The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

This video is funny cause these point and shoots is what I started out with essentially. I guess if it goes in order, these things should make a comeback before DSLRs. And technically DSLRs haven't left yet so we'll see where things go in the next 5-10 years.

its been a long time since ive been in here, but i recently got one of these point and shoots because of this video. i havent shot anything in a few years and i wanted to get something to get me back into the game. photography is a hobby and although i do have a dslr, i prefer to shoot film for most things. i just cant afford to shoot and develop film often. the ccd sensor seem to have a better look which is closer to film (and yes nothing will ever beat actually shooting film) , but that could be placebo. who knows. regardless of what anyone thinks, i am enjoying this camera so far.

heres a shot i recently took. this is straight from the camera.. although i do like the jpegs i get out of the camera, i feel like i need something to make the photos pop a little more. how would you guys edit this photo? im rusty as i havent been shooting and usually im used to more flat photos from raw images or film scans that need to be tweaked so im looking for some input here. thanks in advanced

IMG_1133.JPG

I was thinking of getting one. How much knowledge and skill is required once you get them digitized, is required?
So i been messing around with this one for a week, so far i know how to change the resolution (dpi) of the image . Some things can be edited before you get the photos in the light room. I hvae trouble with making the scans bigger without having to zoom in with them.

All in all i would say its not too difficult ,just gotta give it time to learn how the software works. I should probably watch some yt vids on this to learn a bit more but its definitely doable to self teach.

So i been messing around with this one for a week, so far i know how to change the resolution (dpi) of the image . Some things can be edited before you get the photos in the light room. I hvae trouble with making the scans bigger without having to zoom in with them.

All in all i would say its not too difficult ,just gotta give it time to learn how the software works. I should probably watch some yt vids on this to learn a bit more but its definitely doable to self teach.
Thanks for the input! It is getting expensive developing + scanning my rolls. My local shop is excellent, but that comes with a price tag. Thinking of mailing them to The Dark Room since they are about half the cost.

Thanks for the input! It is getting expensive developing + scanning my rolls. My local shop is excellent, but that comes with a price tag. Thinking of mailing them to The Dark Room since they are about half the cost.
I never sent my stuff to them but im not opposed to it just to see how some turn out.

If you plan to stick to 35mm id get a plustek or a nikon cool scan, popular opinion say that flatbed scanning is best for 120 film . It’ll cost but on the other side it keeps the costs down

I never sent my stuff to them but im not opposed to it just to see how some turn out.

If you plan to stick to 35mm id get a plustek or a nikon cool scan, popular opinion say that flatbed scanning is best for 120 film . It’ll cost but on the other side it keeps the costs down
i started with a flatbed scanner. a friend had a plustek i borrowed. i saw the difference. flatbed scanning doesnt bother me if you shoot casually as you can always get better scans elsewhere when necessary, but plustek was the winner

Got back into film photography myself recently, wanting to bring my Nikon F2 instead of my usual heavy 6D/7D kit on my trip to Europe in the fall, feels like going back to spring training after years out the game :lol: Also picked up a few lenses/accessories for cheap, a Nikon Coolscan LS-50 + adapter.

First roll I shot on expired years ago, mostly surprised I ended up with a few good ones in there. Also experimented with higher speed rolls at a rave this week, excited to scan those since they're not expired at least, although it was dark as **** in there lol

From the expired roll:

IMG0727_001.jpg
IMG0727_007.jpg

IMG0727_018.jpg

Got back into film photography myself recently, wanting to bring my Nikon F2 instead of my usual heavy 6D/7D kit on my trip to Europe in the fall, feels like going back to spring training after years out the game :lol: Also picked up a few lenses/accessories for cheap, a Nikon Coolscan LS-50 + adapter.

First roll I shot on expired years ago, mostly surprised I ended up with a few good ones in there. Also experimented with higher speed rolls at a rave this week, excited to scan those since they're not expired at least, although it was dark as **** in there lol

From the expired roll:

IMG0727_001.jpg
IMG0727_007.jpg

IMG0727_018.jpg
Pics of the f2? I remember you could get those for 80 all day . Gotta be a serious film shooter to drop that dough on a cool scan, do you develop also?

Man.....never would have I thought I'd see the day that this thread is turning into a film thread.

its been a long time since ive been in here, but i recently got one of these point and shoots because of this video. i havent shot anything in a few years and i wanted to get something to get me back into the game. photography is a hobby and although i do have a dslr, i prefer to shoot film for most things. i just cant afford to shoot and develop film often. the ccd sensor seem to have a better look which is closer to film (and yes nothing will ever beat actually shooting film) , but that could be placebo. who knows. regardless of what anyone thinks, i am enjoying this camera so far.

heres a shot i recently took. this is straight from the camera.. although i do like the jpegs i get out of the camera, i feel like i need something to make the photos pop a little more. how would you guys edit this photo? im rusty as i havent been shooting and usually im used to more flat photos from raw images or film scans that need to be tweaked so im looking for some input here. thanks in advanced

IMG_1133.JPG

That is kind of a subjective question which is what makes digital editing so unique to the person. For that image and the way I edit, I would emphasize on the graffiti which seems to be the darker area compared to the foreground and background. I would create a layer mask and darken out the foreground and background a bit and then brighten the graffiti with the separate exposure. If you are lazy, brighten the photo and then add a vignette to it.

Man...I went to another film shop cause the one I go to was closing at a certain time. Their price was $28 for the film being developed and then scanned for simple Jpegs when I normally spend $18 for the same thing.

Nice stuff. I recently went to Disneyland with my kid. Told myself I would shoot some rolls of film there with a point and shoot to mimic photos that I had as a kid there. Man that was tough. Just not as complimentary than say shooting with your iPhone. I brought 3 rolls of film and only managed to shoot 1 roll.

Posted my shots from last week's rave on Insta:

Pics of the f2? I remember you could get those for 80 all day . Gotta be a serious film shooter to drop that dough on a cool scan, do you develop also?

I used to develop in college when I had free access to the photo lab on campus, but as much as I enjoyed getting high off fixer, I don't have the amount of space I'd need to do it :lol: so I'm just gonna stick to drop offs locally, plenty of spots with good prices in the city, even just found a collective in Brooklyn that develops for like $4 a roll. The scanner wasn't really expensive, about the same as another pair of kicks for me haha. The F2 is a hand me down from my stepdad, back when I was shooting film in college.

PXL_20220810_232447323.jpg

Nice stuff. I recently went to Disneyland with my kid. Told myself I would shoot some rolls of film there with a point and shoot to mimic photos that I had as a kid there. Man that was tough. Just not as complimentary than say shooting with your iPhone. I brought 3 rolls of film and only managed to shoot 1 roll.

I actually had a similar idea! I still have the point and shoot my parents used on our family trips when I was a kid, and I'm sure I'll be back at Disney within the next six months

Man.....never would have I thought I'd see the day that this thread is turning into a film thread.

Man...I went to another film shop cause the one I go to was closing at a certain time. Their price was $28 for the film being developed and then scanned for simple Jpegs when I normally spend $18 for the same thing.
Yea the film wave is pretty crazy. Hell my cousin photographer convinced me to get one.

The shop I go to here in Portland charges 6.50 to develop then l think like 15.50 to scan so like 22. Thinking of getting a scanner to save a bit since I have invested in rolls and a camera. My fam in the Bay said Dark Room is good though. And only 12 for develop and scan. I still go back home to the bay frequently so may go that route.

Posted my shots from last week's rave on Insta:

I used to develop in college when I had free access to the photo lab on campus, but as much as I enjoyed getting high off fixer, I don't have the amount of space I'd need to do it :lol: so I'm just gonna stick to drop offs locally, plenty of spots with good prices in the city, even just found a collective in Brooklyn that develops for like $4 a roll. The scanner wasn't really expensive, about the same as another pair of kicks for me haha. The F2 is a hand me down from my stepdad, back when I was shooting film in college.

PXL_20220810_232447323.jpg

I actually had a similar idea! I still have the point and shoot my parents used on our family trips when I was a kid, and I'm sure I'll be back at Disney within the next six months

Yo, i liked your camera so much i went ahead and grabbed one myself . Lil heavier than my FE’s and feels well built as them too. I love the shutter button on this one ,its crispy and loud.
I will admit my dumbass broke the damn button that releases the viewfinder seconds after i got it out the box smh

CF4AC9AC-1069-44D4-9BC0-CA07A0EDF351.jpeg

Yo, i liked your camera so much i went ahead and grabbed one myself . Lil heavier than my FE’s and feels well built as them too. I love the shutter button on this one ,its crispy and loud.
I will admit my dumbass broke the damn button that releases the viewfinder seconds after i got it out the box smh

CF4AC9AC-1069-44D4-9BC0-CA07A0EDF351.jpeg

That's awesome! Looks to be in way better condition than mine that's for sure haha. Just picked up an F3 recently as well, it's in fairly bad shape since I got it for a steal, but I'm trying to fix it a bit and get it in working order, should be a fun process.

For those that havE experience with Canon 24-70L and 24-70L II ...

How much better is II compared to the original one?

For those that havE experience with Canon 24-70L and 24-70L II ...

How much better is II compared to the original one?
I’ve used both lens for a day. The ver ii is just sharper and at f/2.8 and at the corners too. I think the issue has always been the price with the version 2. If you are a pixel peeper and need the ultimate lens, then go with the version 2. If you aren't that crazy into clarity and just need a workhorse of a lens at a good price, then go with version 1.

For me, I didn't get either or and just stuck it out with the 24mm and 50mm primes but if I can do it all over again, I would get the 24-70 in a heart beat. It just gives me more range and would even give me the 35mm focal length that I like the most.

I’ve used both lens for a day. The ver ii is just sharper and at f/2.8 and at the corners too. I think the issue has always been the price with the version 2. If you are a pixel peeper and need the ultimate lens, then go with the version 2. If you aren't that crazy into clarity and just need a workhorse of a lens at a good price, then go with version 1.

For me, I didn't get either or and just stuck it out with the 24mm and 50mm primes but if I can do it all over again, I would get the 24-70 in a heart beat. It just gives me more range and would even give me the 35mm focal length that I like the most.
Yeah, I just want to consolidate lenses .... trying to lighten the load! I figure I can eliminate thr 16-35 and 24-105 for the 24-70L. Then get me a lighyweight Carbon fiber and call it a day. Although it be only 3/4 pounds if that anything helps right now.

I asked this in the Apple thread but it was overshadowed by all the 14 talk.

Anyone has experience with prime cloud storage? Looking to dump my phone photos there and free up a lot of space.

Back
Top Bottom