The Official World Champion New York Yankees Offseason Thread

Adios Godzilla.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by bkmac

Originally Posted by jrp44

It is seriously sad to see Matsui gone...I always liked him since we signed him...idc what you guys say, behin Jeter he has been our most clutch hitter the past 7 years...at least he got a ring before he left
pimp.gif
We lost the !%@$%#% 2009 World Series MVP to $6.5 million dollars.

CashmanFAIL.

I'm going to miss his bat so much, yes, it's that serious. Such a class act, fan favorite, ughhh.

i highly doubt that the 6 mil was the deciding factor. i trust this orginization enough to know that they have their reasons.

I'm not that mad about losing Matsui. A 35 year old who can't play the field anymore and has very VERY bad knees for $6.5? I'll pass on that man.And Sheets? I trust no NL pitcher coming to the AL. Especially a pitcher who did his work in the weak NL Central moving to the tough AL East. PASS.

I just hope there are enough sensible fans out there to realize that Matsui isn't the bad guy here, "bolting" for the Angels as the Daily Newslikes to put it.

He didn't want to wait around for the Yankees to deal with the Damon situation to find out his fate, and rightfully so. After hearing about the 1 year,$6.5 million offer, the Yankees should have anted up the price right then and there, he's well worth the low price.

My favorite Yank is gone
frown.gif
I'ma really miss Godzilla, that was my dude. I wish nothing but the best for him even as an Angel. Dude is the definition ofclass.

See Ya Godzilla. He was such a liability yet everyone gives him a pass for his bat. Yes he was great in the WS and he has been one of the clutch Yankees, buthe put them in a bind everytime he was in the lineup. 2 bad knees - no ability what so ever to play the field = lack of movement in the lineup and handcuffingJoe G. Best of luck with the Angels who wont get close to the playoffs next year.

Now lets lock up Damon and maybe Bay if the Mets cant

Damon is not going to cost much, the Yanks said they are not going over 2 yrs 16 mil total. So thats only 8 mil a season. Give Bay what the Mets are offeringmaybe a bit more 4-5Yrs at 60-70 mil...where do i sign up

I'll miss Matsui... always a professional and I won't forget his performance in the World Series.

I hope he does well in LA but I want the team to fail miserably
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

See Ya Godzilla. He was such a liability yet everyone gives him a pass for his bat. Yes he was great in the WS and he has been one of the clutch Yankees, but he put them in a bind everytime he was in the lineup. 2 bad knees - no ability what so ever to play the field = lack of movement in the lineup and handcuffing Joe G. Best of luck with the Angels who wont get close to the playoffs next year.
You can't just say "yeah he was good when it mattered but..."

THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS HERE.

Even with his limitations, he helped bring a championship to NY. Not everyone that comes to NY performs, much less in clutch situations, but he did exactlythat...and that DOES give him a pass.

I know you wanted Matsui gone a long time ago but c'mon G...you're talking like he was hurting us out there every day he played.

I'm not upset with him leaving (did he have to go to the Angels though?
laugh.gif
) but all I know is Damon better end up being re-signed since they obviouslypicked one out of the two.

laugh.gif
at the comment about him having a thing for white girls

He's a great community guy with great character-the type of players the Yankees have been pursuing in recent years.

If the Yankees do HOPE Week again in 2010, he'll definitely be front and center for that.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

laugh.gif
at the comment about him having a thing for white girls

He's a great community guy with great character-the type of players the Yankees have been pursuing in recent years.

If the Yankees do HOPE Week again in 2010, he'll definitely be front and center for that.
Yea he is actually a standup guy in the community he did a lot of work here in Detroit. Actually got a chance to meet him a few times in thattype of setting. lol but I have ran into dude in the bars a few time as well.

Losing Godzilla was no big deal. Good dude, but he fielded like he had a refrigerator tied to his back. Thanks for that Game 6 performance though.

We should let Johnny Damon walk too. His price demand is absurd.

Looks like Damon is done if we get Nick Johnson and I don't blame them...$13 million a year??? These offensive players in this market are HIGHLYoverrating what kind of contracts they should be getting.

http:// [h3][/h3]
[h3]Damon done in NY?[/h3]
9:51AM ET

[h5]Johnny Damon | Yankees[/h5]
Top Email

With Nick Johnson on the verge of signing with the Yankees, Johnny Damon's tenure in pinstripes appears to be over.

ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported that Damon wants $13 million a year, his salary on his recently expired contract, and has indicated to the Yankees that he doesn't even want them making an offer if they're going to propose less than that. As a result, there has been very little progress between the sides.

The New York Daily News reports today that the only way Damon could stay in New York would be for him to agree on a two-year deal for about $18 million. One possible landing spot for Damon would be San Francisco, although the Daily News says the Giants are unlikely to give him the three-year offer he covets.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

SMH @ me for not going with my sneaky-%@! boys. They managed to finagle themselves into the food-drive type thing they were doing..

2605r8y.jpg

5fqbnc.jpg

2i74uu9.jpg

2en0qwg.jpg

11j2k43.jpg

16kqt52.jpg

2vchzbn.jpg

11v7kmh.jpg

23s7pl0.jpg

Heres my boys blog..You guys mighta seen them on the screen at the stadium when they do the highlights from the season..

http://makinplays.mlblogs.com/

Should have went with your boys Yoda
laugh.gif

After watching clips of the Granderson press conference, I'm really excited to see him patrol CF for us. He seems like a stand up, cool guy to have in thatclubhouse.

I can't wait to have the season start, whenever he does something good, we're all gonna be like "CURTISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!"
roll.gif

Updated: December 18, 2009, 2:05 PM ET

[h2]Sources: Johnson, Yankees agree[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Buster Olney
ESPN The Magazine
Archive

The Yankees, frustrated in their attempts to re-sign Johnny Damon, have reached aagreement on a one-year deal with Nick Johnson, pending a physical, sources said.

The deal will pay Johnson $5.5 million, and he can earn additional money in incentives based on plate appearances. There is a mutual option -- to which both sides would have to agree -- for 2011 for the same dollar amount.

Johnson, who was drafted and developed by the Yankees, will presumably serve as the team's designated hitter and No. 2 hitter. Johnson's career has been filled with injury, he doesn't hit for a lot of power, and his defense at first base has been viewed by scouts as regressing. But when he plays, he consistently gets on base. Among current free agents, Johnson had the highest on-base percentage in 2009, at .426 with the Nationals and Marlins.

This likely means the end of Damon's tenure with the Yankees. Damon signed a four-year, $52 million deal with the Yankees prior to the 2006 season and took advantage of the Yankees' new ballpark to have a strong 2009 season.

The Yankees have hoped to sign Damon to a two-year deal in the range of $18 million, but the team was told by a conduit of Damon that unless the team was willing to offer at least $13 million a year -- the outfielder's salary in 2009 -- in a multi-year deal, the Yankees shouldn't even bother making an offer.

Another concern within the organization was that even if Damon were to agree to the team's terms, he might be so frustrated by the cut in pay after a strong 2009 season that his play would be affected.

Buster Olney is a senior baseball writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom