The Real Ronaldo - Appreciation Post

My favorite player was always RIVALDO, the dude kissing the cup with him. Both had mean skills. I wish i could have seen both play more often in their prime

My favorite player was always RIVALDO, the dude kissing the cup with him. Both had mean skills. I wish i could have seen both play more often in their prime

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

The best striker during the time he played for sure.

But any comparison against Zidane, and he'll lose. Zidane wiped the floor with him in two World Cups. Sorry, but being out of shape doesn't count as an injury/"when healthy". The shape he was in for the 2006 World Cup was a disgrace. He became the all-time leading scorer in World Cup history and his greatness is worthy of that title, but he should've been in better shape. He was 30 years old. Four years younger than Zidane was in the 2006 WC. Three years younger than Fabio Cannavaro. A year younger than Diego Forlan was in this latest World Cup.
How did Zidane wipe the floor with him? Ronaldo was the best player at the 1998 WC and was voted player of the tournament. Without Ronaldo Brazil wouldnt have made the finals. France made the finals even though Zidane was suspended for more than 2 matches and did nothing in the QFs and Semis. There is a reason why Ronaldo won WPOY in 96, 97 and  he would've won it in 98 if it wasnt a WC year. The funny thing is that Zidane wasnt even voted as the best player on France in the 1998 WC nor did he finish top 5 in voting. Actually, Zidane was voted as France's 3rd best player in that tournament yet for some reason to this day people think he dominated a tournament where he had just 1 standout performance. The fact that Ronaldo was voted player of the tournament in Zidane's home country after Zidane scored 2 goals to win the finals tells you that Ronaldo actually had a better tournament overall.

Not to mention that Ronaldo's 2002 WC performance not only surpasses any of Zidane's WC performances but will go down as one of the greatest in WC history. He scored 8 goals, won the WC and once again reclaimed WPOY after a 2-3 year absence.

Ronaldo's been finished since around 2006 but in his prime he was the best player on the planet.

But any comparison against Zidane, and he'll lose. Zidane wiped the floor with him in two World Cups. Sorry, but being out of shape doesn't count as an injury/"when healthy". The shape he was in for the 2006 World Cup was a disgrace. He became the all-time leading scorer in World Cup history and his greatness is worthy of that title, but he should've been in better shape. He was 30 years old. Four years younger than Zidane was in the 2006 WC. Three years younger than Fabio Cannavaro. A year younger than Diego Forlan was in this latest World Cup.
How did Zidane wipe the floor with him? Ronaldo was the best player at the 1998 WC and was voted player of the tournament. Without Ronaldo Brazil wouldnt have made the finals. France made the finals even though Zidane was suspended for more than 2 matches and did nothing in the QFs and Semis. There is a reason why Ronaldo won WPOY in 96, 97 and  he would've won it in 98 if it wasnt a WC year. The funny thing is that Zidane wasnt even voted as the best player on France in the 1998 WC nor did he finish top 5 in voting. Actually, Zidane was voted as France's 3rd best player in that tournament yet for some reason to this day people think he dominated a tournament where he had just 1 standout performance. The fact that Ronaldo was voted player of the tournament in Zidane's home country after Zidane scored 2 goals to win the finals tells you that Ronaldo actually had a better tournament overall.

Not to mention that Ronaldo's 2002 WC performance not only surpasses any of Zidane's WC performances but will go down as one of the greatest in WC history. He scored 8 goals, won the WC and once again reclaimed WPOY after a 2-3 year absence.

Ronaldo's been finished since around 2006 but in his prime he was the best player on the planet.

Waking up at 5 a.m. in june 2002 and watching Ronaldo redeem himself and show his past brilliance was one of the best sports experiences of my life

when dude scored that first goal against germany in the final i shed a tear
pimp.gif

Waking up at 5 a.m. in june 2002 and watching Ronaldo redeem himself and show his past brilliance was one of the best sports experiences of my life

when dude scored that first goal against germany in the final i shed a tear
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

LOL @ how Zidane wiped the floor with him? They met twice in the World Cup with Brazil losing both times, and Zidane outplaying Ronaldo to the extreme in both games. And in both games, every expert would've said that Brazil were a better team on paper without Ronaldo than France were without Zidane. I guess two games aren't sufficient to show that Zidane wiped the floor with him. Decades pass by where two nations don't play against each other in the World Cup, but in this case we have two examples of two games eight years apart where both players played. What more do you want? Because you sure as hell won't find more World Cup player comparison material to analyze than that.

They wouldn't have made the finals in 98 without him? Hilarious considering that the 98 Brazil squad consisted of several key players who won the whole World Cup in 1994 with Ronaldo watching from the bench. With or without Ronaldo, Brazil were a quality team. Without Zidane, France are so much garbage to a point that it becomes a national scandal and the president of the friggin country has to get involved. And yeah, he had a great 2002 World Cup. Zidane didn't play so Brazil could resume with winning, unlike in 1998 and 2006.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

LOL @ how Zidane wiped the floor with him? They met twice in the World Cup with Brazil losing both times, and Zidane outplaying Ronaldo to the extreme in both games. And in both games, every expert would've said that Brazil were a better team on paper without Ronaldo than France were without Zidane. I guess two games aren't sufficient to show that Zidane wiped the floor with him. Decades pass by where two nations don't play against each other in the World Cup, but in this case we have two examples of two games eight years apart where both players played. What more do you want? Because you sure as hell won't find more World Cup player comparison material to analyze than that.

They wouldn't have made the finals in 98 without him? Hilarious considering that the 98 Brazil squad consisted of several key players who won the whole World Cup in 1994 with Ronaldo watching from the bench. With or without Ronaldo, Brazil were a quality team. Without Zidane, France are so much garbage to a point that it becomes a national scandal and the president of the friggin country has to get involved. And yeah, he had a great 2002 World Cup. Zidane didn't play so Brazil could resume with winning, unlike in 1998 and 2006.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Pele/Maradona/Ronaldo - top 3 of all time.

When people say "Ronaldo" to me only one player comes to mind.
Truth carnal. There will only be one Ronaldo. People just don't know
grin.gif

grin.gif

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

One of my favourites
ronaldo_shirtless.jpg
Ok so he put on some "life" weight...AND??? For those who can remember he was Futbol's prodigal son for awhile. Dude has other top stars named after him...dinho means little in Portuguese...so Ronaldhino actually means lil Ronaldo...sorta like a superstar being called Baby Jordan. 

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

One of my favourites
ronaldo_shirtless.jpg
Ok so he put on some "life" weight...AND??? For those who can remember he was Futbol's prodigal son for awhile. Dude has other top stars named after him...dinho means little in Portuguese...so Ronaldhino actually means lil Ronaldo...sorta like a superstar being called Baby Jordan. 

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

sick 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Adrian1221

sick 
pimp.gif

You point to Zidane's injury absence from the WC in 2002 as a reason for Ronaldo shining but ignore the FACT that Ronaldo suffered a seizure the night before the 1998 finals and was deemed unfit to participate in the match? So can we say that the only reason France won the 1998 finals is due to Ronaldo's poor health? He was the best player in that tournament after all...
http://sportsillustrated..../14/ronaldo_convulsions/

So you are unwilling to acknowledge that:
-Zidane's impact was minimal in the 1998 WC leading up to the finals? 0 goals, 1 assist, sent off in the 2nd half vs. Saudi Arabia, suspended for 1 group stage match and the round-of-16...comes back vs. Italy in 0-0 draw that France won on penalties, watches Lilian Thuram score 2 goals vs. Croatia in the semis.
-Ronaldo was unhealthy for the 98 finals (but Zidane's injury is the reason Brazil won in 02?)
-Ronaldo's 2002 WC performance far outshines Zidane's 98 and 06 WC performances?

Lets not act like Zidane is invincible now. The guy made the same number of WC finals as Ronaldo (2), won as many WCs as a starter as Ronaldo (1), but he won 1 Golden Ball compared to 2 by Ronaldo. Zidane was healthy for the 04 Euros and didnt win...Zidane was healthy for the 2006 WC and didnt win. The idea that Zidane was better than Ronaldo is largely based on Zidane's longevity. He was consistent for nearly a decade while Ronaldo was a beast for about 4-5 years, sat out 2-3 years due to injury, had 2 more excellent seasons before becoming obese.

BTW, soccer isnt like basketball where you can say 1 player destroyed another...especially when we're talking about 2 opposing attacking players who rarely ever even come into contact with one another. It's not like Ronaldo was guarding Zidane in their 2 WC encounters. If you are going to point out what the "experts" say then atleast acknowledge these same experts selected Ronaldo as the best player in the 98 WC...I mean, these same experts selected Zidane as the best player in the 06 WC.

You point to Zidane's injury absence from the WC in 2002 as a reason for Ronaldo shining but ignore the FACT that Ronaldo suffered a seizure the night before the 1998 finals and was deemed unfit to participate in the match? So can we say that the only reason France won the 1998 finals is due to Ronaldo's poor health? He was the best player in that tournament after all...
http://sportsillustrated..../14/ronaldo_convulsions/

So you are unwilling to acknowledge that:
-Zidane's impact was minimal in the 1998 WC leading up to the finals? 0 goals, 1 assist, sent off in the 2nd half vs. Saudi Arabia, suspended for 1 group stage match and the round-of-16...comes back vs. Italy in 0-0 draw that France won on penalties, watches Lilian Thuram score 2 goals vs. Croatia in the semis.
-Ronaldo was unhealthy for the 98 finals (but Zidane's injury is the reason Brazil won in 02?)
-Ronaldo's 2002 WC performance far outshines Zidane's 98 and 06 WC performances?

Lets not act like Zidane is invincible now. The guy made the same number of WC finals as Ronaldo (2), won as many WCs as a starter as Ronaldo (1), but he won 1 Golden Ball compared to 2 by Ronaldo. Zidane was healthy for the 04 Euros and didnt win...Zidane was healthy for the 2006 WC and didnt win. The idea that Zidane was better than Ronaldo is largely based on Zidane's longevity. He was consistent for nearly a decade while Ronaldo was a beast for about 4-5 years, sat out 2-3 years due to injury, had 2 more excellent seasons before becoming obese.

BTW, soccer isnt like basketball where you can say 1 player destroyed another...especially when we're talking about 2 opposing attacking players who rarely ever even come into contact with one another. It's not like Ronaldo was guarding Zidane in their 2 WC encounters. If you are going to point out what the "experts" say then atleast acknowledge these same experts selected Ronaldo as the best player in the 98 WC...I mean, these same experts selected Zidane as the best player in the 06 WC.

Originally Posted by KRISPACINLA

grin.gif

but C.Ronaldo is number 1 in the world today!
wink.gif

Zidane/Maradona/Ronaldo - top 3 of all time.

grin.gif

wink.gif

Originally Posted by kobe8is

grin.gif

wink.gif

On which planet? The same one where Messi has out-scored and out-assisted Ronaldo in 2 consecutive seasons (and counting), won WPOY ahead of Ronaldo, was short-listed to WPOY again this year, and the same planet where Messi has helped his team defeat Ronaldo's teams in 4 straight matches OR...your own world?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kobe8is

grin.gif

wink.gif

On which planet? The same one where Messi has out-scored and out-assisted Ronaldo in 2 consecutive seasons (and counting), won WPOY ahead of Ronaldo, was short-listed to WPOY again this year, and the same planet where Messi has helped his team defeat Ronaldo's teams in 4 straight matches OR...your own world?
laugh.gif

I'm not saying that Zidane is perfect, no player is but there are more examples of Ronaldo's imperfection than Zidane's. In fact, his imperfections (compared to Zidane's) are getting exposed as we speak. I mean, the guy is the same age that Zidane was in the 06 World Cup RIGHT NOW, and he was 30 in the 2006 WC itself.

Can we say that the only reason France won is because of Ronaldo's poor health? Nah, son. You must have that confused with the 2006 WC final and Italy winning because of Zidane being ejected. Brazil took a 3-0 beating by France that day, not some 90 + 30 extra time penalty shootout win by the edge of their fingernails. And Ronaldo can have his 98 player of the tournament. Zidane was still named to the best team of the tournament, man of the match of the final and the trophy itself. And he won the ballon by a record amount of points for that year.

And once and for all, stop acting like Ronaldo's *%** didn't stink throughout the 1998 tournament. He scored 4 goals. Ooh, what a difference. Zidane scored 2 goals. In the most important game of the tournament. As a midfielder. In one match less.

But the 98 final aside, a 30 year-old Ronaldo had a chance to redeem himself against a 34 year-old Zidane in the 2006 WC. And he did no such thing, with Zidane being the man of the match again. The fact remains that the dude got eliminated twice by Zidane and Zidane got eliminated none times by him.

And Pele/Maradona/Zidane is most definitely the top 3 in history.

Back
Top Bottom