-The Official Sneaker Wiki Thread- (Post interesting facts/backstories/design inspiration)

The intention of this thread is to bring back an aspect of Niketalk that I miss dearly. I miss the threads where history and trivial pieces of information was posted. Dudes like B1lly Hoyle dropping knowledge.

There are 2 simple rules for this thread:

1)No flame wars. This is purely factual and discussion based. I will ask mods to delete posts and even threads if it gets out of hand. If someone is factually incorrect, correct them. No need to be mean about it 

2)Please state the topic (sneaker, designer, etc) and any keywords that may be useful in identifying a topic with our built in search feature. This thread has the potential to become very dense with information and I wouldn't want any of it to get lost in translation. Also, please try to be accurate with spelling.

I highly suggest picking up this book:

It contains a lot of information on models I-XX

Off the top off my head, here are just some random tidbits that first come to mind and that I have absorbed throughout the years

Air Jordan

Air Jordan I 
-Michael Jordan originally hated this model. He thought they looked like clown shoes. It eventually grew on him with time.

-The Black/Red colorway was originally banned by the NBA because David Stern believed they were too flashy. Michael wore them anyway and he got fined everytime he wore them. Nike picked up the tab
Air Jordan III
-The shoe that saved the line. Michael hated the II. Nike brought in Tinker Hatfield and the rest is history
Air Jordan XI
-The Carbon Fiber plate was developed after Jordan was diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis 
Nike Basketball

Foamposite
-Originally intended for Scottie Pippen. Pippen thought they were ugly. Penny saw them and wanted them. The rest is history.

-The original foamposite molds were lost in a factory fire
Huarache 2K4
-Originally supposed to be Kobe Bryant's fire signature shoe on Nike until the Colorado incident happened

-The model is a culmination of the history of Nike Basketball. It took design cues from several revolutionary models: (someone help fill in the blanks)

-Air Force 1 - ?

-Blazer - The Swoosh

-Air Jordan XI - The Carbon Fiber Plate

-Mercurial Vapor - external heel counter

-Air Flight Huarache - Inner Booties

-Penny IV - The strap?

-Hyperflight - outrigger
This is far from an exhaustive list but it is a starting point. 

I asked this in the other thread but couldn't get an answer.

What's the story behind the AJKO? I heard it had something to do with Japan? Idk where I got that from, it just popped into my head

The intention of this thread is to bring back an aspect of Niketalk that I miss dearly. I miss the threads where history and trivial pieces of information was posted. Dudes like B1lly Hoyle dropping knowledge.

There are 2 simple rules for this thread:

1)No flame wars. This is purely factual and discussion based. I will ask mods to delete posts and even threads if it gets out of hand. If someone is factually incorrect, correct them. No need to be mean about it 

2)Please state the topic (sneaker, designer, etc) and any keywords that may be useful in identifying a topic with our built in search feature. This thread has the potential to become very dense with information and I wouldn't want any of it to get lost in translation. Also, please try to be accurate with spelling.

I highly suggest picking up this book:

View media item 717178

It contains a lot of information on models I-XX

Off the top off my head, here are just some random tidbits that first come to mind and that I have absorbed throughout the years

Air Jordan

Air Jordan I 
-Michael Jordan originally hated this model. He thought they looked like clown shoes. It eventually grew on him with time.
-The Black/Red colorway was originally banned by the NBA because David Stern believed they were too flashy. Michael wore them anyway and he got fined everytime he wore them. Nike picked up the tab
Air Jordan III
-The shoe that saved the line. Michael hated the II. Nike brought in Tinker Hatfield and the rest is history
Air Jordan XI
-The Carbon Fiber plate was developed after Jordan was diagnosed with Plantar Fasciitis 

Nike Basketball

Foamposite
-Originally intended for Scottie Pippen. Pippen thought they were ugly. Penny saw them and wanted them. The rest is history.
-The original foamposite molds were lost in a factory fire
Huarache 2K4
-Originally supposed to be Kobe Bryant's fire signature shoe on Nike until the Colorado incident happened
-The model is a culmination of the history of Nike Basketball. It took design cues from several revolutionary models: (someone help fill in the blanks)
   -Air Force 1 - ?
   -Blazer - The Swoosh
   -Air Jordan XI - The Carbon Fiber Plate
   -Mercurial Vapor - external heel counter
   -Air Flight Huarache - Inner Booties
   -Penny IV - The strap?
   -Hyperflight - outrigger

This is far from an exhaustive list but it is a starting point. 
For the 2k4 spoiler
Wasn't Kobe with Adidas
When Colorado happened
And then they dropped him???
If so that couldn't had been planned as a Kobe shoe
I do remember Kobe wearing it though but I don't think they came up with him in mind.

Also has Bruce Kilgore ever made a book
I really wonder what he thinks about the af1
After all this time

I asked this in the other thread but couldn't get an answer.

What's the story behind the AJKO? I heard it had something to do with Japan? Idk where I got that from, it just popped into my head
They were only released in Japan from what i THINK I remember but I forgot the official story

For the 2k4 spoiler
Wasn't Kobe with Adidas
When Colorado happened
And then they dropped him???
If so that couldn't had been planned as a Kobe shoe
I do remember Kobe wearing it though but I don't think they came up with him in mind.

Also has Bruce Kilgore ever made a book
I really wonder what he thinks about the af1
After all this time
This is possible. I'm just going off what I remember throughout the years. Would anybody care to chime in.

This is exactly what we need. People fact checking is just as important as people posting info

Subbed! Never knew that about the huarache 2k4 and the XIs.

Btw, anyone else enjoy this ad?

Last edited:
@BIP Roberts
@Stuntman Mike
Or is it @Stuntman Mike82
Can y'all come through with some af1 info to post
Like how store owners I THINK in bmore or was it philly???? convinced Nike to retro the af1
Wait what??

I thought forces were continuously released throughout the years.

I was born in 1992 and the air force 1 was the shoe that got me started into this mess. Please dont flame me since my SN is af1 1982 and i dont know this story 
laugh.gif

Subbed! Never knew that about the huarache 2k4 and the XIs.

Btw, anyone else enjoy this ad?

I absolutely loved this ad. The 2k4 might be my favorite shoe of all time. 

I remember NIke has an interactive feature on their website specifically for the 2k4 and you could click on the different design cues and what not.

I also remember the Nike Basketball website used to have this timeline thing for all the shoes they ever released. Wish I could find that man, this is my teenage years

Think what they mean is just like the dunks they released then didn't come out for a couple years then "retroed" again in like late 80s after the success of the AJ1

[@=/u/42213/BIP-Roberts]@BIP Roberts[/@]
[@=/u/39279/Stuntman-Mike]@Stuntman Mike[/@]

Or is it [@=/u/107434/Stuntman-Mike82]@Stuntman Mike82[/@]

Can y'all come through with some af1 info to post
Like how store owners I THINK in bmore or was it philly???? convinced Nike to retro the af1
Wait what??

I thought forces were continuously released throughout the years.

I was born in 1992 and the air force 1 was the shoe that got me started into this mess. Please dont flame me since my SN is af1 1982 and i dont know this story :lol:
They came out in 82 then they discontinued it the next year and brought it back in 86

Yess I was right lol Dunks > AF1 IMO

Their discontinuation and rebirth IMO was better even the rise of SBs.

Hope people got some stories of the many SB Dunks themes. I want to hear why the Freddys never released?

Also wasn't the only reason Jordan's got retroed was to celebrate Jordan 10 years (94) and then when he retired initially to spike sales?????
:nerd: please other members come chime in
This thread has potential

Yess I was right lol Dunks > AF1 IMO

Their discontinuation and rebirth IMO was better even the rise of SBs.

Hope people got some stories of the many SB Dunks themes. I want to hear why the Freddys never released?
I thought the reason was copyright issues :nerd:
Cause of the shoe and Freddy's sweater :nerd:

Also wasn't the only reason Jordan's got retroed was to celebrate Jordan 10 years (94) and then when he retired initially to spike sales?????
:nerd: please other members come chime in
This thread has potential

This is correct the AJ1 and AJ4 I believe were one of the first retroes but when that happened they didn't sell as good as their initial run.

I thought the reason was copyright issues :nerd:
Cause of the shoe and Freddy's sweater :nerd:

Right but if it's the name think didn't nike get away with saying they arnt the ones who give the nicknames? Like the Black and Tan issue? The sweater part is "broad" but I can see the copyright thing for the insoles

Think what they mean is just like the dunks they released then didn't come out for a couple years then "retroed" again in like late 80s after the success of the AJ1
From memory aj1's weren't really a success
But damn I wish more peeps posted right now
My memory of some info is cloudy
There's a lot of knowledgable people on this board
Would be a good chance to educate the new people who we criticize don't know anything about shoes

Bs because I'll have nightmare everyday if I can get a pair my size lol (jk I hate nightmares [emoji]128566[/emoji])

From memory aj1's weren't really a success
But damn I wish more peeps posted right now
My memory of some info is cloudy
There's a lot of knowledgable people on this board
Would be a good chance to educate the new people who we criticize don't know anything about shoes
Definitely.

I can see this thread picking up steam. I just created it late at night so most people are sleep for work tomorrow 
laugh.gif

In the words of Trinidad James

" instead of dissing somebody and beefing with somebody why don't you try and help them"

Last edited:
I absolutely loved this ad. The 2k4 might be my favorite shoe of all time. 

I remember NIke has an interactive feature on their website specifically for the 2k4 and you could click on the different design cues and what not.

I also remember the Nike Basketball website used to have this timeline thing for all the shoes they ever released. Wish I could find that man, this is my teenage years

EXACTLY. All of that. repped.

Back
Top Bottom