The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by creamOfDacrops

I'm trying to decide between a NikonD3000 & a Canon XS as a beginner DSLR. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

The Nikon D3000 is a newer, better sensor. The Canon XS is a little dated, and is a closer equivalent to the Nikon D40x. Although I shoot Canon, for a first DSLR and learning to shoot I would recommend the Nikon D3000 because the user interface is easier to use.

Originally Posted by dream5hift

I can't decide whether I want a Nikon D90 or Canon 40D. I want to upgrade from my D40 now.

If you plan on investing in lenses in the future, go Canon. The 40D and D90 are pretty similar bodies, although the 40D is supposedly faster (better for sports). The 60D is set to release later this year, so if you're gonna upgrade to Canon then wait for a while because the 40D & 50D prices will drop pretty seriously.

Originally Posted by Kelseyrsp

Bana, your pics are inspirational.  shouts!
thanks...
embarassed.gif
embarassed.gif
i like your photos too!

a few more, just random bs with friends

4334141070_a9a0d6a824.jpg

4334265194_8dcd8b9909.jpg

4334132228_010077e303.jpg

4333673916_258cba6d4b.jpg

4334134340_4d2bd33ccd.jpg

4333000293_78c5d7196b.jpg

Originally Posted by tecca nena

So im trying to take a photo with a long shutter speed so that everything moving is a blurr... but during the day. all my photos keep getting over exposed tho, is it even possible>?

Drop your iso to the very lowest it can go. Stop down your aperture to minimize the amount of light that goes through the lens.  If all else fails slap on a couple neutral density filters, they're like sunglasses for your lens.[h1]
[/h1]

I need a little help folks!

I have a Nikon D5000, and I'm in the market for a new lens. I am not a lens snob, but I do want a prosumer product. Right now the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is tops on my list, but I've seen mixed reviews on a few sites. So my real question is, what, in your opinion, would be the best option for me under $800?

I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Rebel T2i was announced. it has full manual video control... I want it.
embarassed.gif
Oh well.

Dope Santi. Glad you supporting the good boys at Fatlace.

And is this T2i a midrange camera competing with the D90? I don't get why they would make another one so fast. And what do you mean manual controls? I thought all video on DSLRs had manual controls?

Oh...and any news on Nikon updates?

It's not a replacement for the T1i, they're keeping that on the market also.

Not all DSLRs have full manual control. Only the 7D, 5D2, 1D mk4 have FULL manual control. (Aperture, shutter, ISO, etc.) On the T1i I can only mess with Exposure compensation, everything else the camera sets automatically which sucks. The T2i also has Full HD 1080p @ 30fps, 24fps, and 720p @ 60fps which is awesome. Not even the 5D mk2 has 720p @ 60fps.

oh and Fatlace FTW! haha

I'm hearing rumors of a Canon 5d mk3 by years end. "The 5D Mark III would get the full frame and 7D autofocus system and a better featureset for video."
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by LoveForTheAir23

I'm hearing rumors of a Canon 5d mk3 by years end. "The 5D Mark III would get the full frame and 7D autofocus system and a better featureset for video."
embarassed.gif

Seems about right. The Mark 2 will be about a 2 years old by then. I hope when they replace it that the new camera will not go up in price and that the Mark 2 will just drop down to about a little over $2000. Wishful thinking though.

Nikon needs to come out with a Mark2 equivalent.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

D700x?
nerd.gif
Probably more of the upcoming 5d3 equivalent.

And is this T2i a midrange camera competing with the D90? I don't getwhy they would make another one so fast.
I don't think so at all. I think the 40D is a more similar competitor, and we all know that Canon is ahead of the game compared to Nikon. The 60D is supposed to debut later this year. Generally, instead of matching a product, Canon chooses the gaps in between. For example: Nikon D5000 < CanonT1i < Nikon D90 < Canon 40D/50D = Nikon D300s < Canon 7D < Canon 5d2 = Nikon D700 (kinda).

The Canon 5d2 and the Nikon D700 are very similar in terms of IQ, but the D700 is notably faster, while the 5d2s low-light, high-ISO images are unparalleled, and even compared to the Nikon D3x and Canon 1Ds3.

ok so i am interested in getting a Canon G9/G10/G11. i was using the G10 the other day and i really liked it but i need your opinions/thoughts/critiques/comparions etc.. on all 3 of them

which one would you rather use/is better?
i heard that the G9 is better than the G10 but idk why
and one time at a store, my friend pulled out his G9 and the dude offered him a pair of Coralines for his camera (before the movie came out so the shoes were pretty pricey), and my boy actually followed through with the trade after like 1hr and 30mins of negotiation and pressure
laugh.gif

so can i get some good comparisons between the 3 cameras? (G9/G10/G11) thanks

The t2i looks cool. I really want to try video, but I don't want to "downgrade" my 40D to a rebel and can't afford 7d/5dII/1DmkIV. I think I'll stick with my 40D and save up for a 5D mkIII (hopefully by then I'll have some money to spend on it lol).

A few randoms..

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

The t2i looks cool. I really want to try video, but I don't want to "downgrade" my 40D to a rebel and can't afford 7d/5dII/1DmkIV. I think I'll stick with my 40D and save up for a 5D mkIII (hopefully by then I'll have some money to spend on it lol).
I vote wait until the 5d3 comes out and buy a 5d2 when the prices drop to 7D prices. I'm gonna wait for the 1DsIV, sell the 1DsII, and upgrade to a 1DsIII. After getting a 1D series body, I don't know if I could ever go back to a body+grip.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

D700x?
nerd.gif
Probably more of the upcoming 5d3 equivalent.

And is this T2i a midrange camera competing with the D90? I don't get
why they would make another one so fast.
I don't think so at all. I think the 40D is a more similar competitor, and we all know that Canon is ahead of the game compared to Nikon. The 60D is supposed to debut later this year. Generally, instead of matching a product, Canon chooses the gaps in between. For example: Nikon D5000 < CanonT1i < Nikon D90 < Canon 40D/50D = Nikon D300s < Canon 7D < Canon 5d2 = Nikon D700 (kinda).

The Canon 5d2 and the Nikon D700 are very similar in terms of IQ, but the D700 is notably faster, while the 5d2s low-light, high-ISO images are unparalleled, and even compared to the Nikon D3x and Canon 1Ds3.

If that so called D700x goes for that much, Nikon will mess up yet again cause I would rather just get the Mark 2 instead. I hope they announce some decent stuff today.

If that so called D700x goes for that much, Nikon will mess up yet again cause I would rather just get the Mark 2 instead. I hope they announce some decent stuff today.

Yeah, they can't seriously expect to release their non-flagship camera for only $700 less than the Canon 1DIV. I'll be shocked if they actually plan to sell at that price.

hmm... the 5DII + the 7D's autofocus system.

I may have to upgrade... (i need AF due to poor eyesight, would be incredibly helpful)

Back
Top Bottom