The RPG Thread -> 2023 was a banner year for RPGs. What was your favorite?

What is your RPG of 2022?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Stranger of Paradise: FF Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

• Pokemon Acreus

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Fire Emblem Warriors

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Other (Please note with a thread post and let us know!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The wait to see what happens in FF7R Part III is going to feel like an eternity :lol:

A lot of music I listen to reminds me of games; you get the real visceral nostalgia.

I was super in to Korn as a teen :rofl: and whenever I hear the Issues album I think of Vandal Hearts, as I played that CD on repeat when I played.

But for games played when actually listening to their soundtracks, it reminds me so much of that time. The world map music from FF IX reminds me of my bedroom at my parents, the Zanarkand theme reminds me of my first girlfriend and playing on two TV's in her basement.

The main problem with newer FF games for me is that they dont have any memorable BGM. FFXVI is going down as one of my favorite FF games so far but i havent heard one song that was memorable.

The main problem with newer FF games for me is that they dont have any memorable BGM. FFXVI is going down as one of my favorite FF games so far but i havent heard one song that was memorable.
I guess the whole issue started when they incorporated more voice acting dialogue. the FF music on earlier games carried the sense of the game.

I have to replay FF IX but it could honestly end up in my top 3-4.

1. FF VI
2. FF X
3. IX or XVI???

Last edited:
I haven’t finished but the game is indeed that good. I’d still put it behind 6,7, and 9 for my own personal bias but it’s delivering. The game is action packed and the storyline is proper. I just wish I had more time right now for it. My schedule makes it hard for me to do a decent sit down session these days. Wish I had this during covid when I had time to kill. I dunno how people claim the battle system is inferior to XV or 7R. Unless you’re using the automated easy-mode rings the combat is totally hand’s-on in terms or stringing together combos while mixing in abilities (basically LB’s if you have the 1600+ points abilities equipped.) Very satisfying combat, Eikon battles are epic and the story never really drags. I don’t love the fast-travel everywhere aspect but I get why they had to condense the environments or else we would be waiting another year or 2 and a extra disc to get a fully open world environment. XV was dope but they left a lot on the table and still had to abandon the open world to get the game out despite 7 year development. Look at GTAV, they’re spending 10+ years still trying to come out with a successor to it. I didn’t have kids when GTA5 came out and now my son is playing it just like I did in 2013.

Last edited:
I don’t want to be a prisoner of the moment but I think it’s really good. The only downside is that the performance wasn’t great. Then they released a patch like 2 weeks later and I can’t quite understand why they didn’t just delay it a few weeks. Don’t get me wrong, the performance still isn’t what I was hoping for which was 1440p/60fps locked but the story is the best story since FF X (not including FF XIV) and Clive is the best protagonist since Zidane, imo. The OST is great too but if you’re like me, it’s hard for me to focus on it while also trying to fight. It’s the same issue I noticed with FROM Software games. I get so focused on boss fights and trying not to die that I don’t hear the music. I then go back and hear the theme and wonder when the hell the song played or what game it’s from :lol:

is action packed and the storyline is proper. I just wish I had more time right now for it. My schedule makes it hard for me to do a decent sit down session these days. Wish I had this during covid when I had time to kill. I dunno how people claim the battle system is inferior to XV or 7R. Unless you’re using the automated easy-mode rings the combat is totally hand’s-on in terms or stringing together combos while mixing in abilities (basically LB’s if you have the 1600+ points abilities equipped.) Very satisfying combat, Eikon battles are epic and the story never really drags. I don’t love the fast-travel everywhere aspect but I get why they had to condense the environments or else we would be waiting another year or 2 and a extra disc to get a fully open worl

Combat system is, imo, 100% inferior to VIIR. Its pretty mindless tbh.

Stringing combos are pretty easy. Its honestly just button mashing, even without the rings.

The game is also VERY easy.

You get like 15 potions combined its ridiculous. Not once did I ever have to play cautiously because I could just spam potions so many times. There was no boss fights in this game that was challenging. I could easily tank attacks and then just spam a potion lol.

I’m looking forward to finishing up my Hard playthrough on FF7R because the talks about how good the combat is has me intrigued. I don’t remember being that impressed with it. The magic was definitely better though. In XVI it just seems like it’s there just for the sake of it :lol:

XVI is definitely in my top 3. The presentation is outstanding imo. I didnt know what to expect from it and its delivered on all fronts. Except the BGM 😂.

I’m looking forward to finishing up my Hard playthrough on FF7R because the talks about how good the combat is has me intrigued. I don’t remember being that impressed with it. The magic was definitely better though. In XVI it just seems like it’s there just for the sake of it :lol:

I think what makes FF7R combat so brilliant was how they modernized the turn based gameplay into something more fast paced without losing the OG feel of it.

It truly is a great mix between the old turn based combat and action hack n slash.

1689171086310.png

1689171116525.png

Look at this hater. jetpacunlimited jetpacunlimited

:lol:

I think what makes FF7R combat so brilliant was how they modernized the turn based gameplay into something more fast paced without losing the OG feel of it.

It truly is a great mix between the old turn based combat and action hack n slash.

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. Classic mode was preferable to me, but I felt the combat, especially on the harder difficulty was like babies first Street Fighter. Waiting for the right moments, knowing what attacks were more effective for that fight, cancelling attacks with parry or block, hammering combos out. Its like the antithesis of a turn-based combat system relying on split second timing. I understand time slows for certain actions, but it really changed the identity of the combat for me.

Let me say, I LIKED the combat in FF VII Remake. I would have preferred something a little less action oriented, but its made me no less excited for the sequel. I also understand this combat system probably made the game more accessible to a ton of people, and it was the right decision by the developers.

I feel like between Remake, XVI, and XV there has to be a middle ground that might work a bit better, but I certainly understand I seem to be in the minority on this one.

XVI is great, I am about 30 hours in. Id say its probably top 5-7 for me as is.

We don't want to hear from anybody who got less than 5 hours played :lol:

I mean…..it sounds like people mostly agree :lol:

You know me, I like everything and am open to changing my opinion down the road but it seems very average. And back to my turn based comment, along with what has been mentioned here, I would rather there be more innovation there so we can have a better chance of actually absorbing the game as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom