The pair that started my obssesion !

It goes way back for me. I actually was into sneakers at a young age rocking the Puma Baskets and Adidas campus. My 7th grade year is when it took a turn ..a friend of mine got the Air jordan 1 White/grey and i dreamed of those shoes but my parents would not buy them. Next year i moved back to San Jose and BIG 5 was a pretty good spot for shoes. Crazy thing happened they received a bunch of Air Jordan 1 Red white and Black for only $19.99. Everybody in San Jose was rocking them.

It goes way back for me. I actually was into sneakers at a young age rocking the Puma Baskets and Adidas campus. My 7th grade year is when it took a turn ..a friend of mine got the Air jordan 1 White/grey and i dreamed of those shoes but my parents would not buy them. Next year i moved back to San Jose and BIG 5 was a pretty good spot for shoes. Crazy thing happened they received a bunch of Air Jordan 1 Red white and Black for only $19.99. Everybody in San Jose was rocking them.

5th grade, Airmax 2 Air Trainer Max in white/green/black. First shoe that really made me notice the full heel air unit. I was a size 6 at the time so I remember being disappointed that the kids size had the small air bubble and not the full unit. I remember stepping up to a size 8 the next year when I got the white/navy Airmax CW 2 (or whatever the Chris Webbers are called now) just so that I could have the full size heel air bubble and the forefoot air bubble.

5th grade, Airmax 2 Air Trainer Max in white/green/black. First shoe that really made me notice the full heel air unit. I was a size 6 at the time so I remember being disappointed that the kids size had the small air bubble and not the full unit. I remember stepping up to a size 8 the next year when I got the white/navy Airmax CW 2 (or whatever the Chris Webbers are called now) just so that I could have the full size heel air bubble and the forefoot air bubble.

When I was in elementary school around 5th grade, that's when I started to take notice that Air Jordans were a status symbol. I couldn't get Jordans, but I begged my aunt (who was visiting at the time and wanted to buy me a gift) to get me a pair of Air Tech Challenge in white/black-varsity purple. After wearing Pro-Wings for most of elementary school, these were my first Nikes (or any major brand for that matter). It was different and a lot of kids at school had fire red or grape 5's at the time. I wore those into the ground. They got re-retroed back in 2007-2008, but I never copped a pair since I wasn't really into the sneaker game. Ah well. I might get a pair for nostalgia.
I've been playing catch up and getting sneakers I loved when I saw them 5-10 years ago, but never got around to buying due to being frugal, not knowing where to cop, or just simply not having the dough for it. That's what I've been doing since I got heavily into sneakers last summer. I flipped through issues and issues of East Bay catalogs for years as a way of window shopping or poking my head into shoe stores. So, last summer I just went on a bit of a buying rampage. I was never really into (buying) sneakers prior to that and I only had 2 pairs of Jordans (retro Black Cat 3's and retro black toed XIV's). I guess for years, I was just a lurker in the sneaker hobby.

When I was in elementary school around 5th grade, that's when I started to take notice that Air Jordans were a status symbol. I couldn't get Jordans, but I begged my aunt (who was visiting at the time and wanted to buy me a gift) to get me a pair of Air Tech Challenge in white/black-varsity purple. After wearing Pro-Wings for most of elementary school, these were my first Nikes (or any major brand for that matter). It was different and a lot of kids at school had fire red or grape 5's at the time. I wore those into the ground. They got re-retroed back in 2007-2008, but I never copped a pair since I wasn't really into the sneaker game. Ah well. I might get a pair for nostalgia.
I've been playing catch up and getting sneakers I loved when I saw them 5-10 years ago, but never got around to buying due to being frugal, not knowing where to cop, or just simply not having the dough for it. That's what I've been doing since I got heavily into sneakers last summer. I flipped through issues and issues of East Bay catalogs for years as a way of window shopping or poking my head into shoe stores. So, last summer I just went on a bit of a buying rampage. I was never really into (buying) sneakers prior to that and I only had 2 pairs of Jordans (retro Black Cat 3's and retro black toed XIV's). I guess for years, I was just a lurker in the sneaker hobby.

I've always been into sneakers, but I didn't get into following the blogs/forums really knowing what I had in my possession until fairly recently. There's a few pairs that really set it off for me though

1. New Balance 576 Leftovers from 2007
2. New Balance 574 Convenience pack
3. Puma Disc Blaze 90s "Tetris" pack

Those 3 aren't even Nikes and I doubt anyone would ever really waste time hunting them down, but finding out more about them started making me remember about all the shoes I'd had over the years and got me pushing forward on a path of buying stuff that fits my personality and sense of style.

I've always been into sneakers, but I didn't get into following the blogs/forums really knowing what I had in my possession until fairly recently. There's a few pairs that really set it off for me though

1. New Balance 576 Leftovers from 2007
2. New Balance 574 Convenience pack
3. Puma Disc Blaze 90s "Tetris" pack

Those 3 aren't even Nikes and I doubt anyone would ever really waste time hunting them down, but finding out more about them started making me remember about all the shoes I'd had over the years and got me pushing forward on a path of buying stuff that fits my personality and sense of style.

Concord 11 and Air Max Penny 1. My parents were going to buy me a new pair for making the A-Team in middle school. My parents weren't too keen on spending over $100 for a pair of shoes they thought I would out grow in a few months, so I got the Air Way Ups instead. Not a bad runner-up at the time.

Concord 11 and Air Max Penny 1. My parents were going to buy me a new pair for making the A-Team in middle school. My parents weren't too keen on spending over $100 for a pair of shoes they thought I would out grow in a few months, so I got the Air Way Ups instead. Not a bad runner-up at the time.

Nice thread!
My first pair (that I remember):
300.jpg

Here's a few that really cemented me into the love of sneakers:

thumbnail.aspx

Nice thread!
My first pair (that I remember):
300.jpg

Here's a few that really cemented me into the love of sneakers:

thumbnail.aspx

OG Black/Red Jordan 1

Dunk. Mad color combos rocked by NCAA teams in the 80's.

Air Force II. Same reason + Barkley/Reggie Miller colorways.

OG Black/Red Jordan 1

Dunk. Mad color combos rocked by NCAA teams in the 80's.

Air Force II. Same reason + Barkley/Reggie Miller colorways.

Nike Air-Kukini. I liked the womens OG color more because I thought (& still do) the black accents on the mens pair threw the whole shoe off.
1_1efc66ff4d73e79e33d2970c5bbcb5b7.jpg
womens
screen-shot-2011-01-20-at-11-31-40-am.png
old ad featuring mens pair.

Nike Air-Kukini. I liked the womens OG color more because I thought (& still do) the black accents on the mens pair threw the whole shoe off.
1_1efc66ff4d73e79e33d2970c5bbcb5b7.jpg
womens
screen-shot-2011-01-20-at-11-31-40-am.png
old ad featuring mens pair.

Jordan 1's back in '85. I was the man in 5th grade. The blue/black ones that followed sealed the deal!

Jordan 1's back in '85. I was the man in 5th grade. The blue/black ones that followed sealed the deal!

My first pair of shoes were white/black Delta Forces back in '87. I still have the pair. In 5th grade I was wearing Grant Hill and Jerry Stackhouse's signature lines. I even had Wayne Gretsky's by LA GEARS with the 99 on the side. What really set it off was a combination of Jordans; the black/chutney XIII lows, oxidized green XIV's and the white/carolina blue XIV lows. It's been killing my bank account ever since. 

Back
Top Bottom