The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

So good. How’d you get you way up be able to shoot on the sidelines? You shoot for a media company?

Thanks man! Yes, with the NFL you have to be affiliated with some type of media company. It can vary a little from market to market, but overall, shooting for a wire service, local media (tv and print), or even sports card company is the main way to get in and approved if you’re not affiliated with the teams or NFL.

What's a good beginner camera? I've been interested in shooting as a creative outlet.

Randomly took this while walking home
-vu2t1i.jpg

What's a good beginner camera? I've been interested in shooting as a creative outlet.

Randomly took this while walking home
-vu2t1i.jpg

For landscape type stuff like this, buildings etc get a full frame camera with a wide angle lens, something like a 16-35mm. 16 is pretty wide, and versatile cause you can use it at 35mm and get good shots. A Canon 6D is ancient but still can produce really good pics, its what I had. Ex photos. Quality is bleh cause I think its a compressed file, and I dont think the first shot is edited. Shot with a Canon 6D and a 16-35mm f/4. Id use it more but the lens is broken and I been too cheap to fix/replace it. It wont focus or change focal lengths smh.

26368C39-758A-4BC6-B106-E64B0F47A83D_1_201_a.jpeg

F9889C30-027F-42E2-BF65-BF0CAA5BF94D_1_201_a.jpeg

66A4073A-B213-446A-89ED-38EA24129821_1_201_a.jpeg

The one you used to get this shot. Practice technique and lighting then worry about gear.

Kinda true, best camera is the one you have on hand. Phones nowadays can take seriously good photos, but a quality from a DSLR is still noticeably different, especially if you go and try to use wide mode on an iphone vs a proper wide lens on a full frame camera. The detail is immensely different. Post editing (Lightroom) shrinks that gap a bit though.

I've answered this question so much but it depends on also what you want to shoot and just personal preferences. Some shooters need the better auto focus, some need the higher mega pixels, some need the compactness that you get out of a mirrorless and some need to buy a body due to the specific lens that only that camera brand offers. It just really all depends.

I think if I was to do it all over again as a beginner, I would get a full frame with a 24-70mm f2.8. That covers you both wide and long. Eventually if I need to shoot quicker, I would get a 35mm prime. The rest I would invest in getting at tripod, batteries and a bag.

Last week I picked up the Tamron 17 - 70 (FF 25.5 - 105) f2.8 for my A7RIII. I'm in love with the focal length... options, options, options. I've been using the 85 - 105 the most, it is stupid good.

Shot 13 rolls of film over the last three weeks in Europe, excited to get them developed next week, but I know that **** won't be cheap :lol: First time dealing with getting hand checks for film at various airports, way easier than I thought.

Thanks man! Yes, with the NFL you have to be affiliated with some type of media company. It can vary a little from market to market, but overall, shooting for a wire service, local media (tv and print), or even sports card company is the main way to get in and approved if you’re not affiliated with the teams or NFL.
Any tips on getting a gig? Been wanting to do an NFL or NCAA game for a long time

Any tips on getting a gig? Been wanting to do an NFL or NCAA game for a long time

Great stuff on your insta! Honestly, for me....I just "cold" called/emailed every media outlet locally I could think of with my portfolio and my honest intention and goal of covering Jags game.

You can also keep an eye on sites like Teamwork Online because a lot of teams/schools hire seasonal photographers!

With these kinda things its literally about who you know unless you have a huge social following, even then the friends of friends gonna get these type of gigs first.

So like most of my photography, I keep bouncing from one thing to another. I shot like 3 rolls on a trip to Yosemite and got my scans back and all were messed up which I have like no idea why. I did use a tripod with my RB67 with a release cable but other than that, I thought I shot it pretty straight forward and failed somehow.

Anyways...got back to digital and bought a new strobe to add to my other one. Got a chance to do some skateboard photography for some old school pros last week. Pretty hyped on the outcome.

Gino+Stix+5.jpg

Gino+Stix+17.jpg

Gino+Stix+4.jpg

Gino+Stix+8.jpg

Finally back to owning a camera. Used to have a Fuji X100T but bought a XT3 with a 23mm and 50mm prime.

FedEx better come through and deliver today smh. Tracking says deliver is by end of today, but the tracking still says in transit. Wtf.

Finally back to owning a camera. Used to have a Fuji X100T but bought a XT3 with a 23mm and 50mm prime.

FedEx better come through and deliver today smh. Tracking says deliver is by end of today, but the tracking still says in transit. Wtf.
Got my AirPods Pro Gen 2 stolen by Amazon, so I hope ur camera comes thru, smfh :smh:

70-200mm f/4 is solid and cheap. I have the f/2.8 and honestly for sports, you never want to shoot at that aperture. I’d be in the f5.6 range or higher just to make sure everything is in focus. Bokeh is great at f/4 at the long end.

Back
Top Bottom