The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Can I achieve these looks in lightroom? Anyone know how?

You can 100% do this in light room. I am not sure if there is a tutorial floating around, but please show the picture that you are trying to do this with. I will attempt to replicate and send you the steps to get there.

Looking to get into professional photography, primarily weddings. Any recommendations for a starter cam? Was looking at a sony a6100 but they're backordered everywhere. After that the fuji xt30 but the reviews are kinda mixed and would like something a lil more equipped to shoot videos. Help a brotha out

I suggest you look into any of the Canon R5 or the R6, if you haven’t invested into a particular system yet like lenses, etc. A little more expensive than the cameras you’ve looked into but the return of investment especially in the kind of field/industry you want to get into is definitely no-brainer.

I’ve shot with both cameras in photojournalism (especially sports) and both have performed well based on my experience. The AF system on both cameras is bonkers. Sony does a phenomenal job in that department, too, but I just prefer the colors of the Canon.

JAY_5692.jpg

I suggest you look into any of the Canon R5 or the R6, if you haven’t invested into a particular system yet like lenses, etc. A little more expensive than the cameras you’ve looked into but the return of investment especially in the kind of field/industry you want to get into is definitely no-brainer.

I’ve shot with both cameras in photojournalism (especially sports) and both have performed well based on my experience. The AF system on both cameras is bonkers. Sony does a phenomenal job in that department, too, but I just prefer the colors of the Canon.
Appreciate the advice. Was looking for something sub 1k tho :lol:

Appreciate the advice. Was looking for something sub 1k tho :lol:
Are you shooting video or photos or both?

If it's for video, there are a lot of cameras you can get but even for a $1k price, you can be limited especially when you need various lenses. I will say though, you don't need much since most just want something for online content (the 5 min recap on Youtube/Vimeo) but if you want something a little more tech proof, get a camera that shoots 4K since most TVs are in 4K now. Also know that if you are doing video, you need the computer for it to process all these large files. I know handful of people that do this and it's hard to do things for a budget. The good thing though is you can get your money back fast if you shoot a lot of weddings. The prices you can ask for can be pretty high if you have a good portfolio.

Are you shooting video or photos or both?

If it's for video, there are a lot of cameras you can get but even for a $1k price, you can be limited especially when you need various lenses. I will say though, you don't need much since most just want something for online content (the 5 min recap on Youtube/Vimeo) but if you want something a little more tech proof, get a camera that shoots 4K since most TVs are in 4K now. Also know that if you are doing video, you need the computer for it to process all these large files. I know handful of people that do this and it's hard to do things for a budget. The good thing though is you can get your money back fast if you shoot a lot of weddings. The prices you can ask for can be pretty high if you have a good portfolio.
Pretty much all photos but I still wanted the option to take some short quality vids if I have the choice within the budget. You're right about the asking price, I've been looking at different photog quotes and they charge out the yin yang. I just wanted something reasonable to start with, build a portfolio and get some clients before I go all in and upgrade

Pretty much all photos but I still wanted the option to take some short quality vids if I have the choice within the budget. You're right about the asking price, I've been looking at different photog quotes and they charge out the yin yang. I just wanted something reasonable to start with, build a portfolio and get some clients before I go all in and upgrade

You can get Canon 5D Mark 3 used for cheap. Get some primes like a 50m (nifty fifty) and 85mm and I think you might be at the $1K mark. I would get a zoom too like a 70-200mm if you are doing weddings so you don't have to be in close during the ceremony. I do think flashes are needed for the night time shots too. I can also start shooting some engagement photos first and then move onto weddings when you feel more comfortable.

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-...pixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only-black.html

You can get Canon 5D Mark 3 used for cheap. Get some primes like a 50m (nifty fifty) and 85mm and I think you might be at the $1K mark. I would get a zoom too like a 70-200mm if you are doing weddings so you don't have to be in close during the ceremony. I do think flashes are needed for the night time shots too. I can also start shooting some engagement photos first and then move onto weddings when you feel more comfortable.

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-...pixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only-black.html

Take this advice.

Guess I’ll give this a shot. I’m the only Black educator at my school. I started a project to help give students who live in poverty the opportunity to have their own picture day.

I was given a camera for my project but it doesn’t have a lens.

Today only, donations for my projects are being matched! Please spread the word and if you have the means, please donate!

One is for a camera lens: https://www.donorschoose.org/project/pictures-for-kids-and-memory-making/6247432/

The other is for a photo quality printer: https://www.donorschoose.org/project/prints-with-love/6246732/

Thanks!

^ I’m happy you got the goals! It’s so sad that something like an online donation is even necessary in the first place. Schools need so much more funding all around… teachers and supplies. It’s an investment into the country.

That is really cool to see.

I wonder even if kids can just learn photography with a cell phone. Cell phones are way more accessible and you can learn a lot about photography and even editing on free apps in the app stores. It's sort of a new normal for kids to get into photography via selfies, pics of foods, etc so I am sure they can learn a lot.

^ I’m happy you got the goals! It’s so sad that something like an online donation is even necessary in the first place. Schools need so much more funding all around… teachers and supplies. It’s an investment into the country.
I am, too! Our funding - although not much to begin with - has been severely cut due to the pandemic. We’re loosing 2 teachers and a bunch of support staff and interventionist. We all heavily rely on the generosity of others to get through the year.

I am, too! Our funding - although not much to begin with - has been severely cut due to the pandemic. We’re loosing 2 teachers and a bunch of support staff and interventionist. We all heavily rely on the generosity of others to get through the year.
You guys hit your goal already though right? Well that’s what it said when I peeped

Back
Top Bottom