The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

As of right now, I have a Canon XSI, but I'd like to upgrade to a camera with video capabilities. Also, as stated above, with the crop body and such, I have a tamron lens, I think 17-50 2.8, and it was said that it is a wide angle lens, but I just don't see much difference. What would be a good camera body that would work well with the lens and has video?
If you want video, the t2i is a low budget choice but keep in mind that the video is fully automatic, meaning you can't adjust shutter/aperture/iso in video mode (i think).  The cheapest model that will get you full manual control of video is the 60d, but the body alone is about $1000.  The 60d has the swivel screen which is good for taking videos.  The 60d and t2i have a crop factor of 1.6, so if you want a full frame and money is not an issue, go with a 5d mkII, but keep in mind that the 5d would be a massive upgrade and it costs about $2500.  or you could go with the 1d mkIV, which has a 1.3 crop factor, but still very expensive...  if money is an issue, stick with the 1.6 crop factor

Originally Posted by pointgod24

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Just got this camera. Not sure how good it is. Just need it for my sons basketball games and family outings and things. Any help?
I was thinking of getting the p100 instead but not sure if I needed the extra features. Just need something that will take good pictures of someone moving.
Here's a small 1 minute video I shot, at a local high school basketball game, with my Nikon Coolpix P100.

Hope this helps.

check the dunk at the end...

pimp.gif

nikeairsncrspt: dope portrait shot
remarqable: tech wise, i think the shot could be a bit more in focus. maybe pshop some of the wrinkles out of her dress

t3i announced? nice. how much do you guys think the t1i/t2i will drop in price? if at all?

did everyone drop out of their 365? i'm determined to finish.

5388651929_98ec295de5_z.jpg

5394819216_0528a2cc00_z.jpg

5400051566_a9c9745ce9_z.jpg

^ Warren...nice pics as usual.

My youngest:

5D / 24-70L / 430EX

My oldest:

5D / 16-35L / 430EX

Cris.

Originally Posted by HAZE323

what a good starter camera? i was thinking a nikon d3100 ?is that good?

Its a great beginner camera! Specs wise its amazing. 
Check out slick deals right now for a great deal

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2644143

desoIation1 wrote:
Anyone here take pictures in clubs? What's a good lens and external flash combo? I'm going to a rave and I want to take pics 
smile.gif

I loved my 35mm while shooting at clubs for close up pics, but mainly something with 18mm or similar cause alot of girls like taking full body shots. and with limited space you need something wide
also i shot with my SB600, shooting at the ceiling 

yallayalla wrote:
does anyone know how to disable the auto edit thing at LR3.. cause when i usually import RAW files in it and click develop, it automatically changes the contrast, exposure, etc.. 
this only happens when i import RAW and not jpeg 
nerd.gif

check your import settings, I'm curious to see what happens, ive never experienced that before

Clevereddie wrote:
desoIation1 wrote:
Anyone here take pictures in clubs? What's a good lens and external flash combo? I'm going to a rave and I want to take pics 
smile.gif

I loved my 35mm while shooting at clubs for close up pics, but mainly something with 18mm or similar cause alot of girls like taking full body shots. and with limited space you need something wide
also i shot with my SB600, shooting at the ceiling 

When I shoot straight up at the ceiling, I don't get an even flash.  Only the top of their heads are lit up.  I tried pointing directly and found that the lighting was pretty good but it was too much on the face.  I found best results pointing it at 45 degrees with a reflector, but still got uneven lighting.  I was thinking of buying a diffuser like this and pointing it directly at people to get even and not-so-harsh lighting.
41v9ICasNRL.jpg

Would this help?  I am trying to get better at flash photography, something I've always overlooked.

365:

36 of 365 by abfsantos, on Flickr

Originally Posted by OnTheNephs

Drop some gems, ill with the lens. Let me know what ya'll think

Personal Fav

Nice pics.  I really like the last one-great composition.  Subject is a little dark though, I am more drawn to the scenery/trees in the background.

^ Ah man Rolo.....it NEVER comes off my 5D, haha, clean pics, and good range, not the best bokeh, but still satisfactory.

Cris.

Nice pics.  I really like the last one-great composition.  Subject is a little dark though, I am more drawn to the scenery/trees in the background.

Thank you man, much appreciated. 

sup cris, thanks. good to see u in the thread man. i love the 24-70l too. i used it on an nyc trip as a walk around lens and was sold. def on my lens to get list.
onthenephs: i like the 2nd pic the most. i like the colors/composition. and it somewhat looks like a painting.

5412755416_55794de714.jpg

I would suggest you try and redo this logo. There is just too many things wrong for you to accept this as your logo for your photography. First off, if you have an acronym as a logo, then keep it as an acronym and not have things spelled out. If your photos speak wonders, the viewer will learn to know what TBP stands for. And even if you were to spell out the words, you can't spell out the word Tre and then have the letter B not spelled out and then continue to spell out the last letter. If you didn't explain what you said prior to the logo, I would have never figured it out.

Anyways...this is not a bashing but just a heads up on fine tuning the logo. Maybe grab some books or just look up logos on the internet for inspiration. I am sure there is a better way to get your message across with this.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

5412755416_55794de714.jpg

I would suggest you try and redo this logo. There is just too many things wrong for you to accept this as your logo for your photography. First off, if you have an acronym as a logo, then keep it as an acronym and not have things spelled out. If your photos speak wonders, the viewer will learn to know what TBP stands for. And even if you were to spell out the words, you can't spell out the word Tre and then have the letter B not spelled out and then continue to spell out the last letter. If you didn't explain what you said prior to the logo, I would have never figured it out.

Anyways...this is not a bashing but just a heads up on fine tuning the logo. Maybe grab some books or just look up logos on the internet for inspiration. I am sure there is a better way to get your message across with this.
Appreciate it. It was just something I came up with last week. It just popped in my head & that's the general idea that I had.

Have any suggestions or ideas for something...simpler?

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Just got this camera. Not sure how good it is. Just need it for my sons basketball games and family outings and things. Any help?
I was thinking of getting the p100 instead but not sure if I needed the extra features. Just need something that will take good pictures of someone moving.
Here's a small 1 minute video I shot, at a local high school basketball game, with my Nikon Coolpix P100.

Hope this helps.

check the dunk at the end...

pimp.gif

Nice. Shoot good pictures?

T1i is getting a little old on me thinking of upgrading to the T2i or the 60D which one should i get as far as video quality? Thats mainly what i use my DSLR's for..

Originally Posted by PltcsAsUsual

T1i is getting a little old on me thinking of upgrading to the T2i or the 60D which one should i get as far as video quality? Thats mainly what i use my DSLR's for..

Get the 60d.  Quality is the same but the 60d is fully manual in video mode, while the t2i is automatic exposure.  The 60d also has a swivel screen for taking high and low and shots, too

Originally Posted by desoIation1

Get the 60d.  Quality is the same but the 60d is fully manual in video mode, while the t2i is automatic exposure.  The 60d also has a swivel screen for taking high and low and shots, too

Wow that sounds like a deal breaker for me i thought the t2i did manual video smh that was the main reason for the upgrade in the first place..

I am about 1 month into my new photography hobby and I must say NT has taught me a lot of techniques

If I could ever learn how to use Photoshop I may really get good. But i still struggle to use it...Any tips?

Originally Posted by desoIation1

Wow that sounds like a deal breaker for me i thought the t2i did manual video smh that was the main reason for the upgrade in the first place..

Actually the t2i does have full manual video control. The 60d had sound song whole the t2i doesn't. Either one is a good choice. Note that the t3i was just announced. Sounds like a beast of a slr

Back
Top Bottom