The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

That picture is great - what really sets it off for me is the cab that is parked with the words

"Our People. Our Community"

It really compliments the picture!

Anyways, just one of those useless facts - years ago the some polititian was trying to tax the petty beggers because it was estimated that these"bumbs" make and annual income of 50K and more a year ..

Some of my PANO's when I started - just to contribute to the thread!

4190385251_b38b1f314c_b.jpg

4190423733_f5c1d02df3_b.jpg

4191136672_f904c58cb3_b.jpg

4190380733_a0b7831b3d_b.jpg

4191139662_a08b4426df_b.jpg

4190383049_73a6f20af2_b.jpg

HaVoK

can someone give me tip on shooting at night?, I just copped a xsi not so long ago

pictures I took in miami came out horrible
ohwell.gif

the best advice anyone can give you about night photography is start by getting a tripod, if you don't already have one. Next you wanna get comfortablewith shooting at very slow shutter speeds, 1 second or slower...this idea applies for landscape night photography. If you wanna do portraits is a bit trickieand you will need a flash unit. Also stay away from high ISOs regardless what anyone says, specially with a rebel....you will not be hAppy with the amount ofnoise the photo will have....slow shutter speeds and a tripod is key, also stay at f/7.0 or higher for greater detail.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

can someone give me tip on shooting at night?, I just copped a xsi not so long ago

ohwell.gif

high iso. bigger aperture (the smaller the number) = faster shutter speed in lower light conditions.

takes practice, practice and more practice.

miami is so much fun for night shooting.. its my playground at night!
pimp.gif

3540189430_88c7c3b8cd_b.jpg

3537752731_b8e9d8a565_b.jpg

4091477457_b05cdd5ab4_b.jpg

4091357457_208340b5ec_b.jpg

3540374125_f35db97357_b.jpg

3560321217_1f702d9c45_b.jpg

3728893697_36e1aab254_b.jpg

4092183776_3a0f97f98d_b.jpg

3517220731_f480eda89c_b.jpg

3518780367_af98a5977b_b.jpg

3562790611_da3c57c37f_b.jpg

4091319203_f9ed9b9c74_b.jpg

no flash night photography = my favesss

JoseBronx wrote:

ohwell.gif

1. Good tripod
2. Bigger aperture (f/1.2 - f/2.
glasses.gif
should help some
3. Higher ISO (pictures might become to noisy for your taste)
4. IS lens to compensate for the low shutter speed
5. Shoot Manual/RAW

These are some of the stuff you should be reading or experimenting with ...

ksteezy wrote:
the best advice anyone can give you about night photography is start by getting a tripod, if you don't already have one. Next you wanna get comfortable with shooting at very slow shutter speeds, 1 second or slower...this idea applies for landscape night photography. If you wanna do portraits is a bit trickie and you will need a flash unit. Also stay away from high ISOs regardless what anyone says, specially with a rebel....you will not be hAppy with the amount of noise the photo will have....slow shutter speeds and a tripod is key, also stay at f/7.0 or higher for greater detail.
This apply only if you are trying to shoot landscapes (bldgs - bridges - landmarks - etc) disregard this if you are just shooting people orsubjects as main and you dont mind bokeh (bg blurr)

On a Canon XSi you shouldnt go over 400 ISO after that you will see noise however if you don't mind the noise bump it up to 800 MAX after that you willstart seeing bonding and that's not good .. Some people actually love the noise or grainy look ....

For portraits you do not need a flash .. you just need a bigger aperture and ambient light .. however if is to dim then yes you need a flash prefer with bounceor with a diffuser .. harsh flash creates harsh and undesirable shadows .. I can continue I just wanted to clear and distinguish some of the stuff mentionedabove ...

a great tip for auto focusing in lower light conditions is by using the focus light (the red beam) on an external flash, without shooting the flash. you canchange this option in your camera settings for the flash, enable/disable flash fire. this is a great tool for me because im usually shooting subjects that aremoving (people cars).. so the AF assist works lovely with AF lenses.

I apologize you DONOT need a flash for night portrait, is a give or take situation and it all depends on your taste, if you enjoy the grainy look then playaround with your ISO, I personally don't specially in night photography since the noise manifests itself much more in the darker areas, if you don mind itthen this is much easier to adjust to, if you do mind the noise then get a flash unit with a good diffuser, use the second curtain synch feature on your unitand this will freeze your subject while it gives you the ability to create some nice light trails in the background, gives the image a sense of motion....thistechnique takes a hell of alot of practice and patience, Im still trying to get the hang of it. Check some groups on flickr.

ksteezy wrote:
I apologize you DONOT need a flash for night portrait, is a give or take situation and it all depends on your taste, if you enjoy the grainy look then play around with your ISO, I personally don't specially in night photography since the noise manifests itself much more in the darker areas
Just cause you shoot at night it doesnt mean that you have to bump your ISO

Like mentioned above - it depends on the situation .. If you are walking down a place that is well lighted then there should be sufficient ambient light foryou to stay relativity low 400 or below ISO and a good manageable shutter speed ... If you have time to composite tell your subject to move around or what notthen you dont necessarily need to bump your ISO you just need to maximize the light you working with to give you the best shutter speed ... of course if youhave money and you can afford some lenses that are fix apertures like 1.2 - 2 then you have a better shoot of not having to even play with your ISO also if youcan get IS lens that also should help you allot ..

After all if you are shooting manual you need to have a good understanding of shutter/aperture/ISO/WB - but if you are shooting Manual .. it's a crap shotas the Camera is deciding for you - you might not need a slower shutter or a bigger aperture or what not - but the camera is taking the reading from an overallarea and giving you what it think it needs to be properly expose or you can be at spot metering and focusing on something dark/light and you just mess up thephoto ..

Reading is key man ...

What does the "Our People." picture ... what does his sign say?
I believe his signs say that he got kicked out where he used to play and they took his stuff to include a picture and he is band from playing there againand that he wants a turkey

hard to read

Congrats man, what did you get? Edit*** Neverminnnnddd....LOL...slowass loading time on my iPhone...congrats on the MW2!!. You got a lensecap for Xmas bro??...:tongue:

Originally Posted by RiKaN HaVoK

What does the "Our People." picture ... what does his sign say?

I believe his signs say that he got kicked out where he used to play and they took his stuff to include a picture and he is band from playing there again and that he wants a turkey

hard to read

I work downtown so if he is near there and I see him, I am seriously going to talk to the guy and find out what happened.

^ Nice. I think it's a bit bright, but it has a nice vibe. Reminds me of Pats work, especially since it's and RSX.

Few old shots...

3717941911_2b845c98f9.jpg
3711413981_c27cfddf8e.jpg

3712083828_607f4233f0.jpg
3711918654_d726b8ce21.jpg

3711373822_86c7ca1e47.jpg
3710168035_f96c301cb5.jpg

3711378971_0232766b03.jpg

3711354317_0f214d04e2.jpg

3711413613_1a7a38244e.jpg

hey I thought we was saving all the pictures till like the 24th or something ... lol ... anyways .. those are nice .. where they from?

Back
Top Bottom