"The Shoe Bubble"

Basically...

1. Why do you think that the "Shoe Game" (for intensive purposes) has grown so much popularity over the last 2 years?

2. Will it ever end? If so, when? 

--> Not necessarily a specific date or time. But possibly when something ceases to exist, or a value is not held as highly. (i.e. celebrities wearing Jordans and/or companies doing exclusive callabos)

*I understand that many NT'ers don't believe in the idea of the "Shoe Game" but for the purpose of the thread, comply please. You can state that you don't believe in it but please refrain from elaborating.

Discuss please...

Last edited:
barring a catastrophic global disaster that changes human culture and eliminates consumerism . . . we will continue to see the same release madness for future Lebron Retro releases . . .

it should die down once all the people hoarding shoes start trying to sell them.

Social Media is the answer.

1st thing the newbies do when the get a pair is go on twitter , facebook , instagram etc. to show off their new shoes. Celebs do it too , and since we live in attention whoring age everbody wants their shine or 15 minutes of fame

Social Media is the answer.
1st thing the newbies do when the get a pair is go on twitter , facebook , instagram etc. to show off their new shoes. Celebs do it too , and since we live in attention whoring age everbody wants their shine or 15 minutes of fame
^^^THIS! X10
mean.gif

The bubble will eventually burst, look at the housing market 6 to 10 years ago people never thought that the bubble would burst now look at it..... We will eventually see a decline in JB it is pure economics, what goes up must come down and vice versa....

The bubble will eventually burst, look at the housing market 6 to 10 years ago people never thought that the bubble would burst now look at it..... We will eventually see a decline in JB it is pure economics, what goes up must come down and vice versa....

agreed that economics are cyclical and fashion follows that same model/trend but at a quicker pace. Nike and Jordan Brand has definitely stood the test of time, so I'm not saying they will fall into irrelevance, but I think it's safe to predict a dip in widespread interest within the a year or two. Casual, less expensive shoes might impact market share more: vans, Toms, even Nike's own take - the Roshe.

There will inevitably be annual releases that will cause more buzz than others (2013 XI Columbia release?), but I picture the resale market in particular leveling off. With the amount of competition, anyone can become a "reseller" nowadays, I don't think you'll see folks continuing to charge 150-200% of shoe value for a VNDS pair of general releases. I know some kids out there still holding Fire Red IVs like they're Apple shares and trying to optimize their "investment".

Last edited:
I created a thread similar to this. But it was more about me clearing out my collection right now w/ shoe bubble prices and planning (hoping) to buy the same collection for less once the bubble pops.

I can't wait for these kids/people who just jumped onto Shoes like its the latest Fad (like comic books, sports cards, pokemon cards etc) and have to unload their DS shoes in mass quantifies thus resulting in lower, reasonable prices. I shall call it the Great Shoe Diaspora and all will be well again.

Of course everything goes in cycles but more kids and newbies have been put on too j's and everybody won't stop buying them. I do think the re sale market will suffer the most . But a whole new generation are hipped to rocking jays now. Back in the mid 00's almost everything sat because the youngsters weren't really on too jays like that. but with social media and every celeb twit picing everything that comes out that has changed in a major way. i can see things dying down but the game will never be the same .

Of course everything goes in cycles but more kids and newbies have been put on too j's and everybody won't stop buying them. I do think the re sale market will suffer the most . But a whole new generation are hipped to rocking jays now. Back in the mid 00's almost everything sat because the youngsters weren't really on too jays like that. but with social media and every celeb twit picing everything that comes out that has changed in a major way. i can see things dying down but the game will never be the same .

But don't you think once celebs get tired of J's, they'll stop twitpic(ing) and the young sheep will follow the next trend. (i.e. every rapper in the 2000's rocking jerseys, there were at least 5 stores dedicated to jerseys in the mall, now we're lucky to find One)

I think the bubble has already burst to some degree.

The "shoe game" isn't a monolith. Go back 7-10 years and you had an AF1 bubble, with women's invisibles and stuff. That burst. The AF1 market is weak as hell now. (I love it). Then, the dunk/SB bubble grew, but that popped too - I've been picking up a lot of dunks for quite cheap recently.

The Jordan market is probably the most stable of all, but even that ebbs and flows.

The Foam market used to be non-existent - with pairs sitting forever and getting marked down. Even those black neons and reds from like 2006 were still sitting like bricks. Now, that market blew up. It will collapse.

At some point, Dunks and AF1s will become hot again. It's all cyclical. So, it's less about one big bubble and more like a shell game. If you're a serious collector in it for the long haul and not for e-props, the best thing to do is treat it like the actual market and buy low. If you like AF1s and Dunks, you should be buying them now. If you like Foams, you should be waiting for the hype spotlight to shine elsewhere.

All that said, remember, the prices you see listed for items are the prices of things NOT selling. If they sold, you wouldn't see the listings anymore. A lot of people think their kicks are really valuable and are in a rude awakening when they try to sell them and find out that very few actually pay "list price."

It will always amaze me that while we are in "a recision" the lines for sneakers seems to grow in spite of the ever growing prices. In line for the Fire Red IV's earlier this month, kids were bragging about how they're using their student loan money to cop all the new Jordans / Lebrons / KD's / Kobe's. I agree with everyone that between Social Media and Social "status" has caused this monster called "the shoe game" to grow continually out of control. Will it stop? Probably not any time soon. We can only hope.

It will always amaze me that while we are in "a recision" the lines for sneakers seems to grow in spite of the ever growing prices. In line for the Fire Red IV's earlier this month, kids were bragging about how they're using their student loan money to cop all the new Jordans / Lebrons / KD's / Kobe's. I agree with everyone that between Social Media and Social "status" has caused this monster called "the shoe game" to grow continually out of control. Will it stop? Probably not any time soon. We can only hope.

...Is that any different than spending it on Natty Ice and ping pong balls though?

I get your overall point and agree, but the self-righteous judgment of the way others spend their money gets into murky, culturally and racially charged waters quite quickly. When you tell other people how to spend their money, it can get hard to draw the line. Some people flip out if people use food stamps to buy anything but rice and oatmeal. The judging of others for buying expensive sneakers given their station in life treads on this same dangerous road, so it's a tough subject to broach.

...Is that any different than spending it on Natty Ice and ping pong balls though?
I get your overall point and agree, but the self-righteous judgment of the way others spend their money gets into murky, culturally and racially charged waters quite quickly. When you tell other people how to spend their money, it can get hard to draw the line. Some people flip out if people use food stamps to buy anything but rice and oatmeal. The judging of others for buying expensive sneakers given their station in life treads on this same dangerous road, so it's a tough subject to broach.

Yes I also understand where you are coming from. While student loan money is of course their own to choose how they would like to spend it, it is just sad for me to see money for the future get used to gain a higher social rank rather than the way it was originally intended. It is hard not to come off as judgmental though, I understand. Trust me, I have made plenty of regrettable financial decisions regarding shoes myself, as has everyone else.

But don't you think once celebs get tired of J's, they'll stop twitpic(ing) and the young sheep will follow the next trend. (i.e. every rapper in the 2000's rocking jerseys, there were at least 5 stores dedicated to jerseys in the mall, now we're lucky to find One)
Agree 100% I was around for the Jersey era...

The "shoe game" isn't a monolith. Go back 7-10 years and you had an AF1 bubble, with women's invisibles and stuff. That burst. The AF1 market is weak as hell now. (I love it). Then, the dunk/SB bubble grew, but that popped too - I've been picking up a lot of dunks for quite cheap recently.
The Jordan market is probably the most stable of all, but even that ebbs and flows.
The Foam market used to be non-existent - with pairs sitting forever and getting marked down. Even those black neons and reds from like 2006 were still sitting like bricks. Now, that market blew up. It will collapse.
At some point, Dunks and AF1s will become hot again. It's all cyclical. So, it's less about one big bubble and more like a shell game. If you're a serious collector in it for the long haul and not for e-props, the best thing to do is treat it like the actual market and buy low. If you like AF1s and Dunks, you should be buying them now. If you like Foams, you should be waiting for the hype spotlight to shine elsewhere.
All that said, remember, the prices you see listed for items are the prices of things NOT selling. If they sold, you wouldn't see the listings anymore. A lot of people think their kicks are really valuable and are in a rude awakening when they try to sell them and find out that very few actually pay "list price."

You post makes a lot of sense, I wonder if the AF1 and Dunks will ever get back to what they used to be, all the lines used to be for SB's I remember when they first came out there prices were higher than hyped up shoes now a days because they had such low quantities compared to GR and even limited Jordans and foams....

Jordan is so hyped cuz celebs + social media. Rappers talking polo made polo hot again. It's a cycle.

itll burst soon but nike is contributing to it by saturating the market. just look at this upcoming wknd, nikes got the foams/lebrons/jordans releasing and the hype def isnt there like it would be earlier this year.

THIS.

Especially the very last few words.
.."very few actually pay 'list price ".

CHURCH.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom