The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 Oz Open Nadal Out)

Most unexpected!

Good win for Karen as well against a good Tiafoe with the crowd backing him!

Surprised Fritz and Big Foe are both out this early. I wonder if they would've benefitted more from playing a normal tournament leading up to the Aussie Open instead of the United Cup...

Poor Rafa... I hope he takes the full 8 weeks to recover and waits until clay season to make his return. Definitely want to see him healthy before the Rafael Nadal Open starts in May.

Wow, Iga out in straights. :wow: Pretty crazy that was the first match between two reigning WTA slam champs in around a year and a half.

Coco having trouble against the hard hitting Ostapenko. I'm pulling for Gauff, but would not be surprised if Penko pulls off the upset.

Rybakina really lost out without the points awarded to her ranking after winning Wimbledon, definitely should be ranked higher.

Her cool, calm and composed personality is refreshing from the usual loud grunting, fist pumping.

If Gauff wants to be at the top definitely should be dispatching the likes of Ostapenko.

Welp. Gotta give Ostapenko some credit. Over the last year, it feels like she’s been slowly creeping back into that form that won her the French six years ago.

Hoping Jess Pegula can win it all on the women’s side. Krejcikova could potentially be a tough match for her, though.

Coco has so much talent but if she doesn’t work on the mental side she will go out like Sloane pre and post US Open run.

Coco has so much talent but if she doesn’t work on the mental side she will go out like Sloane pre and post US Open run.
Talk about a rise and fall. She was never the same after holding that check. But she was never fully committed to the game.

Talk about a rise and fall. She was never the same after holding that check. But she was never fully committed to the game.
She really never was. She’s been through the same coach and different coaches only to get the same result. Now that she is married and a step mom to Jozy’s son, I think she accomplished all that she wanted to in the sport and she is . To be honest, the women’s game is in trouble. Coco is next up but she will be next out if she doesn’t pick it up. The game hasn’t evolved and it’s scary. I thought Naomi was next up but now that she’s soon to be a mom I don’t think she will come back. Angie Kerber is pregnant, Sharapova retired in disgrace and is a mom, Halep is done if the drug charges stick, Keys was never it and now that she is a UE machine she’s done.

Not that the Iga result was shocking, cuz Rybakina is still a very good player and the defending Wimbledon champ, but for the scoreline to be so routine. Didn't see what happened tho. But for Rybakina, she's been so underlooked (they put her earlier matches on outside courts, I think). Didn't get any points for her Wimb made her a very tricky sleeper in the rankings/seeds. It's a shame cuz this should have been a QF or SF matchup.

I put up a great fight being two sets down, but those few errors late in the fifth were too costly. Great effort by me tho.

Ostapenko is a French Open champion. Put some respect on her name! Coco needs to get in the weight room. She was gonna get blown off the court eventually as she always does. Same goes for Sloane. That counter punching style is not a winner in this WTA.

Damn, Azarenka wasn’t playing around... Beats Pegula in straights and gives her a bread stick in the final set. :wow:

It’s nice to see this late-career resurgence from Vika. She’s always been one of the best returners on tour during her career… It’ll be interesting to see if she can keep it up against a big server like Rybakina.

I wanted to see Vika have another shot at the title, but Ryba was just too good, too solid.

Nothing against Sabalenka, but her extended grunts really drive me mad. I can deal with Vika and Masha's grunts, but hers really bugs me for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom