The Real Reason New College Grads Can't Get Hired

And new grads are having trouble getting hired because they are getting degrees that are useless or don't have a job market. I can understand following your dreams and doing something you want, but make sure you can job. Otherwise you're spending $100k+ for an expensive piece of paper

And new grads are having trouble getting hired because they are getting degrees that are useless or don't have a job market. I can understand following your dreams and doing something you want, but make sure you can job. Otherwise you're spending $100k+ for an expensive piece of paper

but some of the blame can be put on these institutions for not providing reliable resources to prepare those students in whatever fields that they choose for getting a good job also

I agree with Nomad, but maybe "useless" isn't the right word. Standard four year degrees are becoming more and more obsolete.

You need to pick up something in addition to the standard bachelors degree. Maybe a second major, a minor, a concentration, a masters. Something.

but some of the blame can be put on these institutions for not providing reliable resources to prepare those students in whatever fields that they choose for getting a good job also

I can understand this. But look at it this way. Maybe students aren't taking advantage of the opportunities given to them. I'm an engineering major at penn state. We have companies who come all the way to campus to do information sessions. We have several companies a week. We have workshops to work on CAD.

These are the events that are always dead. Yet the bars are packed almost every night?

It's this lifestyle that college has become. It's marketed as an "experience" first and an academic institution second.

But I'm talking about the degrees that has zero job market. I know this one dude majoring in dance? Art history?

Last edited:
I feel like my generation is always getting shots thrown at them with the job search. Recent grads need to step up in the workforce. 

http://business.time.com/2013/11/10/the-real-reason-new-college-grads-cant-get-hired/

I'm so happy I pushed my fiance to do summer internships. She's already doing science and math at Yale.

I think we have a set life. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to bring through the table. I'm supporting her through school right now and paying all the bills but I want to do more than that.

What we as young mill's need to realize is that we need to make ourselves valuable

like ninja said

its a different game, a what have you done recently not what you plan on doing for me ( they have a list of those)

think about it, would you hire a fat certified trainer who went through all the hoops but is still fat?

or would you hire a fit trainer, who might have not even got any type of certs?

right off the bat you know what they're about

they've applied themselves, are about the "same thing" but one is clearly more focused

Mills want everything handed to them, we have kids thinking that as long as they play hs, college basketball they'll be kobe in the NBA

but Mills nowadays don't apply themselves, they don't really see an endpoint, no drive
they just go through the hoops and hope something plays out

Mills need to show the drive in anyway possible, start something that involves your desired occp, start a youtube channel hell make it known you at least love that thing so when they see you they identify you with those things that WILL differentiate yourself because Mills don't have drive right?

make them say, "we need joe, look at his drive!"

if Mark Zuckerberg had stayed in school, got his degree and applied would be be hired? hell prob yes right :lol: he did go to harvard
but the fact that he applied himself and started something he was passionate about, and proved it
you mean to tell me he wouldn't get hired if he walked into a company today without a degree?

we are literally living in a new gold rush, except Mills are still rushing towards the old game that DOES not want them

when MILLS don't realize they hold a monopoly on the gold rush, old heads can't enter

There is no such thing as a useless degree. Once again, people look at the major as opposed to what the degree does for you. It's about your skill set and experience. The VP of my department was a History major.

ill put the blame on the grads themselves

this is america, you can literally become successful doing what you love

if a grads dream was get a job in what they know is not a good route, anything not STEM,
then apply yourself if it didn't work out

and tell yourself you're going to become successful doing that and make it happen

damn look at youtube nowadays, you have people getting paid of what they love!

find a way to sell what ever it is you'd like to sell, if you want $$

i agree with almost everything you say and would like to add part of the problem with universities IS the education students receive, mainly through gen ed credits. they are forced to sit through classes they are not interested, all because it "makes them well rounded," which is their definition, not mine or yours. if someone likes that class, they should be able to take it, but they should NOT be forced to sit through them for a graduation requirement. 
+1

I had to take American Popular Music, Asian Art, and other junk when I was a Criminal Justice major
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

People also need to stop getting internships just for the resume. The main reason people with work experience get jobs over more academically qualified people without work experience isnt because of the added section on the resume. its because a smart person will network when at an internship and have a lot more leads than someone who has only gone to college

People also need to stop getting internships just for the resume. The main reason people with work experience get jobs over more academically qualified people without work experience isnt because of the added section on the resume. its because a smart person will network when at an internship and have a lot more leads than someone who has only gone to college

This. I made sure that I was extremely personable at my job and I was remembered before the summer ended during my internships.

This is not a reason but an effect of technology replacing human labor. We need to figure out what to do with ourselves before they invent robot physicians and fully automated mcdonalds
We are already halfway there.

Recently I've witnessed Physicians input my symptoms/illness into a computer during examinations just to regurgitate the results.  
mean.gif

Last edited:

So..... Don't get an internship but network when you're on an internship? Lol what?

Pulling your leg bud.

Goes back to what I was saying, nobody wants to hire a real life squidward

Last edited:

So..... Don't get an internship but network when you're on an internship? Lol what?

Pulling your leg bud.

Goes back to what I was saying, nobody wants to hire a real life squidward
problem is that no one wants a real life squidward working for them but everyone else seems to be a real life patrick

Here's my opinon coming from someone who had a job right out of college and as someone who recruits people straight out of college. Most new graduates just don't know what it means and takes to work in the professional world. I struggled with it as well in my first job right out of the gate. It takes a while for some to understand what it means to be an adult and what it looks like.

Here's my opinon coming from someone who had a job right out of college and as someone who recruits people straight out of college. Most new graduates just don't know what it means and takes to work in the professional world. I struggled with it as well in my first job right out of the gate. It takes a while for some to understand what it means to be an adult and what it looks like.
how can you learn to be a adult without a job to be a adult

We are already halfway there.

Recently I've witnessed Physicians input my symptoms/illness into a computer during examinations just to regurgitate the results.  :smh:

I've had similar experiences with tablet doctors.

u need a connect

had an internship in undergrad doing biomedical science

after i graduated i moved and tried to continue but lost my connect. for years i was doin bs jobs. i even did housekeeping for a couple days and errrytime i tell folks what i used to do in the lab they always say "wow i aint know that was possible in real life, is that even legal"

then i found my old connect and a neuroscientist emailed and called me days later

but this whole issue is beyond stupid

? What ? I have experience doing agricultural research in a lab and field setting, EEG work where I tested, experimented with and programmed the machine in presentation software language, I broke down foods down to nutrition levels, did work on impantable technology(EVEN MADE A PRODUCT) and now working on evolutionary research of fungal genes using databases and BioPython. Still cant find a job
eyes.gif

If I'm doing something wrong PLEASE SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING
Where you live son......Im somewhat trying to do the same thing with Food Science doing research. You every think about working for a college/university. 

I'm Richmond. I will work anywhere that pays in my field for that needed experience
I plan to move to the DMV after school. I'll keep an ear out after I get done talking with different people next week on campus. The job market can't be has bad as you making it seem for a research job.

Internships are some of the only ways you'll get hired. I changed my major halfway into college and couldn't get internships related to my career until after I graduated. It took me 3 internships over 2 years to get an interview for a full time position

Last edited:
What we as young mill's need to realize is that we need to make ourselves valuable

like ninja said

its a different game, a what have you done recently not what you plan on doing for me ( they have a list of those)

think about it, would you hire a fat certified trainer who went through all the hoops but is still fat?

or would you hire a fit trainer, who might have not even got any type of certs?

right off the bat you know what they're about

they've applied themselves, are about the "same thing" but one is clearly more focused

Mills want everything handed to them, we have kids thinking that as long as they play hs, college basketball they'll be kobe in the NBA

but Mills nowadays don't apply themselves, they don't really see an endpoint, no drive
they just go through the hoops and hope something plays out

Mills need to show the drive in anyway possible, start something that involves your desired occp, start a youtube channel hell make it known you at least love that thing so when they see you they identify you with those things that WILL differentiate yourself because Mills don't have drive right?

make them say, "we need joe, look at his drive!"

if Mark Zuckerberg had stayed in school, got his degree and applied would be be hired? hell prob yes right :lol: he did go to harvard
but the fact that he applied himself and started something he was passionate about, and proved it
you mean to tell me he wouldn't get hired if he walked into a company today without a degree?

we are literally living in a new gold rush, except Mills are still rushing towards the old game that DOES not want them

when MILLS don't realize they hold a monopoly on the gold rush, old heads can't enter

I can't read this with all those "mills".

I plan to move to the DMV after school. I'll keep an ear out after I get done talking with different people next week on campus. The job market can't be has bad as you making it seem for a research job.

i did undergrad at Vcu

my internship was in the School of Pharmacy

Back
Top Bottom