum has been on my list for a while for places to visit. Anything else in the area worth shooting/checking out?

95% percent of my NY set completed. Still got about 10 shots left to edit or so and I'm at my local coffee shop the rest of the day to finish and get into other sets. I'll be posting soon!

Getting back into portraiture after doing nothing but photojournalism for a while. This was a dope shoot and excited to do more. What's everyone's instagram btw? Making mines over from scratch content-wise, so it's a new start for me. instagram.com/impactthemasses

#teamfollowback of course 
nthat.gif

Peep the latest video bruhs!!!!!!!

Before and after

Teach Me How to Lightroom - 03 - Star Wars Smoke Grenade Cosplay - Lightroom Tutorial

Download RAW file here: http://www.JamesYoungPhotography.com/raw-file-captain-phasma-smoke

Thank you all sooooooo much for the support.

Bro the vids are on point.......they have been very helpful.

I think you should also do a vid of you doing a portrait shoot.
-Making suggestions about gear, setups, etc
-a walkthrough of how a shoot for you goes from the start to finish, etc
-you already have the Lightroom series going, so that helps with the post-processing part

Your channel has a lot of potential, its been fun to watch. You have a lot of knowledge I think would be invaluable to everyone here...

Last edited:
Hey all, i'm new to photography...Is a Nikon D3300 a good entry level camera?

Its a good camera to start with. As others have said, get into learning about the camera and all that it can do. A lot of people will also tell you to invest in good glass. I'm a canon guy but if your on a budget get yourself the the 35mm & 50mm lenses to start.

Download RAW file here: http://www.JamesYoungPhotography.com/raw-file-captain-phasma-smoke

Repped. I've really enjoyed watching these videos and following along. I'm always learning something new and your production quality is awesome. I appreciate how you keep the videos short and to the point. Too many edit videos get sidetracked. 
Went to the Milwaukee Art Museum this past weekend, very cool place, looks like a spaceship on the outside and inside.

Been doing a lot of night shooting lately, wanted to switch it up, let me know opinions/criticisms yall

IG: @Norwaydre
I really like the 4th and 6th photos. Repped and followed on IG.

Here's some shots from this weekend. 

I also realized I never replied to the last photos I took, which were of the wooden staircase a few pages back. I was traveling in Australia and wasn't online much. All the architecture I saw was amazing. They do a good job of combining form and functionality. 

Peep the latest video bruhs!!!!!!!

Before and after

Bro the vids are on point.......they have been very helpful.

I think you should also do a vid of you doing a portrait shoot.
-Making suggestions about gear, setups, etc
-a walkthrough of how a shoot for you goes from the start to finish, etc
-you already have the Lightroom series going, so that helps with the post-processing part

Your channel has a lot of potential, its been fun to watch. You have a lot of knowledge I think would be invaluable to everyone here...

Thank you so much.

Honestly I want to do all of those things!!! My day will come brahs!!

Im actually in the process of decorating my house to talk about some gear videos.

I just wanna keep my ish down to earth and relevant to shooting :lol:

Too many gear heads on youtube that wanna talk so much about the technical stuff who have bunz shots or take pics of graphs :rofl:

@erdyawron
 Nice shots, that museum has been on my list for a while for places to visit. Anything else in the area worth shooting/checking out?

95% percent of my NY set completed. Still got about 10 shots left to edit or so and I'm at my local coffee shop the rest of the day to finish and get into other sets. I'll be posting soon!

I was only up there for a the museum and dinner however I def want to make a trip back to explore with the homies, shooting new places for me is super exciting. Just by driving around there's several bridges and overpasses that make for some awesome lines.

Repped. I've really enjoyed watching these videos and following along. I'm always learning something new and your production quality is awesome. I appreciate how you keep the videos short and to the point. Too many edit videos get sidetracked. 

Followed you back homie, thanks for the kind words!

erdyawron erdyawron Do you live in MKE? I grew up there... I def miss it at times.

No sir, live in Chicago.

This is just my opinion, so take whatever you think is useful. I'm happy you posted them, and I think this is the best way for people to learn. Critiques are really good to improve your photography. I'll say that if you are taking portraits, in my opinion, the most important thing is you need eye contact with the subject. Personally, I don't see any of it in any of the pictures. I'm just going to go over some things to fix on these photos, if you don't mind.
I feel like the background is a bit too busy. I like how the guy is somewhat isolated from the stuff along the floor/wall, but his pose is a bit awkward. It doesn't quite look like he is walking. I'd try to get a more natural walk pose (or have him actually walking). The background is also way to busy for my liking, but thats just me.
This one is nice, but, only after looking at it for a while, I figured out what he was looking at. I would try to figure out what your subject is for this photo. If it is the bird stuff, then focus on that, and blur him more. Otherwise, I feel it is just a little awkward.
-I can't see the dude's eyes because the hat is blocking the light from hitting his face.
-the tall buildings are coming out of the top of the girls head. The biggest thing for my portraits is the background..... the background placement makes or breaks the photo.
This one is better, but because the lady is wearing her had backwards (and you can't see anything else of her face), it looks like he is consoling a friend who is crying in his arms.
best one of the set
Again, I can't see his eyes, but the background placement is better.

I hope all that helps!

Thank you for your critique, I really appreciate it. Its somewhat difficult but I'm just trying to get better at shooting portraits it and sharpen my skills. One of my goals for the year is to start getting paid doing shoots, but i first gotta keep practicing. I would also like to set up a website soon.

Portraits will always be somewhat difficult cause you've gotta be more interactive with the people your shooting. You've gotta be a little demanding (in my opinion) so you can direct them but at the same time make them look how you want as well as making sure they still look natural. Even with friends, sure they'll be more understanding and more talkative to you. You still need to interact with them a little more than you think.

I think @dragicon
 had some good advice/tips for you and I totally agree with what he's saying. Eye contact is a key thing, it captures the mood of the person. Backgrounds don't wanna be too busy, but if they are lower the f-stop a little or blur it out in Photoshop. Overall, not bad for trying to get some practice in though

Thanks for your advice, I see where the areas where I can get better. Being interactive is probably the hardest thing for me but I plan on doing some research on youtube. Once again thank you for your input.

This is just my opinion, so take whatever you think is useful. I'm happy you posted them, and I think this is the best way for people to learn. Critiques are really good to improve your photography. I'll say that if you are taking portraits, in my opinion, the most important thing is you need eye contact with the subject. Personally, I don't see any of it in any of the pictures. I'm just going to go over some things to fix on these photos, if you don't mind.
I feel like the background is a bit too busy. I like how the guy is somewhat isolated from the stuff along the floor/wall, but his pose is a bit awkward. It doesn't quite look like he is walking. I'd try to get a more natural walk pose (or have him actually walking). The background is also way to busy for my liking, but thats just me.
This one is nice, but, only after looking at it for a while, I figured out what he was looking at. I would try to figure out what your subject is for this photo. If it is the bird stuff, then focus on that, and blur him more. Otherwise, I feel it is just a little awkward.
-I can't see the dude's eyes because the hat is blocking the light from hitting his face.
-the tall buildings are coming out of the top of the girls head. The biggest thing for my portraits is the background..... the background placement makes or breaks the photo.
This one is better, but because the lady is wearing her had backwards (and you can't see anything else of her face), it looks like he is consoling a friend who is crying in his arms.
best one of the set
Again, I can't see his eyes, but the background placement is better.

I hope all that helps!

Thank you for your critique, I really appreciate it. Its somewhat difficult but I'm just trying to get better at shooting portraits it and sharpen my skills. One of my goals for the year is to start getting paid doing shoots, but i first gotta keep practicing. I would also like to set up a website soon.

Portraits will always be somewhat difficult cause you've gotta be more interactive with the people your shooting. You've gotta be a little demanding (in my opinion) so you can direct them but at the same time make them look how you want as well as making sure they still look natural. Even with friends, sure they'll be more understanding and more talkative to you. You still need to interact with them a little more than you think.

I think @dragicon
 had some good advice/tips for you and I totally agree with what he's saying. Eye contact is a key thing, it captures the mood of the person. Backgrounds don't wanna be too busy, but if they are lower the f-stop a little or blur it out in Photoshop. Overall, not bad for trying to get some practice in though

Thanks for your advice, I see where the areas where I can get better. Being interactive is probably the hardest thing for me but I plan on doing some research on youtube. Once again thank you for your input.

just to kinda add to the above feedback, something to keep in mind is intentionality...what is it you want to communicate/show, this can help with being more aware with what is in the frame before hitting the shutter...i don't do much portraiture, but it probably isn't necessary to have eye contact or less busy backgrounds if that is what you are going for, things like the overall composition, the lighting, the posing, where you put the camera in relation to the subject, etc., all things that can come with practice/repetition and finding your style...

some from parading round the past weekend:

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

couple sneaker tings
views by a0, on Flickr

real friends by a0, on Flickr

skylines

a.lon3r is my IG. Im working with a d3300 too Wolf Reynolds. Still fresh to this but I try to snap what I think looks good whenever I get the chance. What lens are you using? I feel weird sometimes carrying my camera around too :lol:

just to kinda add to the above feedback, something to keep in mind is intentionality...what is it you want to communicate/show, this can help with being more aware with what is in the frame before hitting the shutter...i don't do much portraiture, but it probably isn't necessary to have eye contact or less busy backgrounds if that is what you are going for, things like the overall composition, the lighting, the posing, where you put the camera in relation to the subject, etc., all things that can come with practice/repetition and finding your style...

couple sneaker tings
views by a0, on Flickr

real friends by a0, on Flickr

skylines

Sick shots homie, went to hit the parade but didn't know it started exactly at 1PM...ended up missing the whole thing but still was able to capture some decent shots afterwards.

What part of the city are you from?

Watched a couple desaturation/contrast edit tutorials last night, applied it on this shot I took Sunday..seems like all social media cares about are moody pics/cityscapes/animals lol

Last edited:
Sick shots homie, went to hit the parade but didn't know it started exactly at 1PM...ended up missing the whole thing but still was able to capture some decent shots afterwards.

What part of the city are you from?

Watched a couple desaturation/contrast edit tutorials last night, applied it on this shot I took Sunday..seems like all social media cares about are moody pics/cityscapes/animals lol

i'm out in the souf suburbs...yea it is good to hang around early or late-get to catch some of the prep/clean up, rather than when it starts to crowd, i was kinda surprised there were so many people out...

i guess the social media thing depends on what you are interested in...i am consistently impressed with the level of savvy & manipulation of trends that people are able to figure out in order to get their stuff seen by more people...how someone figured out geo tagging photos in singapore, and how that info spread, was an easy pass to more likes/followers is low key amazing, makes you wonder what stuff we could be putting our minds towards if social media wasn't such a time-suck

Last edited:
I cant front....you guys in here are truly inspiring with the wealth of info i learned in a few days.  I really appreciate all the help and will contribute some pics once i cop my dslr.

Getting back into portraiture after doing nothing but photojournalism for a while. This was a dope shoot and excited to do more. What's everyone's instagram btw? Making mines over from scratch content-wise, so it's a new start for me. instagram.com/impactthemasses

#teamfollowback of course 
nthat.gif

Digging the edits!

Nice! This looks familiar, think I've seen it on those before & after drought comparison pictures on a news site. Is this a bridge in Cali?

skylines
Def going to need another trip to Chicago in the future!

working on getting my IG game up. It's @phitaugrapher

https://www.instagram.com/phitaugrapher/

Here's my edits of @DJYoung08  teach me how to lightroom raws
Being mainly a landscape shooter when I first got into portraits, none of my presets I created worked for portraits so I had to take a whole different approach in editing. I always try to make the skin tone look as much as it does in real life. You could see that the neon light is being reflected off her skin, but you could still recover her natural tone if you fix the reds/magentas by playing around the hue first if that make sense.

Back
Top Bottom