**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

I got wrapped up in the Macys 30% presale event. It happened so quick. I got one of the P O L O spellout sweaters in RED and a tartan button up that Would Have looked so good for thanksgiving LOL!!!

Can anyone drop some info on the quality of RL down coats? Are they warm/reliable?

I'm thinking about copping this http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=112004996

But I'm usually a TNF/Helly Hansen type of guy. I trust those brands because Pro's use them.

What about Ralph Lauren? I like to wear my coat without layering, so no hoodies or anything under them most of the time. Is it worth the $500?

Also, is the build quality of their outerwear top notch? I assume they don't have lifetime warranties like TNF...

Honestly I prefer RL over almost everything except for when it comes to jackets. I have a couple of rain jackets but that's it. I stick to Eddie Bauer and TNF for heavy jackets. Eddie Bauer has a lifetime warranty too

About to head to the outlet. Trying to get a bear hoodie

Last edited:
YALL THINK RL.COM IS GONNA DO A DEEPER DISCOUNT AFTER THE " THANKS30" CODE ENDS TODAY . TRYING TO DECIDE IF I SHOULD PULL THE TRIGGER ON A BIG XMAS ORDER NOW OR WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY ?????

How often do the outlets do these kinds of deals? Missed my bus and the next one isn't until 245.

40% off the entire store ends on Sunday I believe. The additional 30% off coupon posted ends today...
Thanks. I'm just going to have to wait until next time to see if they have another sale like this one.

Pissed, but I couldn't wait that long for a bus. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Outlet pick ups. Jacket is pretty nice its polo sport "performance" so it's kinda warm

Jacket itself was originally $200 but I got it and the 2 sweatshirts for $182 :pimp:

Last edited:
Stopped by the Livermore outlets today. Ish was dry as hell. Nothing intriguing at all. Sucks because I ate off that outlet especially during pologate

est1989 ,Thoughts and prayers sent for your loss

Kicking things off with my extended family tonight...

Polo Corduroy belted Jacket, RRL graphic l/s tee, Polo Beaded/Leather/Patched Navajo Denim, Polo Socks, Ralph Lauren Horned Moccasins, Polo Beacon Socks, Polo Wool Indian Head Scarf.

Happy Thanksgiving NT.

I have a Woolrich Down coat XL I paid $200 years back instead of going for that Canada Goose for $700. I wore it with out layers that's how warm that coat is. I need another but a women's medium.
Can anyone drop some info on the quality of RL down coats? Are they warm/reliable?

I'm thinking about copping this http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=112004996

But I'm usually a TNF/Helly Hansen type of guy. I trust those brands because Pro's use them.

What about Ralph Lauren? I like to wear my coat without layering, so no hoodies or anything under them most of the time. Is it worth the $500?

Also, is the build quality of their outerwear top notch? I assume they don't have lifetime warranties like TNF...

I love RL outerwear, but I wouldn't buy any of their down gear unless I was absolutely in love with the look. You're paying a 200 - 300% markup compared to an equivalent (or even better) down coat. I have a lot of down gear that I use for mountaineering (e.g. the Matterhorn, Denali) - the quality, and price/value ratio far exceeds anything you'll find at RL. If my down gear failed while I was on Denali in the middle of a blizzard with 100 mph winds, I'd be putting my life on the line. Not sure I can say I trust the construction of a RL down jacket that far.

That being said, technical gear has a very different "look" that doesn't work for a lot of people. If you want something that looks solid, and are willing to pony 2-3x the price of an equivalent down jacket to get it, RL would be a solid choice. I actually do like the look of the RL jacket you linked, and (unlike previous iterations) it's surprisingly not "bad" in terms of quality  - 800 down fill (higher the better), 90/10 down/feather ratio (higher the better).

It used to be that they would be charging tier 1 prices for a 650 fill, 75/25 jacket. However, I notice that they do not specify that they used goose down - goose down is superior to duck down with regards to insulation and loft for the weight. 

Tl;dr

Construction, warmth, quality, reliability, life-time warranty

Arc'teryx  > Outdoor Research/Patagonia >>>  RL 

Looks (in the city)

RL   ~ Arc'teryx Veilance ~ Canada Goose > Outdoor Research/Patagonia

Price

Arc'teryx Veilance > RL > Arc'teryx > Patagonia > Outdoor Research

Regarding Polo down coats, I would tend to agree with the post above. There's a coat from this season that retails for $695 that is flimsy and doesn't feel like a coat worth that price. It is style over substance with some of the models. If you have a Lord and Taylor or Macy's near you, I would check to see if they have the coat in stock. At least if you do that, you can avoid being disappointed after you cop.

On the other hand, I bought a hooded parka four years ago that is warm and have no issue with wearing in temps 20-32 degrees. The only issue is that this model preceded the version where they added a snap to the front of the hood so that it would stay in place when over your head in windy temps. Also, for me in particular, despite the coat being my true size, the waistband was a bit too big. Have been looking to get it tailored down without compromising the coat's integrity.

I'm feeling this parka:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom