**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

frank, well said. unfortunately, D&S just does not appeal to me. i dont know how many RRL enthusiasts will venture into D&S, as i feel the lure of RRL is in its quality and limited runs. and obviously the details in the pieces. but D&S is a mass marketed line, made in much bigger numbers and with cheaper materials. that, and the fact that i havent found one appealing D&S item yet, i dont think i'll ever be one of those RRL-budget spillovers. 

Last edited:
The laughing emoticon says "Hey guys, I'm really not an angry person". While the follow up post gives the illusion that you actually contribute to this thread. Well played sir. :rolleyes

:rofl:
actually the laughing emoticon says "hey FrankMatthews, I'm really laughing at you because of the way you said you feel about me and you don't even know me".

while my follow up post / opinion about the closing of Rugby and the direction of D&S is pretty spot on with the direction that RL is taking it.

like i've stated numerous times before, D&S is basically a re-branded PJC.

If anyone is going to miss Rugby, just be patient because there is no doubt in my mind that D&S will offer a varsity / school theme line some time down the road.

D&S has its few pieces here and there. Not a bad way to go for shorts, denim, cargos, etc but I just don't find myself leaning towards it. It basically looks like Polo-meets-Abercrombie-meets-LRG. I can mess with a little for bottoms and filler pieces here and there but I think myself and the majority of lo enthusiasts are just gonna lean back on polo to fill the void.

I don't like the vintage, destroyed, faded look that a lot of the D&S clothing has :x. I've seen some nice designed hoodies from them but didn't buy because they'd look better in normal colors that weren't faded to hell.

frank, well said. unfortunately, D&S just does not appeal to me. i dont know how many RRL enthusiasts will venture into D&S, as i feel the lure of RRL is in its quality and limited runs. and obviously the details in the pieces. but D&S is a mass marketed line, made in much bigger numbers and with cheaper materials. that, and the fact that i havent found one appealing D&S item yet, i dont think i'll ever be one of those RRL-budget spillovers. 

Mass marketed line = more profitable numbers. I agree, the lure of RRL is in its quality and details, but how profitable do you think RRL actually is at their pricepoint?

If you or anyone else is already a RRL enthusiast, you will not even look at D&S because like you said, the cheaper materials.

I can tell you that I only own 2 henley's and a pair of duck camo cargo shorts from D&S and I bought them deeply discounted at Macy's when the line first started and nobody really cared for it then.

There are plenty of interesting D&S pieces but my mentality of knowing that D&S is the "cheaper alternative" will not allow me to purchase it, although I can definitely pull it off considering that at this point, the way that RL is copying aesthetics across the board, you can really mix & match stuff from the low to high end of RL's lines.

I agree jay. DS is a great line to pull fillers from for mixing and matching with othwr RL lines. Abd like I said before, Gourmetkickz did this flawlessly earlier in the tread in his outdoor pic.

The only items I've bought from D&S are chambrays and sport shirts and it was because they were $15 or less. The denim is terrible and many of their items are too loud for me. A jacket with a giant distressed American flag or poorly destroyed jeans with unnatural holes all over the front ...no thanks. I'll stick to RRL.

Last edited:
Mass marketed line = more profitable numbers. I agree, the lure of RRL is in its quality and details, but how profitable do you think RRL actually is at their pricepoint?

If you or anyone else is already a RRL enthusiast, you will not even look at D&S because like you said, the cheaper materials.

I can tell you that I only own 2 henley's and a pair of duck camo cargo shorts from D&S and I bought them deeply discounted at Macy's when the line first started and nobody really cared for it then.

There are plenty of interesting D&S pieces but my mentality of knowing that D&S is the "cheaper alternative" will not allow me to purchase it, although I can definitely pull it off considering that at this point, the way that RL is copying aesthetics across the board, you can really mix & match stuff from the low to high end of RL's lines.
i dont remember where i read it, but you're right - RRL makes very little for Ralphy, mainly because they cant realize any economies of scale from mass production. maybe somewhere down the line i'll do a double take at D&S, but for now i'll stick to RRL and blue label.

This sideline jacket is so nice in person.

Gutted the Rugby store in London never had the Varsity for 60% off in my size.

Was incredibly tempted to cop it a size up and take it to a tailor, but I think it would have taken a lot of work and extra money to get it to fit how I wanted.

Notice there's a few varsitys on eBay, but I suspect shill bidding from the seller.

Last edited:
Krash, you have no clue. Coldest it's been in like 30 years or some **** and I came prepared.. The boy Jah was rockin the Mechanics Jacket and you don't wear that out here.
Dam for jah to be able to rock that it must have Ben brick out! Tell sun what up.

I agree jay. DS is a great line to pull fillers from for mixing and matching with othwr RL lines. Abd like I said before, Gourmetkickz did this flawlessly earlier in the tread in his outdoor pic.
I have felt this way since Ralph bought out anything besides blue tag Lo. I.e. sport/rlx,RRL,sportsman,country. I have something from all RL lines ,at least one piece and that includes socks,gloves,hats ect. And on the contrary belief "high end" is just a term and nothing more but to make you feel good about spending more for the same ****. I have pieces from purple that are nothing more than polo golf whit a diff tag and vise versa same whit RLX to. lol. I know jay knows this and also superman. RRL is just Ralph denim (sportsmen/outdoorsmen/country) so when he had the spot inside the polo sports store back in 1994 I knew right off the back what it was! Same whit rugby the first two years was just the same already mentioned lines( all the rugged stuff) and this is before any Harlem dudes even knew what it was(came out in 04 they started rockin around 09-010).and then the patches!! That was a dope idea but cats messed that up by going overboard but that's for a next convo. Lol. Mix and match is all good In my book as long as the "match" go's whit the "mix".i have bought d&s but not for me as of yet.

lmao. I go threw that from time to time. I fell this about all things Ralph.

Last edited:
and then the patches!! That was a dope idea but cats messed that up by going overboard but that's for a next convo.

Managed to snag a few more patches yesterday "before the lock" at Rugby. Gotta few bullions too, it's insane paying only £1 for them, haha!

Dam for jah to be able to rock that it must have Ben brick out! Tell sun what up.
I have felt this way since Ralph bought out anything besides blue tag Lo. I.e. sport/rlx,RRL,sportsman,country. I have something from all RL lines ,at least one piece and that includes socks,gloves,hats ect. And on the contrary belief "high end" is just a term and nothing more but to make you feel good about spending more for the same ****. I have pieces from purple that are nothing more than polo golf whit a diff tag and vise versa same whit RLX to. lol. I know jay knows this and also superman. RRL is just Ralph denim (sportsmen/outdoorsmen/country) so when he had the spot inside the polo sports store back in 1994 I knew right off the back what it was! Same whit rugby the first two years was just the same already mentioned lines( all the rugged stuff) and this is before any Harlem dudes even knew what it was(came out in 04 they started rockin around 09-010).and then the patches!! That was a dope idea but cats messed that up by going overboard but that's for a next convo. Lol. Mix and match is all good In my book as long as the "match" go's whit the "mix".i have bought d&s but not for me as of yet.
I agree. In the big picture, the labels are purely for organization of collections, and for marketing. Yes certain lines will have better reputation of quality, but its always on a piece by piece basis.

To me, RRL was an extension of the country line when I first saw it in the '90's. Now it has evolved into a higher end "Americana workwear aesthetic" line with quality materials and low production. I can compare my own pair of blue label selvedge jeans with a pair RRL selvedge and the blue label pales in comparison to the RRL. It is so much thinner and lighter and the construction is not as well as my RRL pair. Just from this, I only buy RRL jeans now and never really even look at what blue label, D&S, Rugby, have/had to offer in jeans. It is well worth it's "high end" price.

Jay drops knowledge on the regular in here. As long as you come correct, he's a great dude and an invaluable resource. There's nothing wrong with being protective of a culture you hold dear.

Here are some pics - sorry, most of them are pretty crappy.

Need the fleece USA jacket in an XL or XXL

Nat - this is the other piece I mentioned to you -

Can somebody with knowledge advise on the last time Polo did a decent Varsity Jacket to rival the Rugby one from AW12 I mentioned earlier, with leather sleeves and patches etc.

Jay drops knowledge on the regular in here. As long as you come correct, he's a great dude and an invaluable resource. There's nothing wrong with being protective of a culture you hold dear.

Appreciate the words BIP, love seeing footwear combos w/pieces but you too matchy matchy for them young whippersnappers! haha

Can somebody with knowledge advise on the last time Polo did a decent Varsity Jacket to rival the Rugby one from AW12 I mentioned earlier, with leather sleeves and patches etc.

varsity jacket "AW12" from Rugby? not quite sure what you mean or what this is. which jacket are you referring too. I might have overlooked your post and don't pay attention too much to Rugby.

23RAKIM45 wants to know when was the last time Polo Ralph Lauren released a varsity jacket similar to the Rugby one that Justin Beiber wore with the patches all over the front with a wool body and leather sleeves.

Last edited:
Appreciate the words BIP, love seeing footwear combos w/pieces but you too matchy matchy for them young whippersnappers! haha
varsity jacket "AW12" from Rugby? not quite sure what you mean or what this is. which jacket are you referring too. I might have overlooked your post and don't pay attention too much to Rugby.

Think he's talking about this.

8202140445_dabdcf5bd2.jpg

"sorry cant help" but it was prob this one

Which btw HudsonNYC has since knocked off

23RAKIM45 wants to know when was the last time Polo Ralph Lauren released a varsity jacket similar to the Rugby one that Justin Beiber wore with the patches all over the front with a wool body and leather sleeves.

Right on!

Think he's talking about this.

8202140445_dabdcf5bd2.jpg

Yeah that's the one, but I was wondering if something just as nice or just as similar had been done recently by Polo or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom