The RPG Thread -> 2023 was a banner year for RPGs. What was your favorite?

What is your RPG of 2022?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Stranger of Paradise: FF Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

• Pokemon Acreus

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Fire Emblem Warriors

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Other (Please note with a thread post and let us know!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would welcome a 8 remake just see them ditch the Junctioning system for a more modern style of play. That crap was so bad, I think I spammed GF’s most of the game because Junctioning was such a cluster-****.
I didn't like the junctioning system on 8 but learned to appreciate it as I progressed. it wasn't that far-off from the junctioning on 7 so I wasn't that lost.

My hidden gem of the year has been Cassette Beasts. Would be my game of the year of Tears of the Kingdom didn’t come out this year.

I haven’t got a chance to play yet but it feels like Sea of Stars kind of came and went and people stopped talking about it.
It’s a good game but it suffers from what all indie games suffer from - generic story and unpolished dialogue.

Really wish they would spend some of the budget hiring an actual writer instead of letting a dev do it

1699410482165.png

I'm just sitting here with a grin on my face after reading that comment :lol:

I just started playing Octopath Traveler II and put in about 5 hours so far. It's really good and the music is :smokin

Grandia | PS4, PS5

The classic PS1 RPG returns, featuring a ground-breaking strategic battle system and more than 80 magic spells and techniques to master. Take the role of Justin, a young boy obsessed with becoming a great adventurer, who inherits a magic stone that leads him on an epic journey to uncover the mystery of a long lost civilization in this classic RPG.

Meet an exciting cast of characters who join you along the way and unravel the mysteries of this ancient legend. This version is enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters

After investigation... it seems like they are just releasing the first Grandia as a classic?

Why not just get the HD Collection on Playstation platforms?

Either way, I will be playing one the most underrated JRPG's ever. :nthat:

Some bangers this month, too. Dragon's Dogma and Eiyuden Chronicles are good games.

Yeah I’m not sure why they didn’t do the HD Collection but this is an instacop for me. Grandia music is so dope too!

:lol:

Do you spend much time in the JRPG Reddit? Some of the worst opinions voiced almost daily, along with at least one thread on rating Final Fantasy games.

This is not an unusual post for any game on that Reddit, but I can see some legitimate critiques in the comments.

I feel like if the combat hits for you, a lot can be forgiven. If you don't like it, it can be a slog.

With that said, Id rather spend all day looking at /JRPG than 5 minutes on Resetera.

Last edited:
:lol:

Do you spend much time in the JRPG Reddit? Some of the worst opinions voiced almost daily, along with at least one thread on rating Final Fnatasy games.

This is not an unusual post for any game on that Reddit, but I can see some legitimate critiques in the comments.

I feel like if the combat hits for you, a lot can be forgiven. If you don't like it, it can be a slog.

With that said, Id rather spend all day looking at /JRPG than 5 minutes on Resetera.
You just described every subreddit ever :rofl:

It’s definitely an echo chamber so I don’t pay attention unless the topic interests me. I was just looking for some confirmation bias on Sea of Stars. I agree with most of the criticisms that are being brought up and am struggling to pick the game back up 15 hours in after not playing it for a few weeks.

Completely different game, but that was me with Cyberpunk. I pushed through it last month and finally finished it, but it really didnt click for me. That game has gone through huge pre-release praise, then crazy criticism, then back to praise after the big patch.

I am a little higher on Sea of Stars than you, but I have been looking at Sabotage Studios kind of like Tokyo RPG Factory when they made I Am Setsuna. This was their proof of concept and it is actually pretty good. Now, can they improve with their second game? Tokyo RPG Factory couldn't but I have hope we see the next game improve the story and get a little more in-depth when it comes to combat.

As I play through Octopath Traveler II, I’m not sure how Sea of Stars reviewed better. I liked what I played of SoS but it didn’t feel like the great game it was hyped up to be. I still would like to finish it but I have a decent amount of other games I’d like to beat first .

OTII is the superior game in my eyes, 100%.

I'd venture it is my favorite game so far this year, outside of the Pixel Remasters.

Back
Top Bottom