The RPG Thread -> 2023 was a banner year for RPGs. What was your favorite?

What is your RPG of 2022?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Stranger of Paradise: FF Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

• Pokemon Acreus

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Fire Emblem Warriors

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Other (Please note with a thread post and let us know!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My thoughts on FF 16 - just left phoenix gate after defeating Ifrit and unlocking limit break so still kind of at the beginning.
Enjoying the game so far but mostly just because of the story and cinematics in cutscenes/boss fights.
I think the game needs improvement in a lot of areas.
Trying to string together combos is fun but I think it would be better with controlling the entire party. Why only Torgal? I liked FF 7 Remakes system better.
I get Clive is a bearer but being able to spam magic is strange. I think there should at least be a charge bar or something.
No elemental or status effects?
I get open world would take years maybe even a decade, but I kind of wish the zones had more to explore.

^^Yeah there is something off about the gameplay. I can’t quite put my figure on it. Seems spammy and more bark than bite in terms of what is actually going on but I am only about 5 hours in. Agree with the rest. Overall the game is exceptional.

I really do miss old school turn based though. Gives you more time to actually take the game in.

You probably should spoiler tag some of that stuff.

I’m glad they didn’t go open world. The zones remind me of FF XII and I appreciate that. I can only play so many open world games before I get burned out.

Reactions: ace
^^Yeah there is something off about the gameplay. I can’t quite put my figure on it. Seems spammy and more bark than bite in terms of what is actually going on but I am only about 5 hours in. Agree with the rest. Overall the game is exceptional.

I really do miss old school turn based though. Gives you more time to actually take the game in.
Turn based? Go play World of Final Fantasy :lol:. Those days are over for FF. I don’t think we’ve had a true traditional turn based FF since FF X. Y’all just need to learn to chain together your combos and git gud :smokin

Turn based? Go play World of Final Fantasy :lol:. Those days are over for FF. I don’t think we’ve had a true traditional turn based FF since FF X. Y’all just need to learn to chain together your combos and git gud :smokin

GASP

IMG_8966.gif

Doesn't need to be turned base. FF 7 remake wasn't and had a better battle system imo.

I like turn based games but I'm fine with anything as long as the game mechanics is not a hot mess.

Bruh the fight with
Titan
is insane 🤯

I feel like he got some extra love since he’s
in FF XIV. They did him justice.

Why stop there? Lets make Final Fantasy a Gacha game!

I thought SE had me covered with my hate of anything new and love of old turn-based games with Tokyo RPG Factory, but outside of Setsuna they have been disappointing.

So SE needs to stop everything and make a 100 million dollar, AAA turn-base RPG. For me, and the tens of others who demand it.

Haha I should say that I’d be excited as hell if Final Fantasy XVII was revealed and it was traditionally turn based. I just gave up on it years ago. It’s been over 20 years.

I used to be like that with JRPGs in general. I didn’t want to play anything that wasn’t FF. Then I accepted anything that was from Square. After a while, I realize there were other great JRPGs out there. You just have to be open minded, imo.

Haha I should say that I’d be excited as hell if Final Fantasy XVII was revealed and it was traditionally turn based. I just gave up on it years ago. It’s been over 20 years.

I used to be like that with JRPGs in general. I didn’t want to play anything that wasn’t FF. Then I accepted anything that was from Square. After a while, I realize there were other great JRPGs out there. You just have to be open minded, imo.
The only non-square JRPG’s I dabbled in were the first 2 Wild Arms and a couple of Tales games. IMO SNES-PSX was the golden age. Played most of those via roms, Illusions of Gaia, Terranigma etc. Wasn’t a fan of Xenoblade series and Persona sounds like too much of a time-sink. I do want to play Suikoden 1and 2 at some point but the backlog has that at least a year out. I’ll also need a fast forward emulator to sped up the grinding. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were 2 decent JRPG’s during the Xbox 360 era, storylines were trash tho. I meant to play Dragonquest 11 but song my switch before getting around to it.

Last edited:
I have no complaints about XVI, it is it’s own game and with flaws and all I think they hit a home run. Nostalgia wishes they used varieties of materia and magic like my favorite games but I appreciate that they stuck to their own recipe and didn’t copy/paste from the past.

The only non-square JRPG’s I dabbled in were the first 2 Wild Arms and a couple of Tales games. IMO SNES-PSX was the golden age. Played most of those via roms, Illusions of Gaia, Terranigma etc. Wasn’t a fan of Xenoblade series and Persona sounds like too much of a time-sink. I do want to play Suikoden 1and 2 at some point but the backlog has that at least a year out. I’ll also need a fast forward emulator to sped up the grinding. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were 2 decent JRPG’s during the Xbox 360 era, storylines were trash tho. I meant to play Dragonquest 11 but song my switch before getting around to it.
not a fan of Xenoblade either. however, after trying it out, it is quite good. for me, it's more of a preference than actually the games from other publishers are bad which is not really the case. one that I have a love-hate relationship is Monster Hunter. maybe because the game has that tendency to become a repetitive grinding game.

not a fan of Xenoblade either. however, after trying it out, it is quite good. for me, it's more of a preference than actually the games from other publishers are bad which is not really the case. one that I have a love-hate relationship is Monster Hunter. maybe because the game has that tendency to become a repetitive grinding game.
I tried the last Monster Hunter demo and realized it’s not for me. I need more context to why I’m doing what I’m doing. It just felt like doing FF beast hunt side quests with no real backstory behind it. It ls fun but I need more lore to make it feel more fulfilling.

I tried the last Monster Hunter demo and realized it’s not for me. I need more context to why I’m doing what I’m doing. It just felt like doing FF beast hunt side quests with no real backstory behind it. It ls fun but I need more lore to make it feel more fulfilling.
that is exactly my impression of the game. like for what? it is reminiscent of those mmorpg that I used to play from way back. I only played it quite a few times to kill time when I was doing some graveyard shift.

Reactions: ace
Wow I wish someone would have told me…

FFXVI asking the important existential questions. Can we afford to be fighting WWIII when the blight lurks over all the land?

Wow I wish someone would have told me…

FFXVI asking the important existential questions. Can we afford to be fighting WWIII when the blight lurks over all the land?
Mankind is too shortsighted to look at the broader spectrum. It’s the story of humanity in general. Beef with who you have have problems with today history be damned.

Persona 5 was the last turn based game I played but before that it was child of light then back to ff10. Before that it was jrpg’s constantly. Lunar 1 and 2 were my favorites as a youngin.
Star Ocean Till The End Of Time was the first non turn based jrpg I have ever played

The costly abilities in XVI are basically limit breaks. They take forever to charge but hit like a truck when used. Most of the key things fans love about FF are in this game, they just don’t spell it out for you.

My thoughts on FF 16 - just left phoenix gate after defeating Ifrit and unlocking limit break so still kind of at the beginning.
Enjoying the game so far but mostly just because of the story and cinematics in cutscenes/boss fights.
I think the game needs improvement in a lot of areas.
Trying to string together combos is fun but I think it would be better with controlling the entire party. Why only Torgal? I liked FF 7 Remakes system better.
I get Clive is a bearer but being able to spam magic is strange. I think there should at least be a charge bar or something.
No elemental or status effects?
I get open world would take years maybe even a decade, but I kind of wish the zones had more to explore.
FF16 just feels like a weird game; it’s both expensive but also cheap I’m a lot of areas and it’s basically just a single player mmo game which makes sense given the team that made it.

I gave it an 83-84 but maybe they should’ve take. Another year and implemented actual gear that matters, add more depth to the combat to make it less spammy, and just make things overall more meaningful.

Also the game isn’t remotely hard once you get the hang of the abilities , but they think having spongy bosses is a “challenge “

One thing I noticed is platinum games helped out and tbh I wonder how much they actually did. Cause this feels like a platinum game. Liek astral chain etc

If they change this outcome I’d be highly disappointed. They did a great job of building her up as a likable character. Sephiroth doing what he does literally sets the tone for the rest of the game, it would also throw the events of game off if they changed that outcome given what Aerith is able to do. I’m trying not to go full spoiler but if you haven’t played a game damn near 30 years old, it ain’t a spoiler anymore tbh.

Back
Top Bottom