The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by ReMarqable23

Did my first photoshoot today. C&C's are welcomed.
Could have been posed better, I find that the hardest thing to do in photoshoots is posing your models
also better lighting perhaps? what was your setup. 

Haven't posted in this thread in a long time. Past few days and what not.

5420341089_051363a846_o.jpg

5420931810_6bb95055e0_o.jpg

5414869667_7dcb8a016d_o.jpg

5415479776_1f6c7b6ffe_o.jpg

5409157543_9a7caf9ea6_o.jpg

5409769998_3c20c26278_o.jpg

www.dunksrnice.net
www.flickr.com/dunksrnice

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Been a while, ladies and gentleman.

For an unconventional ad campaign I'm working on.

5422233419_07b9fb8c7e_b.jpg
Beautiful photo.  What was your set-up...Camera, lens, ring flash...anything else?

does anyone know how to disable the auto edit thing at LR3.. cause when i usually import RAW files in it and click develop, it automatically changes the contrast, exposure, etc..
this only happens when i import RAW and not jpeg
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by HAZE323

Originally Posted by Dunks r nice

HAZE323 - Depends on your budget, but yeah thats a good entry dslr.

whats better a d1000 or d60?
D3100. D60 is an older model. The D40x is about as old and (I think) a better camera. That was my first camera.
But here's the deal-- 

Nikon makes AWESOME cameras. Canon makes AWESOME cameras.

Depending on how deep you wanna take this and how much money you wanna spend on photography, Canon has the (kind of arguably) better lens line-up at a lower cost, unless you're looking for zoom lenses for birding and nature photography.

I think your best bet right now is a T1i or a T2i for a beginner, but that's just me. I was originally a Nikon guy, then when I went to purchase my current camera I made the switch.

If you wanna buy used, a 20D or a 30D are awesome Canon cameras too, although if you're purchasing a camera that old you should just grab a D40x and be happy with it. I still carry mine to every shoot I do.

And for SgtPeppers, 175 is a great deal. Congratulations. That's a

Originally Posted by SgtPeppers12

got my first dslr on friday 175 bucks for the body lens and bag good deal?

I will post some of my first pictures that turn out.
$175!?  where can i find a deal similar to that? i'm going to be checking craigslist daily
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by phaze1123

Been a while, ladies and gentleman.

For an unconventional ad campaign I'm working on.
Beautiful photo.  What was your set-up...Camera, lens, ring flash...anything else?

Thanks, man. 
Canon 1Ds Mark II

50mm f/1.8

AB800 camera right, 1/8 power

SB600 mounted, bounce off ceiling

Standard studio lamp camera left 

(The other AB800 has disappeared from the studio. I think a professor has it.)

The ring flash was created in PP. The reflection of the AB800 in the right eye with the studio lamp in the left

wasn't accomplishing the look that the campaign needs-- too inconsistent and not gentle/"mysterious" enough.

Simply created with a white circle + Gaussian blur + 40% opacity after removing the original reflections in the eyes.

Post processing consisted of:

B/W conversion

Color correction

High Pass sharpening at 20% opacity x 2 (I think?)

And making the top half of the background black 

(I shot against black velvet, but for this shot I was standing on a chair and the top half wasn't completely black.)

Guy was super easy to work with. One of those "You're the photographer, you do your thing and just tell me what I need to do," situations. Great guy.

Just got this camera. Not sure how good it is. Just need it for my sons basketball games and family outings and things. Any help?

What do you guys suggest for a camera to do video with. I want the capability to do photography but mostly will use it for video.
I dont know much about dslr's been looking at the 7d for some time but any other suggest are appreciated.
Budget is about 1500-2000

Anyone here take pictures in clubs? What's a good lens and external flash combo? I'm going to a rave and I want to take pics
smile.gif

Treb2k5:

You have a really good start! Definitely time for a DSLR. Your recognition of proper exposure looks really good.
Some things to focus on: (no pun intended)

• Composition: In a lot of those photos, the edges of your subjects are out of the frame, like the bottom of the tire
on the last photo.

• Color correction: I personally think photos look better with a more natural WB and contrast.

You really do have a good grasp on photography. Don't be afraid to buy a camera above the entry-level ones
since you already seem to know what you're doing. I'm afraid if you just grab the 3100 you'll shoot with it for
6 months, realize you're looking for more, and then have to sell it and buy something better. A Canon 40D
or Nikon D300s wouldn't be a bad place to start.

desolation1:

Depending on the camera, you'll definitely want a wide angle, but the kit lens actually isn't a bad lens for that
if you have an external flash. As for the flash, you can go for the big boy and get a 580EXII/SB900 (Canon/Nikon)
OR you can grab a Sunpak flash that just has a rotating head and manual settings and save a couple hundred bucks.
I went the latter route, personally.

Originally Posted by pointgod24

Just got this camera. Not sure how good it is. Just need it for my sons basketball games and family outings and things. Any help?
the coolpix DEF takes nice pics, i was going to grab one but I copped a entry level dslr fujifilm finepix.........

hoping to get a real DSLR one day.

Treb2k5:

You have a really good start! Definitely time for a DSLR. Your recognition of proper exposure looks really good.
Some things to focus on: (no pun intended)

• Composition: In a lot of those photos, the edges of your subjects are out of the frame, like the bottom of the tire
on the last photo.

• Color correction: I personally think photos look better with a more natural WB and contrast.

You really do have a good grasp on photography. Don't be afraid to buy a camera above the entry-level ones
since you already seem to know what you're doing. I'm afraid if you just grab the 3100 you'll shoot with it for
6 months, realize you're looking for more, and then have to sell it and buy something better. A Canon 40D
or Nikon D300s wouldn't be a bad place to start.
Thanks for the positive feedback & constructive criticism.

I don't think I'd want to spend that much money on a camera & not use all of the features.

I'll start off with the D3100, learn more, & improve my weaknesses.

Then, If I feel comfortable enough, move on to something w/ more features & options that I'll use.

Here's a logo that I came up with for my photography (made by my cousin):

Tre' B. Photography.
The 3 B's are my brother initials (Bryen Bradley Brown). He was killed on August 4th, 2010 in a car accident.

He was going to name his production company 3B Ent (3B = Bryen B. Brown). Since he never got the chance to create it, I'm combining the two.

So when they see me, they see my brother. Keeping his name alive.

Tre' B. Photography by Tre' The Truth, on Flickr

happy.gif

Originally Posted by supra97RX7

Originally Posted by SgtPeppers12

got my first dslr on friday 175 bucks for the body lens and bag good deal?

I will post some of my first pictures that turn out.
$175!?  where can i find a deal similar to that? i'm going to be checking craigslist daily
nerd.gif
yeah he wanted 250 for it so i offered at 150 and he just said 175 and its a deal I was pretty excited just check the electronics sections and the photo sections daily

Originally Posted by solemunchies

^the T1i's crop sensor will not give the full fisheye effect as opposed to full frame or even midcrop sensors.

Can someone explain this to me? Not really understanding crop sensors and such? And which camera bodies have what?

Originally Posted by Windows Apple

Originally Posted by solemunchies

^the T1i's crop sensor will not give the full fisheye effect as opposed to full frame or even midcrop sensors.

Can someone explain this to me? Not really understanding crop sensors and such? And which camera bodies have what?
Well, just think of what a cropped photo is, like when you crop your photo on Facebook.  The crop factor on the t1i is 1.6x, so say you wanted to get a 11mm fish eye lens.  Attach that to a t1i and you actually get the effect of an 18mm lens (because 1.6 x 11 is about 18).  What solemunchies is trying to say is that a full frame camera, like the 5d mkII, with a 11mm fish eye would yield the best result because the pictures you take aren't cropped.
Field-of-View-Crop-Factor.gif

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Originally Posted by pointgod24

the coolpix DEF takes nice pics, i was going to grab one but I copped a entry level dslr fujifilm finepix.........

hoping to get a real DSLR one day.

I was thinking of getting the p100 instead but not sure if I needed the extra features. Just need something that will take good pictures of someone moving.

As of right now, I have a Canon XSI, but I'd like to upgrade to a camera with video capabilities. Also, as stated above, with the crop body and such, I have a tamron lens, I think 17-50 2.8, and it was said that it is a wide angle lens, but I just don't see much difference. What would be a good camera body that would work well with the lens and has video?

Back
Top Bottom