The RPG Thread -> 2023 was a banner year for RPGs. What was your favorite?

What is your RPG of 2022?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Stranger of Paradise: FF Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

• Pokemon Acreus

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Fire Emblem Warriors

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Other (Please note with a thread post and let us know!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is actually the first RPG ive played where i decided to do all of the side quests before finishing the main story. I just skip the cutscenes of the quest to save time.

Hate? You trying to ebeef with me over a video game?

How did you even convert my comment about wanting a deep RPG with FF into a TOTK rant? lol bruh what are you even on?

How are you even comparing those two game in the first place?

You do know I love Persona and Octopath right?
chillax…
No Ebeef just thought it was funny that you concluded XVI battle system a DMC clone while crowning ToTK despite it being the most basic bare-bones hack-slack battle mechanics out there. For the record, I don’t think the games are a 1:1 comparison but I do find fights in XVI far more satisfying than those in Zelda. Lynel fights are the only challenge and it’s mainly due to how hard they hit, but you can literally cook and enhance your way through basically anything in that game.

No Ebeef just thought it was funny that you concluded XVI battle system a DMC clone while crowning ToTK despite it being the most basic bare-bones hack-slack battle mechanics out there. For the record, I don’t think the games are a 1:1 comparison but I do find fights in XVI far more satisfying than those in Zelda. Lynel fights are the only challenge and it’s mainly due to how hard they hit, but you can literally cook and enhance your way through basically anything in that game.

I concur fights in FF are better by far than TOTK… But that’s not why I gave TOTK so much praise. I expected a lot more RPG in FF and it disappoints in that area.

I should have finished TotK before FF XVI released. I like it a lot but now I'm at the point where I just kind of want to beat it. The combat isn't fun at all, the depths and sky islands are disappointing, imo. The story is a lot more interesting compared to BotW though. I got 70 hours logged so far so I definitely got my money's worth. As far as FF XVI, it's my GotY. I knew it was going to be action-oriented and was already cool with it. Like I stated previously, I don't think we're ever getting a mainline turn based FF game, especially if CBU3 continues to develop them.

With so many JRPGs getting remaster, remakes, or just simple releases on console, can we get Lufia and Lufia 2? I can't find a method other than emulation to play either of them currently.

With so many JRPGs getting remaster, remakes, or just simple releases on console, can we get Lufia and Lufia 2? I can't find a method other than emulation to play either of them currently.
It’s funny cause I don’t ain’t familiar with these games. I was grinding the 200 lightning dodge trophy in FF X back in 2014 and came across this absolute banger and have been interested since. I think I may have added them to my SNES mini but haven’t tried them yet.

I find the lack of Baldur's Gate 3 in this thread interesting. It looks like the most RPG-*** RPG ever made. This thread definitely seems to skew towards the Jrpg's, so I kinda get it.

But what's the hype level for everyone here? I don't really play RPG's, but I want to check it out.

(Also, Zelda is not an RPG. Not even a little bit)

Man, I am all in on Baldur's Gate 3. I am still deciding if I will pre-order, but it will be played regardless.

It just so happens some of the cross posting between this thread and the console threads gets missed, I am guessing that's the reason you havent seen it much in here. We usually only have 10 or so thread regulars posting, with the odd other contributor.

The other thing is medieval fantasy can be hit or miss. Some people are all in, while it can be a deterrent to some.

Zelda is definitely an action/adventure game but does get some cross-over due to a few RPG elements. While not an RPG, it does hit some very familiar cords with RPG fans.

I was interested in it. In fact I almost just bought it on Steam. Then I saw it’s one of those 100+ hour games with 17k (I’m sure this is exaggerated) endings. Then it was all this infatuation with the bear pounding and I just had to bow out. I have way too many games that are coming and also in the backlog.

I want to play Baldur's Gate 3 for sure but it's one of those games I really have to focus on and be in the mood for to lock into and I don't know if I have it in me right now :lol:

Will end up getting it eventually

I’m at about 60 hours in FF XVI. I’ve finished all the side quests and hunts. I’m cleaning up a few trophies and then I’ll go ahead and beat it.

I find the lack of Baldur's Gate 3 in this thread interesting. It looks like the most RPG-*** RPG ever made. This thread definitely seems to skew towards the Jrpg's, so I kinda get it.

But what's the hype level for everyone here? I don't really play RPG's, but I want to check it out.

(Also, Zelda is not an RPG. Not even a little bit)
I've had Baldur Gate purchase since alpha. I'm down to get a story going if we can be consistent with playing it

I finished Final Fantasy XVI last night. I will put it in my top 5 FF games. As someone who is extremely close with his siblings, this story hit different for me. I damn near got a bit teary eyed last night.

+ story, plot
+ the OST
+ characters, supporting cast
+ fantasy
+ boss battles
that fight with Titan was nuts!! That might be my favorite boss battle in a Final Fantasy game. It reminded me of the fight with ExDeath in FF XIV. Then they followed it up with a phenomenal fight with Bahamut :smokin

- side quests are boring aside from a select few; fetch quests, similar to FF XIV (MMO)
-
lack of super bosses
- legendary gear just didn’t have any feeling of accomplishment, you just “get it” without any real work
- final boss fight was kinda meh

9/10

Back
Top Bottom