The Official Reebok Question (A.I.) Thread.

Oh I absolutely agree with you that for a discount these questions are a great pick up. And my definition of quality on a retail pair is based on how cheaply made they look and feel. I paid I think 200ish for the 8's and they had none of the usual defects you'd expect Jordans to have like glue stains, markings, creases etc. so that is a step up from the quality of the offerings from some of the recent pairs before the whole "remastered" phase. I'm also not entirely sure about the sock liner either, so I'll have to get back to you on that but in general, they truly are a good, quality pair of shoes but nothing compared to some of the early 2000's retros. I bought my 2003 White Cements around a year and a half ago DS and after 12 years they still held up and the leather felt great so these 8's compared to the 3's in quality aren't terribly far off. But my point being, I'm used to Nike/JB producing bad quality shoes so to see Reeboks quality go down, especially for the 20th Anniversary of the Question vs JB going up is disappointing and good for each side. And realistically, I'm probably being a little to knit picky because Reebok usually does good by it's fans so I'm sure it'll make up for it in the near future.

don't think I've ever seen anyone say the current leather is better than the ogs. don't know where you got that at. Unless it's an assumption cuz people are buying them still

Not an assumption. Unfortunately, I'm old, with a collection that starts in the 80's to today (sad l know), so I can compare my og's to retros in hand. I also have friends in the business.

Retro JB buyers will purchase no matter the quality. Very very loyal people. I have friends complain about quality on cement AJ IV, then buy 5 pairs! Doesn't matter to me, it's their cash. I don't whine about quality, it just determines how much I'm willing to pay.

All I want is AdiReebok to put real DMX in all the Answer retros please.

Not an assumption. Unfortunately, I'm old, with a collection that starts in the 80's to today (sad l know), so I can compare my og's to retros in hand. I also have friends in the business.
I just recently discovered NT and finally realized that I'm getting old. I start to notice a very obvious decline in material quality and workmanship with sneakers beginning in the late 90's especially with Nikes manufacturered in Vietnam and Indonesia. That was also around the same time athletic shoes Made in Taiwan and Korea began to disappear, replaced more and more by Made in China.

My first pair of brand name sneakers were kids size Reebok Workouts in white leather from 1985. To be honest the leather wasn't durable but much softer when compared to domestic Hong Kong brands liked Yasaki and Kamachi and Addin costing much less (the stiff and plastiky JB leather of today existed with these no name brands 30 yrs ago so it's not new tech). Lotto and Diadora also made pretty good quality athletic shoes without the premium price tag like Reebok IIRC.

However, material quality got quite good by the late 80's when I got a pair of Club C. I only wore them to school under bad weather and they were pretty much indestructible.

I just got reunited with this model today (yea yea dadcore I know). Literally four times the price now but the level of detail is amazing to me. I rank these right up there with my NB 1300JP2.

Nike/JB seriously need to hire a few peeps from NB and Adidas/Reebok to learn how to "remaster" retros. My WC4 and Maroon 6 retros don't even compare in quality and workmanship to these Reeboks, not even close.

Last edited:

I just recently discovered NT and finally realized that I'm getting old. I start to notice a very obvious decline in material quality and workmanship with sneakers beginning in the late 90's especially with Nikes manufacturered in Vietnam and Indonesia. That was also around the same time athletic shoes Made in Taiwan and Korea began to disappear, replaced more and more by Made in China.

My first pair of brand name sneakers were kids size Reebok Workouts in white leather from 1985. To be honest the leather wasn't durable but much softer when compared to domestic Hong Kong brands liked Yasaki and Kamachi and Addin costing much less (the stiff and plastiky JB leather of today existed with these no name brands 30 yrs ago so it's not new tech). Lotto and Diadora also made pretty good quality athletic shoes without the premium price tag like Reebok IIRC.

However, material quality got quite good by the late 80's when I got a pair of Club C. I only wore them to school under bad weather and they were pretty much indestructible.

I just got reunited with this model today (yea yea dadcore I know). Literally four times the price now but the level of detail is amazing to me. I rank these right up there with my NB 1300JP2.

Nike/JB seriously need to hire a few peeps from NB and Adidas/Reebok to learn how to "remaster" retros. My WC4 and Maroon 6 retros don't even compare in quality and workmanship to these Reeboks, not even close.
reebok is not immune to "cheaping out" see non red pearl toe questions circa 2016
laugh.gif

Thanks for the insight. I think part of it is everything has become environmentally friendly. My older shoes are "tanks" compared to some of my newer shoes where the sole separates and midsoles just crumble.

Stopped by a few Reebok outlets.  All of them had the black toe Question lows for $100.  No red toe. 

^^^^^^ 

Let us know how you make out.  Current sale is what ?   Buy 1 get the 2nd for 60% off.   I guess that's a deal if you're buying two pairs of Question lows.   Not worth it if you're buying just 1 pair.   I'll have to keep checking back often until the black toes end up on the back rack for around $60

Stopped by a few Reebok outlets.  All of them had the black toe Question lows for $100.  No red toe. 

Time to call my local outlet. Also just picked up purple toe Kobe questions for $100. Not bad, prices went crazy for a while.

Reebok Outlet and Woodbury Commons in Monroe, NY doesn't have any of the lows. Just went there today manager there said they weren't getting them

They do, just too expensive to produce, just like real Hexalite and proper functioning Pump systems.
Going on a hunt this morning for the black and blue toes.
I went to another store today, used my index finger to poke on the bottom Hexalite window of another pair of Questions and then the Hexalite window of the Shaq Attaq 4s. The Hexalite on the Question is definitely fake again the thin plastic film made it too obvious lol!  The Hexalite on the Shaq Attaq 4 is real like on the Ventilator.

Can someone double check on the Hexalite window of the Capsule Wind Chills? Just curious cuz I didn't stop by Capsule during ASW.

Last edited:
All Hexalite is fake, let me elaborate. The last time I saw a real Hexalite was back in 2007 when Reebok released the limited 1991 pairs Omni Lite. Today only the Question has a Hexalite that is the closest to the original, Hexalite has to be soft and responsive, the only comparison I can make, Hexalite felt like the original Zoom Air, it was so good.BTW, was not lucky today on the outlets, will have to check some other ones.

Last edited:
All Hexalite is fake, let me elaborate. The last time I saw a real Hexalite was back in 2007 when Reebok released the limited 1991 pairs Omni Lite. Today only the Question has a Hexalite that is the closest to the original, Hexalite has to be soft and responsive, the only comparison I can make, Hexalite felt like the original Zoom Air, it was so good.
But the clear film on the Hexalite window of the Question isn't even attached to the honeycomb structure I'm serious lol!

I had both Reebok Hexalite and ERS products around the year 1990. I can say ERS did absolutely nothing for me when I ran cross country in school. I remembered Hexalite on the AXT was great, comparable to my then pair of Asics Gel 101 runners.

Last edited:
Yeah thats one thing that is not done well, well one of the things, but yeah the upper film is detached from the cells.

Really want those question lows but only lowering $10?

Cmon Reebok, y'all should of known the red toe mids were the only ones that were really gonna move

But the clear film on the Hexalite window of the Question isn't even attached to the honeycomb structure I'm serious lol!

I had both Reebok Hexalite and ERS products around the year 1990. I can say ERS did absolutely nothing for me when I ran cross country in school. I remembered Hexalite on the AXT was great, comparable to my then pair of Asics Gel 101 runners.

Yes it's known that the Vis-Hex on the Questions is pure trash. The other incarnations of it aren't exactly quite the same. I have both the Ventilators and Attaq IVs - the cushioning is not the same as it was in the original 90s pairs.

Yes it's known that the Vis-Hex on the Questions is pure trash. The other incarnations of it aren't exactly quite the same. I have both the Ventilators and Attaq IVs - the cushioning is not the same as it was in the original 90s pairs.
Okay thanks for the info I thought I was imagining things myself. I've noticed this beginning with Nike Air Max 3/90 since they first retro more than 10 years ago where they felt nothing like the original. Haven't bought Reebok retros until this year.

I lot of retro shoes to me feels like the shoe cradles the foot, as if the foot sinks a bit into the midsole. Old shoes to me never felt like that (the footbed was flat). Not sure if it's because of my weight as an adult.

Last edited:
And they can't, with that hard rubber filled cells "Hexalite". I really want to know how much money they saved by not putting the real Hexalite in the shoes or real DMX, or even real Pump systems. 

Okay thanks for the info I thought I was imagining things myself. I've noticed this beginning with Nike Air Max 3/90 since they first retro more than 10 years ago where they felt nothing like the original. Haven't bought Reebok retros until this year.

I lot of retro shoes to me feels like the shoe cradles the foot, as if the foot sinks a bit into the midsole. Old shoes to me never felt like that (the footbed was flat). Not sure if it's because of my weight as an adult.

They cut costs when they manufacture retro shoes by removing some of the original technology. Apart from the aforementioned cost savings they also do not want the retro product cannibalizing sales of the inline/current models by performing similarly. I worked at Nike for 9 years from '03 - '12. The AM retros you mentioned had a lot of features removed from their original incarnations - some of the hard plastic bits were replaced with rubber and foam, the air units were smaller and filled with Nitrogen not the SF6 (sulfur hexafluoride) which offered a fantastic 'ride' but was damaging to the ozone layer.

They cut costs when they manufacture retro shoes by removing some of the original technology. Apart from the aforementioned cost savings they also do not want the retro product cannibalizing sales of the inline/current models by performing similarly. I worked at Nike for 9 years from '03 - '12. The AM retros you mentioned had a lot of features removed from their original incarnations - some of the hard plastic bits were replaced with rubber and foam, the air units were smaller and filled with Nitrogen not the SF6 (sulfur hexafluoride) which offered a fantastic 'ride' but was damaging to the ozone layer.

Or so they say [emoji]128521[/emoji], it's all about the environment...

The Shaq IV was not bad, worth the $50 clearance price. Need to try it with the instapump. I assume it works.

In my Iverson retros, since cushioning is not as good as OG, I sometimes add DMX insoles. Some RBK football cleats and Rockport shoes had removable insoles with DMX. The moving air felt good right under your foot as opposed to the DMX located in the midsole. Not necessarily better, just a very different feel.

Back
Top Bottom